Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334 LastLast

Thread: Listography-Your life in playlists

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Listography-Your life in playlists

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    . If I were to REALLY stretch it Sultans Of Swing is about South London.
    Really? I did not know that. For the record---thought of you Saturday night- we were on the patio playing cards and listening to vinyl and Larry put on Brothers In Arms. What a great album!

New category

List The Best Album Covers Ever Created

Sticky Fingers-Rolling Stones (the infamous real zipper on the crotch)

In Through The Out Door-Led Zeppelin (6 diff covers with 12 different pictures wrapped in brown paper bag so you never knew which cover you were getting-I of course have had to buy several of them to get all of them- still do NOT have just one in the brown paper bag--someday)

Their Satanic Majesties Request- The Rolling Stones (the hologram version with the 4 Beatles hidden in the picture)

Physical Graffiti-Led Zeppelin

Sgt Pepper-Beatles

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath- Black Sabbath

Houses Of The Holy-Led Zeppelin (are you seeing a pattern here?)

Abbey Road- Beatles

Animals- Pink Floyd

Blackout- The Scorpions

Two Sides Of The Moon- Keith Moon

1984- Van Halen

Breakfast in America ( Supertramp

I know there's a lot more I'm not mentioning.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Work is kind of insane right now, so I don't have time to think about this. However, I've always liked the cover of Loverboy's Working for the Weekend. No idea why...
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Really? I did not know that. For the record---thought of you Saturday night- we were on the patio playing cards and listening to vinyl and Larry put on Brothers In Arms. What a great album!
    Just quickly:

'South of the river (Thames) you stop & you hold everything' and 'way on down south London town'.

Glad you like BIA.

Very quickly these are my favourite album covers as opposed to the best:

Sgt Pepper
    Abbey Road
    Rubber Soul
    Sticky Fingers
    Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
    Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only The Piano Player
    Band On The Run
    Venus & Mars
    Breakfast In America (it's very cleverly done)
    Physical Graffiti
    Led Zeppelin IV (it's so iconic)
    After Hours (has the perfect ambience)
    Dark Side Of The Moon

I am not a Chicago fan but I loved some of their logo covers, particularly VIII (I think) with the chocolate.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

This looks like my kind of thread, I like making musical lists!

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesKiwi View Post
    Songs about places - just a couple off the top of my head & with a little help from iTunes (and everything Eagles/solo goes on here automatically of course! ). Some are very specific places, some more abstract...
    I'll have a go at this one, I can think of a fair few from my collection, starting with those songs which mention places by name in the title:

Telegraph Road - Dire Straits (a lengthy road in Michigan although funnily enough there is actually a considerably shorter Telegraph Road near where I live)
    Hollywood Waltz - Eagles
    Hotel California - Eagles
    King Of Hollywood - Eagles
    Carolina In My Mind - James Taylor
    Going To California - Led Zeppelin
    Bron-Yr-Aur - Led Zeppelin (a cottage in Wales)
    Black Country Woman - Led Zeppelin (For non-Brits, the Black Country is the area around Wolverhampton in the West Midlands)
    Mississippi Kid - Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd (could have Neil Young's Alabama as well)
    Sailing To Philadelphia - Mark Knopfler & James Taylor
    Speedway At Nazareth - Mark Knopfler
    San Tropez - Pink Floyd (tenuous - the actual place is called 'St Tropez')
    (Pink Floyd also have 'Grantchester Meadows' - near Cambridge - and 'Southampton Dock')

There are also some Eagles songs where they mention places by name in their lyrics. Off the top of my head I can think of:
    Winslow, Arizona - Take It Easy
    Train Leaves Here This Morning - 1320 North Columbus
    Sante Fe and Oklahoma - Outlaw Man
    Santa Fe and San Antone - Midnight Flyer (similar to San Tropez - the latter should be San Antonio I think)
    Providence (the one in Rhode Island) , The Malibu (California) and Lahaina - The Last Resort
    Houston - The Long Run

In addition, the 'lost verse' of Tequila Sunrise mentions Mexico, Tryin' and In The City both mention a city although do not specifically mention one by name. Although The Sad Café is a fictional name I believe it represents the real Troubadour in Hollywood so that songs also has geographic ties, while I think it is fairly safe to assume that the events described in Life In The Fast Lane and Those Shoes take place in and around L.A.

Additionally, most of the songs on the Dire Straits debut album are meant to be set in specific places - Wild West End and Lions are both about London, Southbound Again and Down To The Waterline are based around Newcastle and In The Gallery mentions both London and Leeds. I think I read somewhere that Sultans of Swing was about a band in a pub in Ipswich but thinking about it South London fits as well. Single Handed Sailor from Communique also has lyrics about the UK capital (it mentions the Cutty Sark and at one point has the line 'he could have said 'Pride of London') while the Spanish City in Tunnel Of Love is a funfair in Whitley Bay, near Newcastle.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    This looks like my kind of thread, I like making musical lists!

I'll have a go at this one, I can think of a fair few from my collection, starting with those songs which mention places by name in the title:

Telegraph Road - Dire Straits (a lengthy road in Michigan although funnily enough there is actually a considerably shorter Telegraph Road near where I live)

Additionally, most of the songs on the Dire Straits debut album are meant to be set in specific places - Wild West End and Lions are both about London, Southbound Again and Down To The Waterline are based around Newcastle and In The Gallery mentions both London and Leeds. I think I read somewhere that Sultans of Swing was about a band in a pub in Ipswich but thinking about it South London fits as well. Single Handed Sailor from Communique also has lyrics about the UK capital (it mentions the Cutty Sark and at one point has the line 'he could have said 'Pride of London') while the Spanish City in Tunnel Of Love is a funfair in Whitley Bay, near Newcastle.
    Sultans specifically says 'way on down south, London town'.
    Portobello Belle is about the Portobello Markets.

Can you give me more information about Telegraph Road being in Michigan?

People on this board will roll their eyes & think 'NO! Freypower is going to do her rant about the Spanish City again'! It's become a place of pilgrimage for me; on my last two visits to the Newcastle area I've insisted on driving past it.

What It Is, from the Sailing To Philadelphia album, is about Edinburgh.
    The magnificent Silvertown Blues from the same album is about a rundown area in south east London near the Millennium Dome.

Fare The Well, Northumberland & Why Aye Man from The Ragpicker's Dream are about Geordies leaving Newcastle. Why Aye Man was inspired by the TV show Auf Widersehn Pet about Geordies working in Germany.

So Far From The Clyde from Get Lucky is about a ship a long way from where it was built in Glasgow. Border Reiver from that album is about a train that runs along the Border region.

Radio City Serenade from Privateering is about Radio City Music Hall.

You're right about Sultans of Swing - I tend to forget about that line. Not sure how given how many times I've heard the song over the years! Being in London makes more sense than Ipswich because Mark Knopfler's primary geographical points of reference tended to be the places he knew best - Newcastle, Leeds and London.

Thinking about it again, although Trafalgar Square seems to be a good fit for the lyrics of Lions I think it might actually be set in Leeds - I believe starlings were a problem species in Leeds in the 1970s, whereas pigeons are far more common in London.

The Wikipedia pages for Telegraph Road the song and U.S. Route 24 show that Telegraph Road is the name of Route 24 for about 80 miles in Michigan:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telegraph_Road_(song)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_24_in_Michigan

Good examples about his solo albums, I agree Silvertown Blues is a great song as well! Sailing To Philadelphia is the only solo Mark Knopfler I own currently although that alone has quite a few references to specific locations in its songs. Going back to Speedway at Nazareth for instance it mentions several racetracks by name (The Brickyard refers to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, most of the others take the name of the city or state).

Earlier this year I was in London with my family and had Mark Knopfler and Dire Straits songs playing in the car when we went past the Cutty Sark (Single Handed Sailor) and the O2 Arena, which is built around the former Millennium Dome (Silvertown Blues).

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    You're right about Sultans of Swing - I tend to forget about that line. Not sure how given how many times I've heard the song over the years! Being in London makes more sense than Ipswich because Mark Knopfler's primary geographical points of reference tended to be the places he knew best - Newcastle, Leeds and London.

Thinking about it again, although Trafalgar Square seems to be a good fit for the lyrics of Lions I think it might actually be set in Leeds - I believe starlings were a problem species in Leeds in the 1970s, whereas pigeons are far more common in London.

The Wikipedia pages for Telegraph Road the song and U.S. Route 24 show that Telegraph Road is the name of Route 24 for about 80 miles in Michigan:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telegraph_Road_(song)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_24_in_Michigan

Good examples about his solo albums, I agree Silvertown Blues is a great song as well! Sailing To Philadelphia is the only solo Mark Knopfler I own currently although that alone has quite a few references to specific locations in its songs. Going back to Speedway at Nazareth for instance it mentions several racetracks by name (The Brickyard refers to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, most of the others take the name of the city or state).

Earlier this year I was in London with my family and had Mark Knopfler and Dire Straits songs playing in the car when we went past the Cutty Sark (Single Handed Sailor) and the O2 Arena, which is built around the former Millennium Dome (Silvertown Blues).
    Surely it's the lions at the base of Nelson's Column? The church of St Martins in the Fields is also mentioned (although not by name, it must be said).

I have always preferred Knopfler's English songs to his Americanised ones. I should have mentioned Back To Tupelo, which refers to how Elvis Presley the movie star is too far from home.

Thanks for the Telegraph Road reference. Also don't forget Speaker's Corner in Industrial Disease. Absolute classic.

This week sees the international football break where the top two divisions of the English league don't play next weekend while England play a pointless friendly match and an only slightly less pointless international qualifier. England have been put in a ridiculously easy group containing thoroughly mediocre teams like Estonia and Lithuania, and San Marino who are happy if they don't let in too many goals, and with two teams going through automatically England shouldn't have to break much of a sweat. In truth, with all respect to the other teams in the group, it would be a disgrace if we failed to qualify.

What do this have to do with playlists, you may ask? Well to amuse myself I had a look at the England squad and started to wonder how many of their names could be shoehorned into song titles. I had a look through my iTunes library to see whether I could make up a decent little team of players, fortunately I found this was just about possible and even better this could be fitted into English football's most historically popular formation, 4-4-2 (four defenders, four midfielders and two strikers plus the goalkeeper).

I'm guessing some of you won't necessarily recognise these names so here's the England squad in full if you want to check:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32006063

The Hart Of The Matter
    (Joe Hart / The Heart Of The Matter - Don Henley)
    -------------------------
    Walker Of Life
    (Kyle Walker / Walk Of Life - Dire Straits)
    Lily, Rosemary And The Jagielka Of Hearts
    (Phil Jagielka / Lily, Rosemary And The Jack Of Hearts - Bob Dylan)
    Over The Cahills And Far Away
    (Gary Cahill / Over The Hills And Far Away - Led Zeppelin)
    Jail Baines
    (Leighton Baines / Jail Bait - Wishbone Ash)
    ----------------------------
    Another Brick In The Walcott
    (Theo Walcott / Another Brick In The Wall - Pink Floyd)
    Sweet Baby James Milner
    (James Milner / Sweet Baby James - James Taylor)
    From Hank To Henderson
    (Jordan Henderson / From Hank To Hendrix - Neil Young)
    New Kid In Townsend
    (Andros Townsend / New Kid In Town - Eagles)
    ---
    Welbeck To The Machine
    (Welcome To The Machine - Pink Floyd)
    Like A Harry Kane
    (Harry Kane / Like A Hurricane - Neil Young)

The team is listed in order of Goalkeeper-Defenders-Midfielders-Forwards, following the usual convention.

My team originally had Sweet Home Adam Lallana (Adam Lallana / Sweet Home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd) but then I remembered that he had to withdraw from the squad due to injury. I suppose I could have gone for 'Hartache Tonight' or 'What Do I Do With My Hart' as well but given that I already had two songs each by Neil Young and Pink Floyd I didn't want to include another duplicate artist unless absolutely necessary so I went for the Don Henley solo song instead for the goalkeeper.

It was just a fun exercise really, but I'm quite glad I managed to get a full team of eleven players out!

Stuck on the Border

That is so clever JCL. I particularly like 'like a Harry Kane' & the Henderson & Lallana ones.
    Last edited by Freypower; 03-24-2015 at 06:13 PM.

Glad you liked them FP. Something with 'hard' in the title or a similar word would definitely be best for Gerrard - Gerrard's Day Night is an obvious one if probably not the absolute best 'fit'. In some cases I did have to go for the players whose names fitted best rather than the ones most likely to be in the starting eleven (Wayne Rooney's name not being especially conducive to this was quite handy as it gave me a great excuse to leave him out!).

I can think of a few other song titles for some former Liverpool and England players over the last fifteen or so years too:
    Fowler Me Home
    (Robbie Fowler / Follow Me Home - Dire Straits)
    Carragher No
    (Jamie Carragher / Caroline No - The Beach Boys)
    You Can Go Your Owen Way
    (Michael Owen / Go Your Own Way - Fleetwood Mac. He really can go his own way as far as I'm concerned, it's clear that United would never have won that title without him on their substitutes' bench or treatment table... )
    All Shelvey Wants To Do Is Dance
    (Jonjo Shelvey / All She Wants To Do Is Dance - Don Henley)
    Sloop Johnson B
    (Glen Johnson / Sloop John B - The Beach Boys)
    Ibiza Barmby
    (Nick Barmby / Ibiza Bar - Pink Floyd)
    Downing By The River
    (Stewart Downing / Down By The River - Neil Young)
    I Dreamed There Was No Warnock
    (Stephen Warnock / I Dreamed There Was No War - Eagles)

Not complete but at least I managed to find ones for Fowler and Carragher, the two best homegrown players other than Gerrard in the modern era.

I did actually came up with another contemporary one which is Boogie With Sturridge, which is actually quite appropriate given his signature dancing goal celebration!

I've got a few more examples for recent Liverpool players who aren't English:
    Simple Hamann
    (Dietmar Hamann / Simple Man - Lynyrd Skynyrd. Plenty of songs would work for him but this one seemed best)
    All Alonso The Watchtower
    (Xabi Alonso / All Along The Watchtower - Bob Dylan or Jimi Hendrix)
    Whole Lotta Lovren
    (Dejan Lovren / Whole Lotta Love - Led Zeppelin)
    Babel I'm Gonna Leave You
    (Ryan Babel / Babe I'm Gonna Leave You - Led Zeppelin. Would also work for Markus Babbel)
    Allen's Psychedelic Breakfast
    (Joe Allen / Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast - Pink Floyd)
    Portobello Bellamy
    (Craig Bellamy / Portobello Belle - Dire Straits)