Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "On the Border"

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: "On the Border" Anniversary Appreciation Thread

First of all, great idea to celebrate the albums anniversaries! I love all the board styles and it's fun to use different ones.

I went back all the way to January 2007 when we 'Ranked the 6 studio albums' thread. I can't believe it's been that long ago! Here's what I wrote about OTB back then:

#3-On the Border. I love 6 of the 10 songs on this one. You Never Cry like a Lover and Midnight Flyer I don't care for and My Man and On the Border are just ok. Two favorites here, Already Gone (rocks) and Best Of My Love (Don's soulful voice).

It looks like these two songs are pretty much eveyone's favorites still. But how in the world did I skip over Good Day In Hell? I absolutely love it and would so love for them to do it in concert. (I know-it ain't ever gonna happen.) Maybe because I hadn't seen it on one of the old boots yet. Glenn rocks out on it! I'm also very disappointed that they dropped AG from their set list. It's still up there as one of my all time favorites and so is BOML.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Just a couple of comments about the songs I haven't mentioned yet:

Ol'55: I love this. I love the whole atmosphere of it. A while ago we had a discussion on whether it might actually be about a dying man as opposed to a man who's just left his lover's house in his car. I love Glenn's piano and vocals and the way Don sings the bridge.

James Dean: Slightly corny perhaps but somehow it works. My favourite part is 'so hungry and so lean', not only because it is a Shakespearean reference but I don't necessarily think it's only about James Dean if you get my drift.

On The Border: Scarlet Sun made an excellent comment on how she likes the Temptations bridge. Spot on. When they all take the vocal parts in that section it's like the Temptations' socially conscious songs like Ball Of Confusion. It works very well (although my favourite is the 'and we wanna know' part. DOH). I think it captures the Nixon era very well. They haven't really done anything else like it, although perhaps Business As Usual harks back to it (as does Inside Job).

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    On The Border: Scarlet Sun made an excellent comment on how she likes the Temptations bridge. Spot on. When they all take the vocal parts in that section it's like the Temptations' socially conscious songs like Ball Of Confusion. It works very well
    Randy - Eddie Kendricks
    Bernie - Melvin Franklin
    Glenn - Paul Williams
    Don - Dennis Edwards

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Our post yesterday got me to wondering which of the tracks on the album the band has performed live. I think it may be as follows, but anyone feel free to correct this if you know of something different.

Performed live:

Already Gone
    Midnight Flyer
    James Dean
    Ol' 55
    Good Day In Hell
    The Best Of My Love

Never performed live:

You Never Cry Like a Lover
    My Man
    On the Border
    Is It True?

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

And isn't funny that the title song has never been performed live especially since it does get quite abit of radio play?
    He sings it high, he plays it low

According to my live show collection, you're right about which songs have been performed live, Dreamer. Oh, how I'd love to hear Best of My Love or Ol' 55 in person! Perhaps they skipped the title track because they couldn't reproduce its sound effectively live. It remains the only Eagles title track to never be played in concert. However, I have no explanation as to why they never performed Bernie's masterpiece, My Man.

Regarding the sexism in You Never Cry Like a Lover - perhaps I've just read too much feminist literature, lol, but I chafe at how the guy in the song blames EVERYTHING on the woman and her lack of sexual response to him. I've got news for this guy. If a woman isn't enjoying sex with you, perhaps YOU'RE the one that needs to "try a little harder." To me, it sound like a typical sexist male response when things don't go right in the bedroom.

That said, it has good points. I love the broken down carousel metaphor, and while I don't appreciate the lyrics, I do like the way the song picks up energy at the "Try a little harder part." Unfortunately, that energy dissipates as soon as we get back to the verse. My favorite part is the repeated "I was hoping you were the one..." where we get a little insight into the stark bitterness of the rest of the song. However, that bitterness - which yes, comes off in a sexist way to me - leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and the plodding nature of the verses and spiritless ending drags the song down on a musical level as well.

JMHO!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    However, I have no explanation as to why they never performed Bernie's masterpiece, My Man.
    I hope they did, and we just don't know about it yet

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Regarding the sexism in You Never Cry Like a Lover
    there's at least one on every album, and these are the tracks that score a "1" on my scale

I've never thought of sexism when hearing You Never Cry Like A Lover. I hear a man who may have been trying hard and the woman not responding in a positive way to his approaches. Possibly the man senses a love gone sour or something like that. And is pleading one last time and explaining his point of view.

Stuck on the Border

There's no argument about what you say here, but Soda's point is that the narrator blames the entire situation on the woman. At least in Best Of My Love he tries to see the situation from both sides.

There's no doubt the song can be taken from that perspective.

My perspective is maybe she is to blame in this particular relationship.