Buy Me A Rose - Kenny Rogers
    Diverent stuff from Take That and Backstreet Boys
    Tonight -New Kids On The Block
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Listography-Your life in playlists

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I have a Smokie CD (I don't know if they had any hits in the States but in Britain they had hits with covers of Living Next Door To Alice & Needles & Pins - unless they did the original of 'Alice', I'm not sure).
    Smokie I do know because of the peeps on the Sweet board I belong to. They've turned me on a bit to those songs.

Glad to see I'm not the only one that considers some of Barry Manilow's stuff ok to listen to.

And Soda -Nickelback should NEVER EVER EVER be a guilty pleasure---listen to them proudly, no matter what anyone says!!! LOVE THEM!!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border

"Weird" Al Yankovic -1st concert I took my kids to
    "Save A Horse, Ride a Cowboy"- Big and Rich
    "Candy Man" Christina Aguilera
    "Donovan" Mellow Yellow (this song recently got me a "look" from my son)
    "Cover of the Rolling Stone" Dr. Hook
    Bay City Rollers -My 1st concert (when I was 11)
    "Rockafeller Skank" -Fat Boy Slim
    "Grazing in the Grass" -Friends of Disctinction (Can you dig it?)
    "Henry the VIII, I Am" -Herman's Hermits
    K.C. and the Sunshine Band
    The Knack
    Metallica (certain days every month a little Metallica and a little Bay City
    Rollers can't be beat)
    The Monkees
    "These Boots Are Made For Walking" -Nancy Sinatra
    "Push It" - Salt N Pepa
    "Little Red Riding Hood" Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs
    The Shangri-Las
    "True" -Spandau Ballet
    "Flowers on the Wall" Statler Brothers
    "Free For All" Ted Nugent
    "Wild Thang" Tone Loc
    "The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia" Vicki Lawrence
    "Hash Pipe" -Weezer (moms aren't supposed to like this song)

Border Desperado AmarilloByMorning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    George Strait
    Woot! Woot! Woot! Sign me up!

Some commentary:

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Walk Like An Egyptian-The Bangles
    What's guilty about this? Love them!

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan
    Can't Touch This-MC Hammer
    Ice Ice Baby-Vanilla Ice
    Just A Friend-Biz Markie
    Wild Thing & Funky Cold Medina-Tone Loc
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by Koala
    Total Eclipse of The Heart - Bonny Tyler
    One of my favorite songs of all time. I feel it deserves to be adored, so no guilt there!

Quote Originally Posted by Molly
    "Weird" Al Yankovic -1st concert I took my kids to
    Love him! "Amish Paradise" and "White and Nerdy" are two favorites, and you gotta love the classics like "Fat" - he's great. When it's goofy like that, it's supposed to be a guilty pleasure.

The Monkees
    I was so hardcore into these guys when I was 10-12 that I can't call them a guilty pleasure. I still love 'em. They were my favorite group and I had a crush on Mickey Dolenz. I watched their show on MTV every day, I bought all their albums on cassette tape, and used the family's new computer (purchased in 1986) to write up all the lyrics to their songs, which I called "The Monkee Treasury." Oh gosh, when I type it out, it sounds lame. But remember how young I was! Plus, I wanted badly to have a reason to use the computer. Even then... lol

They were the first rock concert I ever went to (I don't count seeing Leif Garrett when I was four because I was only brought along due to lack of a babysitter. Mom and Dad still love to recount how I spun, jumped around, and clapped my hands to songs like "I Was Made for Dancing" much to the amusement of audience members surrounding us.)

"Push It" - Salt N Pepa
    I almost put this one but decided they had enough street cred not to count.

"True" -Spandau Ballet
    Awesomeness.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Re Weird Al Yankovic, the man is incredibly funny. As well as those Soda mentioned you cannot go past Eat It ('you better chow down or it's gonna get cold'!), Living With A Hernia and It's All About The Pentiums. As a Dire Straits tragic though, I thought his version of Money For Nothing/Beverly Hillbillies missed the mark lyrically, though it's fun to watch. For a perfect parody of Bob Dylan's Subterranean Homesick Blues try 'Bob'.

I thought about Cover Of The Rolling Stone & I don't think it's a guilty pleasure -some of their later stuff like When You're In Love With A Beautiful Woman may class as 'guilty'.

Flowers On The Wall gained instant cred when it was in Pulp Fiction.

Maybe some people think Neil Diamond is a guilty pleasure. I cite the awesome live version of Crunchy Granola Suite (GOOD LORD)! The man is a fantastic songwriter and if you want to hear him at his best try his two most recent albums 12 Songs and Home Before Dark. There is more to him than Sweet Caroline and Brother Love's Travelling Salvation Show (much as I like those songs).

ELO might be another one of my guilty pleasures. Again, I think Jeff Lynne is a great singer, songwriter & producer & I would not swap some of their songs for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Re Weird Al Yankovic, the man is incredibly funny. As well as those Soda mentioned you cannot go past Eat It ('you better chow down or it's gonna get cold'!), Living With A Hernia and It's All About The Pentiums. As a Dire Straits tragic though, I thought his version of Money For Nothing/Beverly Hillbillies missed the mark lyrically, though it's fun to watch. For a perfect parody of Bob Dylan's Subterranean Homesick Blues try 'Bob'.
    Ah, can't forget "Eat It"! I thought his parody of Stevie Nicks' Stop Draggin' My Heart Around called "Stop Draggin' My Car Around" wasn't his best effort either, but perhaps it's because I'm tragic, too.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

The only one I can think of right now is Walking On Sunshine by Katrina and the Waves.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border

Ah, can't forget "Eat It"! I thought his parody of Stevie Nicks' Stop Draggin' My Heart Around called "Stop Draggin' My Car Around" wasn't his best effort either, but perhaps it's because I'm tragic, too.
    Ahhh, all the classics! My favorities include: "Livin' in the Fridge" (Livin' on the Edge), "Spam" (Stand), "Smells Like Nirvana" (Smells Like Teen Spirit), "Pretty Fly for a Rabbi" (Pretty Fly for a White Guy), "Jerry Springer" (One Week) and of course, all of his polka classics!

My brother, Danny, had the permed hair, cheesy little mustache and big glasses in the 70's and early 80's. He looked so much like Weird Al that one of my boys (when they were younger) brought a family photo album to me and aksed why I had so many pictures of Weird Al in the album.

Yes, I agree FP that "Flowers on the Wall" garnered a whole new generation after Pulp Fiction. Both of my kids have that song on their IPods because of that movie. My mom (who adored the Statlers and played their albums endlessly when I was a little girl) would be amused that my kids even know who the Statlers are. She on the other hand would probably not have approved of the song being used in that particular movie!

They were my favorite group and I had a crush on Mickey Dolenz. I watched their show on MTV every day, I bought all their albums on cassette tape,
    MTV???? Cassette tapes????

Some of us watched them as a first run show on NBC when their music only came out on vinyl.
    I am not an island
    I am not alone
    I am my intentions
    Trapped here in this flesh and bone