Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Songs you don't like by bands you like?

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Default Songs you don't like by bands you like?

I'm sure most of us will have a few of these - you know those songs by bands you normally really like but have you shaking your heads or reaching straight for the 'skip track' button or equivalent?

Here's a few of mine (just my opinion of course, if you like these songs I have no problem with that):
    Dire Straits - Les Boys is the only song from their main studio albums that I do not have on my iPod. I don't like the subject matter (I don't handle 'camp' well), and having a track like this at the end of an album as stellar as Making Movies doesn't help either. I am also not a fan of Twisting By The Pool but I don't have ExtendedancEPlay so hardly ever hear it (it's on my Dad's Money For Nothing CD but I've never uploaded it). I don't mind rock 'n' roll type songs that don't have much lyrical depth but it doesn't rock enough for me to enjoy.

Fleetwood Mac - A couple of tracks from Tusk spring straight to my mind. Not That Funny is downright unpleasant and manages to capture the worst aspect of punk music (artless thrashing) without the energy (I am not a punk fan but can understand its appeal to many), while Never Make Me Cry bores me to tears. It just doesn't do anything for me and the music might as well not existent as far as I'm concerned. The studio version of I'm So Afraid also falls flat for me, Lindsey Buckingham sings far too high for my liking which doesn't fit well with the music. However, I love later live versions of it where he sings in a lower voice and the guitar solos are longer and better!

Neil Young - Hangin' On A Limb just doesn't hold my interest - Neil and Linda Ronstadt sing nicely on it but it just feels like a romcom soundtrack song to me (a couple of times I've skipped it after thinking 'why the heck am I listening to this?'). Funnily enough I get on fine with their other duet on the Freedom album The Ways Of Love.

I must admit though that while I have quite a large number of songs by him I don't have many duds, mainly through acquiring what are generally considered to be his better albums (same with Bob Dylan, who I'm sure has plenty of songs I would hate but the three albums I have in my collection are classics (Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited and Blood On The Tracks) so I can't honestly include any of his songs on this list.

Pink Floyd - Dogs of War is IMO awful in just about every respect and is a very poor attempt by David Gilmour to mimic Roger Waters' style and sound, while A New Machine (Parts 1 and 2) probably seemed like a good idea at the time but listening to Gilmour sing some pretty depressing lyrics through a vocoder with almost no music isn't my idea of fun. Take Up Thy Stethoscope And Walk is probably the worst thing Roger Waters has ever written, his songwriting improved hugely after that, and there's a good reason why the band called See Saw 'The Second Most Boring Song I've Ever Heard, Bar Two' (I consider it to be an uninteresting Beach Boys pastiche, and I'm not a particularly great Beach Boys fans).

Although not truly one of my absolute favourite bands, R.E.M. deserve a mention for Shiny Happy People - that song makes me feel nauseous, I absolutely cannot stand it. My sister likes it and sometimes puts it on playlists on the car, when it comes on I put on something loud to block it out (Led Zeppelin's Heartbreaker or Rock And Roll work well, I find). I love some other songs of theirs such as Losing My Religion and Man On The Moon but I cannot stand that one (I know it was meant to be satirical but this aspect of this is drowned out by the 'dumb summer pop anthem' elements, in fact my sister doesn't listen to it as a message song. Bringing in the B-52s to sing on it was a terrible idea IMO).

I haven't included any Eagles songs in my list (there are a couple that would make my list, I might mention these later but wanted to start with other bands) although feel free to mention any you really don't like. The other major favourite of mine I haven't included is Led Zeppelin - I've never heard any real stinkers by them.

One thing I would say is that it's probably best to stick to band line-ups that you do like, if you love Peter Gabriel's Genesis but loathe the Phil Collins led version then I'm not sure you could describe the Collins Genesis as a band you like so couldn't really claim their music to be in the 'songs you don't like by bands you do like' category.

Default Re: Songs you don't like by bands you like?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    I'm sure most of us will have a few of these - you know those songs by bands you normally really like but have you shaking your heads or reaching straight for the 'skip track' button or equivalent?

Here's a few of mine (just my opinion of course, if you like these songs I have no problem with that):
    Dire Straits - Les Boys is the only song from their main studio albums that I do not have on my iPod. I don't like the subject matter (I don't handle 'camp' well), and having a track like this at the end of an album as stellar as Making Movies doesn't help either. I am also not a fan of Twisting By The Pool but I don't have ExtendedancEPlay so hardly ever hear it (it's on my Dad's Money For Nothing CD but I've never uploaded it). I don't mind rock 'n' roll type songs that don't have much lyrical depth but it doesn't rock enough for me to enjoy.

Fleetwood Mac - A couple of tracks from Tusk spring straight to my mind. Not That Funny is downright unpleasant and manages to capture the worst aspect of punk music (artless thrashing) without the energy (I am not a punk fan but can understand its appeal to many), while Never Make Me Cry bores me to tears. It just doesn't do anything for me and the music might as well not existent as far as I'm concerned. The studio version of I'm So Afraid also falls flat for me, Lindsey Buckingham sings far too high for my liking which doesn't fit well with the music. However, I love later live versions of it where he sings in a lower voice and the guitar solos are longer and better!

Neil Young - Hangin' On A Limb just doesn't hold my interest - Neil and Linda Ronstadt sing nicely on it but it just feels like a romcom soundtrack song to me (a couple of times I've skipped it after thinking 'why the heck am I listening to this?'). Funnily enough I get on fine with their other duet on the Freedom album The Ways Of Love.

I must admit though that while I have quite a large number of songs by him I don't have many duds, mainly through acquiring what are generally considered to be his better albums (same with Bob Dylan, who I'm sure has plenty of songs I would hate but the three albums I have in my collection are classics (Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited and Blood On The Tracks) so I can't honestly include any of his songs on this list.

Pink Floyd - Dogs of War is IMO awful in just about every respect and is a very poor attempt by David Gilmour to mimic Roger Waters' style and sound, while A New Machine (Parts 1 and 2) probably seemed like a good idea at the time but listening to Gilmour sing some pretty depressing lyrics through a vocoder with almost no music isn't my idea of fun. Take Up Thy Stethoscope And Walk is probably the worst thing Roger Waters has ever written, his songwriting improved hugely after that, and there's a good reason why the band called See Saw 'The Second Most Boring Song I've Ever Heard, Bar Two' (I consider it to be an uninteresting Beach Boys pastiche, and I'm not a particularly great Beach Boys fans).

Although not truly one of my absolute favourite bands, R.E.M. deserve a mention for Shiny Happy People - that song makes me feel nauseous, I absolutely cannot stand it. My sister likes it and sometimes puts it on playlists on the car, when it comes on I put on something loud to block it out (Led Zeppelin's Heartbreaker or Rock And Roll work well, I find). I love some other songs of theirs such as Losing My Religion and Man On The Moon but I cannot stand that one (I know it was meant to be satirical but this aspect of this is drowned out by the 'dumb summer pop anthem' elements, in fact my sister doesn't listen to it as a message song. Bringing in the B-52s to sing on it was a terrible idea IMO).

I haven't included any Eagles songs in my list (there are a couple that would make my list, I might mention these later but wanted to start with other bands) although feel free to mention any you really don't like. The other major favourite of mine I haven't included is Led Zeppelin - I've never heard any real stinkers by them.

One thing I would say is that it's probably best to stick to band line-ups that you do like, if you love Peter Gabriel's Genesis but loathe the Phil Collins led version then I'm not sure you could describe the Collins Genesis as a band you like so couldn't really claim their music to be in the 'songs you don't like by bands you do like' category.
    I get what you are totally saying JCL, I love Nazarath but there are only two songs on Hair of the Dog I like and the rest of their stuff is just not the same at all. I watched a 1973 Led Zepplin concert the other night and I could hardly stand to hear it and I like them a lot too, but the music was so drawn out...I'll have to think about this an come up with a few albums.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post

Les Boys is peculiar. I like the ambience of it and in a way it's a bit of relief at the end of the jaw-dropping magnificence of that album, my second favourite album after Revolver. It also annoys me that Mark mispronounces 'Mercedes'. However.... I don't know. The Cabaret style piano is very effective.

I am not a fan of Love Over Gold or It Never Rains (my least favourite DS album). Neither of those songs go anywhere, no matter how hard I try. Then there is On Every Street. My Parties... WHY?

I love Hangin' On A Limb. Freedom is my second favourite Young album after Rust Never Sleeps. But there are a lot of his songs, particularly the endless Crazy Horse 'jams' that are just self-indulgent.

I'm not the world's biggest Fleetwood Mac fan but a couple of Christine McVie songs, Sugar Daddy & Oh Daddy (HMMM) I don't like much.

I like Shiny Happy People. I don't like the Monster album, Murmur is overrated & so is Automatic For The People. Ignoreland & Star Me Kitten are not good tracks.

You don't mention the Beatles. There are only a couple - Revolution 9, Little Child, Dizzy Miss Lizzy. That's it.

As for Led Zeppelin I could perhaps do without Moby Dick & Bonzo's Montreux. That's it.

Dylan & the Stones will require more thought. Basically I like to think I don't own their 'bad' albums.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I am going to stick to bands and artists I really, really like. If they aren't a favorite, it's probably because there's been a few too many songs I don't like. Also, I'm going to stick to only ones that were hits, because all bands and artists put questionable filler on albums.

Eagles - my favorite band - I've discussed my opinion of Last Resort on another thread.

MercyMe - my second favorite band, and a Christian band. Homesick. I don't need to hear anyone sing about being homesick.

Billy Joel - Allentown. Why? I have no idea, but I've never liked this song.

Bob Seger - You'll Accomp'ny Me. I just never got into it and usually skip it.

Sinatra - Send In the Clowns. I detest this song.

That's all I can think of at the moment...
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Border Troubadour

King of Hollywood is easily my least favourite Eagles song.

Stuck on the Border

Hangin' On A Limb is beautiful! Usually I don't pay too much attention to Neil Young's lyrics. There are exceptions (usually they are hilarious lines), and the line "And though their love was hangin' on a limb, she taught him how to dance" is lovely.

In Too Deep is a horrible song from a great band IMO (Genesis, that is).
    Almost all of Momentary Lapse Of Reason and most of The Division Bell by "Pink Floyd".
    I Pledge Allegiance To The State Of Rock And Roll by KISS is unbelievably bad. The only positive - and real - thing about it is Gene's loose bass playing in the verses. The lyric is like something written by a 8-year old boy at school. "I only went for the things I liked."
    Disco Strangler, of course.
    Need Your Loving Tonight by Queen is absolutely terrible IMO. The riff is dumb. "Come on baby, let's get together. I'll love you baby, I'll love you forever"
    Some YES songs from the Trevor Rabin era are awful - especially on the Talk album. Plus Trevor seemed to love his own voice so much.
    This has been discussed before, but I find Not A Second Time by the Beatles totally pointless musically. I still can't remember how it goes. But I know that some people here love it.
    I'm probably in the minority, but I just don't get stuff like Your Wildest Dreams by the great Moodies.
    Last edited by chaim; 01-01-2015 at 07:49 AM.

Eagles - The Disco Strangler, Lyin' Eyes (TDS is just not good, LE can't keep my attention)

Beatles - Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da (it's never done anything for me)

Rolling Stones - Paint It Black, Some Girls (PIB is just "weird to me", SG is too repetitive and IMO dumb)

Led Zeppelin - Achilles Last Stand (just not a fan of that particular song)

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Gimme Back My Bullets (way too long and repetitive and not a fan of that entire album really)

Aerosmith - Angel (just bad IMO), Dude Looks Like A Lady (it has never done anything for me and is just too silly plus I find Steven Tyler making fun of Vince Neil for looking like a woman laughable in present day, when today it's the pot calling the kettle black and is ironic since Neil looks more like a man than Tyler.)

Fleetwood Mac - Little Lies (just not a fan of that song or that period of the band TBH)

AC/DC - Who Made Who (just not a fan at all and I love 99 percent of AC/DCs music)

Stuck on the Border

Wow Austin! PIB! It was the absolute highlight of the November show. It rocked. I've always loved it!

Chaim, I love In Too Deep & Your Wildest Dreams. Sorry, I should stick to the main idea of the thread.

Bob Seger - Her Strut ('they do respect her but/they love to watch her strut')! Oh dear. Along with Betty Lou's Gettin' Out Tonight & The Horizontal Bop from the same album (Against The Wind) I regard this as Seger's low point.

I love Phil Collins era Genesis. Love it & I'm proud of it. But the song Invisible Touch is a bit TOO processed & mechanical. The same goes for Phil's Sussudio. His version of You Can't Hurry Love annoys me too but then I had no time for the original.

Elton John - Nikita. UGH. I don't like Princess either. Too bland.

We did have a thread about Eagles songs we didn't like so perhaps that should be revived. I have a few Henley songs I could add to it.

Stuck on the Border

Well, there are other Moody tracks I don't get as well, but Your Wildest Dreams is one people know, so I mentioned it. To Share Our Love is IMO perhaps their worst song. With YWD I can at least see why it's popular - an appealing lyric and a catchy melody, but I can't hear anything in TSOL that would make me go "That's why Mike wrote it". Musically I can't hear any kind of hook.
    I think it's the production and the synth bass that bothers me most about YWD. Justin uses a different tuning on the acoustic guitar in that song, so obviously it started as a strumming thing. I think there could be a nice song in there that was killed by production. If I heard it played more slowly and with just Justin's acoustic, maybe I would like it more. But I don't think I'd like it much more.
    In Too Deep is another song where I can understand its popularity. That kind of thing just does nothing for me.

There are songs I think are just plain bad and songs that I think are pretty good, but personally I don't like them at all. YWD and ITD belong in the latter category.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

[QUOTE=WalshFan88;293249
    Aerosmith - Dude Looks Like A Lady (it has never done anything for me and is just too silly plus I find Steven Tyler making fun of Vince Neil for looking like a woman laughable in present day, when today it's the pot calling the kettle black and is ironic since Neil looks more like a man than Tyler.)
    [/QUOTE]

Austin, you had me here, but I have to agree with you! Never cared for that song either! And Steven really has had a lot of work done, but I love him cause he's just so wild! I also have never cared for Janie's Got A Gun. But, I love Aerosmith!

Since I'm here a couple more:

Eagles-my favorite band-Journey of the Sorcerer, Disco Strangler

Fleetwood Mac-Oh Daddy and Sugar Daddy, like Fp.

John Mellencamp-Jack and Diane
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten