Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tacoma Dome, Tacoma, WA - 8/25

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Default Re: Tacoma Dome, Tacoma, WA - 8/25

Thanks Jane and HB!!!! I am going to the San Diego show on October 4. I went to LA forum on January 25 and was 5th row, but it was not VIP - they didn't do VIP for those 6 shows. You can see my report in that thread, it's pretty funny (and manic).

Quote Originally Posted by StephUK View Post
    I felt the same about the 2 shows I went to in London back in June. The 'rules' almost spoiled the shows for me too. The atmosphere wasn't like it used to be at Eagles shows.
    I also felt that the set list did little to help on the sitting/ standing issue. The set-list didn't 'flow' like it usually does. After the intermission, the audience stood up, then sat down, then stood up again, etc....... and were looking around before they stood up, to check if others were standing; no-one wanted to be the first to stand & get told off by the gestapo.
    If anyone reached for their phone, the gestapo jumped up in about 2 seconds. They also seemed to expect us to pass the message along the row to someone sat near the middle - thus disturbing at least half of the people on the row. I wanted to tell them to 's*d off'.

I'm disappointed to hear that they're still holding on to all these 'rules' - they must be aware that the audiences aren't happy about it. The newspaper reviews from the European shows all commented, and, on the whole, not favourably. Still, as long as the Eagles can sell seats & make money, why should they care? and, it seems they don't.

Yes, Steph is a disillusioned, and still-upset-after-two-months, long time Eagles fan.
    It would be interesting to see what some of the other long-time fans say about the rules situation...I am a relative newcomer to the Eagles fan base...I grew up with their music but lost track of them until recently...

At the first Forum show on 1/15...Glenn was mad that people were dancing during the first couple of songs and he said in a very firm voice: "I'm only going to say this ONCE...!!!" and then went on and requested that people not stand up and block other people "especially during the ballads"! It was like being yelled at by the scary high school Principal! ha! Plus, no one was sure which songs were ballads and which ones weren't, all of the time!

It's tricky...technically they're right, that all of the electronic devices plus having people standing and dancing throughout the show can interfere with others being able to enjoy themselves.

But, it does start to feel restrictive and my husband's analysis is really depressing, he says it's just that they've gotten "old"! (my husband and I are old, too, for the record!)

One woman standing in line in front of me on Monday did say "who do they think they are, banning electronic devices...?!"

I was wondering how other concerts are handled by other big-name groups...a lot of the other concerts I go to are outdoor arenas and they are always looser, but even Steely Dan bans cameras at their outside shows! This might be the new normal, unless enough people complain and/or stop buying tickets...everything comes down to ticket sales, right?!

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jane B. View Post
    It would be interesting to see what some of the other long-time fans say about the rules situation...I am a relative newcomer to the Eagles fan base...I grew up with their music but lost track of them until recently...

At the first Forum show on 1/15...Glenn was mad that people were dancing during the first couple of songs and he said in a very firm voice: "I'm only going to say this ONCE...!!!" and then went on and requested that people not stand up and block other people "especially during the ballads"! It was like being yelled at by the scary high school Principal! ha! Plus, no one was sure which songs were ballads and which ones weren't, all of the time!

It's tricky...technically they're right, that all of the electronic devices plus having people standing and dancing throughout the show can interfere with others being able to enjoy themselves.

But, it does start to feel restrictive and my husband's analysis is really depressing, he says it's just that they've gotten "old"! (my husband and I are old, too, for the record!)

One woman standing in line in front of me on Monday did say "who do they think they are, banning electronic devices...?!"

I was wondering how other concerts are handled by other big-name groups...a lot of the other concerts I go to are outdoor arenas and they are always looser, but even Steely Dan bans cameras at their outside shows! This might be the new normal, unless enough people complain and/or stop buying tickets...everything comes down to ticket sales, right?!
    Jane, it so happens we have an entire thread devoted to the topic!

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/foru...ead.php?t=5231
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Jane, it so happens we have an entire thread devoted to the topic!

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/foru...ead.php?t=5231
    Oh, wow...Thanks, VA! As you can see, I'm not great at keeping up - thanks for letting me know!

I was wondering how other concerts are handled by other big-name groups...a lot of the other concerts I go to are outdoor arenas and they are always looser, but even Steely Dan bans cameras at their outside shows! This might be the new normal, unless enough people complain and/or stop buying tickets...everything comes down to ticket sales, right?![/QUOTE]

I think The Eagles are by far, the most restrictive in terms of taking pix.
    Having rules about not standing is ridiculous. Rules like that should be posted on the TM buying page so customers understand the experience they are purchasing in more detail. It is not unreasonable for a customer to purchase a ticket with the expectation of being able to stand during the show or check a cell phone for a message. Henley says picture taking and videoing ruins the experience for others. It is true, when a person lifts his camera up the view of others is blocked. I always use a view finder and make a conscious effort to respect the space of others. Later arriving people, seated in front of me, who are confused where their seat are more annoying to me. Next rule will be late arrivals will not be seated until intermission. It's the Eagles prerogative to run the show the way they want to. Too bad they have to be so restrictive.

Steely Dan was not at all restrictive at The Beacon Theatre. I
    shot several songs in their entirety. here are the first three from their Royal Scam album played in its entirety:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0Du...c4BiBZcC5dJHUg
    I am looking forward to the 2 MSG shows I will be attending. Will leave the camera at home. I have plenty of pix of the band and I'll just sit back and take it all in. Hope to see many of you there!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I'm not crazy about some of the band's policies either, but, as a very short person, I do have to say that I appreciate being able to see the show. This band has never really been known to comply with the traditional way of doing things, so maybe they truly are leading the way for the 'new normal' when it come to concert. Maybe, it's me getting old, but I have to say I prefer this a lot more than I do an out-of-control crowd.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I think the key word her should be 'reasonable'. If specific people in the audience are acting in a way which spoils the show for others, then it's right that security should deal with that. If someone next to me or directly in front of me is significantly blocking your view by holding a camera in front of your face, of sitting on the back of their seat etc, then I would speak to them myself.

When I go to a show I expect people to stand & dance some of the time. I'm not very tall, but I usually find that I can move to my left or right a bit to see around someone standing in front of me. I also accept that people like to take photos - myself included, and this is OK. I like to think I'm thoughtful when I take photos, and don't have my camera held up high all the time blocking others' view.

A concert is a leisure activity, a time for people to relax & enjoy themselves, and something to remember afterwards. If the relaxation & enjoyment is taken away by too many rules & gestapo security, then it ceases to be what it was intended to be.

On the subject of other bands rules etc, I mentioned before I think, that when I saw Matchbox Twenty last year it was the exact opposite of an Eagles show....and the atmposhere was great. We were encouraged to take photos & post them on the band's facebook page, where they have albums set up ready for fans to post their show photos. I know Hell will freeze over before the Eagles are that relaxed about it, but they could loosen up a bit. It may be right that they're becoming grumpy old men!

p.s. I think maybe this should be in the other thread. Sorry.

Steely Dan was not at all restrictive at The Beacon Theatre. I
    shot several songs in their entirety. here are the first three from their Royal Scam album played in its entirety:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0Du...c4BiBZcC5dJHUg
    I am looking forward to the 2 MSG shows I will be attending. Will leave the camera at home. I have plenty of pix of the band and I'll just sit back and take it all in. Hope to see many of you there![/QUOTE]

Thank You So Much for the Steely Dan link!

I spent so much on the Eagles VIP tickets, I didn't think I could afford to see Steely Dan this summer (they played 2 nights at Marymoor Park outside of Seattle) and I am still kicking myself for not going anyway! I normally see them every chance that I get - they usually come by once a year!

I love a lot of bands and I really love the Eagles, but Steely Dan has a special spot in my heart, I must admit!

Thanks again for sharing the video! Very nice of you!

Glad to hear that the music was good!

I understand about "the rules" being a downer, and we do discuss it in that other thread linked to above at length. There's always room for more input if anyone would like to visit it and add some additional thoughts.

It sounds like the rest has done them good, though, and they're on their game!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten