Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Desperado"

Default Re: Happy 37th birthday Desperado!

Oh, he does. He is such a cutie there, too!

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Another song from the album - 21!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXODfq4yDA0[/ame]

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I'am late but Happy Anniversary DESPERADO!
    It is one of my favorite albums and I hear it very often, there is simply not one weak song on this great album! I think Desperado is one of those albums where everything sounds right. I LOVE it!Soda, thanks for the videos, love Doolin Dalton!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

You're not late, Koala. This whole week is Desperado week!

How hot is this performance??? Wild!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlEM6bryMsc[/ame]

Border Desperado GettheLeadonOut!!'s Avatar

Happy birthday Desperado! This too is my favorite album because it plays up the strength of all four members talents. Not a bad cut on the whole thing. My favorite moment is the band's lush counter harmony vocals meeting up with Don's incredible lead vocal on Doolin Dalton> Desperado Reprise ("...maybe...tomorrow"). Gives me goosebumps every time.

I've wondered had they released the title cut as a single perhaps it would have fared better on the charts, but at the time the band was probably hesitant about putting out a ballad and were really trying to establish themselves as a rock band, hence they released Outlaw Man instead (Randy does some smoking basswork on this gem):

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfsC8IO8SGI[/ame]
    High up on his own, the Eagle flies alone and he is free...

Oh my gosh, that is such a great bass solo! And how often do you have a song that features bass like that? LOVE it!

I actually have that whole concert available to stream here: https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...dshowvideo.htm

I love how they talk about their then-new album Desperado during that show, and the charming moments like Bernie asking everyone to please come see them at Amsterdam the next night because apparently they were nervous about attendance. Guess they don't have to worry about that anymore!

Once they added Felder and Glenn didn't have to play as much guitar, he moved to the piano for Outlaw Man. Love this version from Seattle 1976, where Glenn pounds the heck out of that piano in addition to all that great guitar and bass from the other guys:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4R57StFIf8[/ame]

hope you guys don't mind that i added them on youtube lol.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I love watching all these videos - and, yeah, I know I've already seen them tons of times before, but I never get tired of them. I was posting in the Name That Eagles Tune thread a few minutes ago, and was thinking about the lyrics to my 2nd favorite song on this album, Tequila Sunrise. Soda and I were talking about this a while ago when I saw her lyrics on EOC. I always thought the last line of the song was "This old world still looks the same ... another friend" instead of "... another frame". Either way, it really doesn't significantly change the meaning of the line anyway. It boggles my mind that the first two songs that Don and Glenn ever wrote together, Desperado and Tequila Sunrise, both have such introspective lyrics. True greatness in the making!!!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Desperado GettheLeadonOut!!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I love watching all these videos - and, yeah, I know I've already seen them tons of times before, but I never get tired of them. I was posting in the Name That Eagles Tune thread a few minutes ago, and was thinking about the lyrics to my 2nd favorite song on this album, Tequila Sunrise. Soda and I were talking about this a while ago when I saw her lyrics on EOC. I always thought the last line of the song was "This old world still looks the same ... another friend" instead of "... another frame". Either way, it really doesn't significantly change the meaning of the line anyway. It boggles my mind that the first two songs that Don and Glenn ever wrote together, Desperado and Tequila Sunrise, both have such introspective lyrics. True greatness in the making!!!
    So true, two of their earliest collaborations and also two of their finest.

I also have to imagine that there must be a studio version somewhere in the vaults with the deleted lyric about going down to Mexico still intact that is just itching to be released. I've always liked that lyric as it ties in the whole theme of the album of desperados running from the law:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80qIZTuez2k[/ame]
    High up on his own, the Eagle flies alone and he is free...