Page 6 of 156 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Default Re: Glenn Mentions in the Press/in Blogs etc.

Right on, FP!

Stuck on the Border

The song from Girls Just Want To Have Fun is called On The Loose and is sung by someone called C. Farren, according to GFO.

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/...ontheloose.htm

You're right, FP. This guy obviously doesn't know what he's talking about. Two of the five 80s soundtracks he claims Glenn was on - and that he says are "extremely bad" - are not even sung by Glenn. Glenn has a writing credit on them. That hardly qualifies as "appearing on the soundtrack" in the commonly understood sense.

You know these lazy journalists. They go to some site like IMDB or the All Music Guide, look up "Glenn Frey" and "Soundtracks," copy and paste what they find, then pretend they actually know something about the songs firsthand. What do you wanna bet this guy never even listened to the songs he's criticizing, but just made the pronouncement in some misguided attempt to be clever?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

When he's bad, Frey is extremely bad.
    Well, that is rather harsh. I prefer to go with GA's sentiment ...

When he's good, Frey is extremely good!

However, in fairness, I do see the point the writer is trying to make. IMO, there is a pretty big drop-off in quality in those latter-mentioned songs. I really would have to disagree that Flip City is a great song. And as far as On the Loose, well, err ... let's just say it's not Glenn's best work. I'm glad he isn't the one singing it.

Too bad the focus of the article was about 80's soundtracks because, as FP mentioned, Glenn did make one helluva comeback on the Thelma and Louise soundtrack.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    However, in fairness, I do see the point the writer is trying to make. IMO, there is a pretty big drop-off in quality in those latter-mentioned songs. I really would have to disagree that Flip City is a great song. And as far as On the Loose, well, err ... let's just say it's not Glenn's best work. I'm glad he isn't the one singing it.
    Flip City isn't my favorite song; it's a bit too gimmicky - but hey, it was Ghostbusters. I agree that On the Loose isn't the greatest.

But I actually find the song The Lonely Guy to be moving and effective. I feel its simple, mournful melody is perfectly reflective of the poignant sentiment of the song; I love the harmony that begins in the second verse; I love the way there is a brief melodic surge evocative of desperate urgency in the plea "In a world where so many people need love so desperately, don't it make you wonder why there's a lonely guy?" which then returns to that mournful melody to finish with "Don't pass by... one lonely guy." Those who haven't heard it can listen to it here:

Stuck on the Border

Regarding Flip City I have a blind spot. I've always loved it. It isn't quite like anything else he's ever done. I take your point about the 'gimmicky' aspect but that's part of its charm. It rocks so hard. That 'I wanna know WHY' part at the end is one of my absolute favourite vocal moments.

Just a cute mention, excerpted from a blog:
    Hey Glenn…where’s my 15 bucks? L.A in the mid ‘60’s is difficult to explain to people that weren’t there. It was, (and I suppose, remains to this day), full of famous people…most of whom were not famous yet.

[...]

The Detroit transplant I used to hang out with at the Troubadour and other bars turned out to be Glenn Frey.

[...]

So yeah, you always knew a bunch of famous people, but they usually weren’t famous until long after you met them. That is really difficult to explain to friends years later, who think you’re dropping names, but in your reality, just telling a story about some guy you used to know that still owes you 15 bucks for a case of beer who happened to end up as an Eagle.

http://fyimusic.ca/dont-believe-a-wo...h-bob-segarini

Great story. Hey, I think Glenn can afford to repay his debt now!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Awwww! How cute.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Glenn's "The Heat Is On" has become the theme song of the current Missouri police crack-down on traffic violations. Check out the video made to his song! Heck, I'd be scared to speed with that police force coming at me!

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/ato...es_heat_on.php

(Brooke - don't you feel safer already? )