Page 105 of 109 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109 LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1086

Thread: Led Zeppelin

Default Re: Led Zeppelin

Just got the Physical Graffiti remaster the other day and I'm LOVING it. It just might be my favorite LZ album.

The song that is surprising me the most is HOTH. I LOVE that song! Kashmir is still probably my fav, but HOTH is close behind.

Also, I had a funny experience. I hadn't listened to the Rover in a very long time. I have this guitar riff that I thought was original, but I heard that song and it was like oh crap, that is the riff I've been calling my own. It must have subconsciously made it into my brain as I haven't listened to that song really at all, lol.

Stuck on the Border

I go through that all the time - listen to something I haven't heard in 15 years and I go "So THAT's where I got that song of mine from".

Rover - a killer riff. But everything about this song is great. Plant came up with just the right melodies, as usual. My favorite on this album is probably In The Light. That and Ten Years Gone.

Stuck on the Border

My top five from this album:

Kashmir
    Trampled Underfoot
    Down By The Seaside
    Black Country Woman
    Boogie With Stu

I like the quirkier songs. However the entire album is jaw-dropping & the only thing wrong with it is it isn't IV.

Stuck on the Border

Boogie With Stu is great. I love it. But perhaps I think of it more as a cool performance than an actual song.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

My top five from Physical Graffiti would be:
    Custard Pie
    In My Time Of Dying
    Kashmir
    Ten Years Gone
    The Wanton Song

I've noticed that all of my top five are from the group of eight songs recorded by the band in early 1974 at Headley Grange (the other three are Trampled Under Foot, In The Light and Sick Again), as opposed to the seven other songs which were taken from earlier sessions. I believe The Rover, Houses of the Holy and Black Country Woman were originally recorded during the Houses of the Holy sessions, while Down By The Seaside, Night Flight, Boogie With Stu dated from the IV sessions. The Bron-Yr-Aur instrumental is alone amongst this group in dating back to the Led Zeppelin III era. My favourites out of this group are The Rover, Bron-Yr-Aur and Houses of the Holy (quite why the song was left off the eponymous album I don't know, it's better than half of the songs on there I think. Its exclusion was Physical Graffiti's gain though).

In The Light is a terrific song too - one thing Jimmy Page often talks about in his compositions is 'light and shade', and this is a fine example of it, along with songs such as Stairway To Heaven, Ramble On and Over The Hills And Far Away. Where In The Light differs from the norm is the contrast is between the Eastern-tinge synthesiser-based sections and the electric rock portions of the song, rather than the more common contrast between acoustic and electric guitars as in the other songs.

I think disc one of PG (sides one and two of the vinyl) is gold from start to finish. The only one of the four sides which I'd say has any slightly weaker songs is side four. Night Flight doesn't do much for me and I agree that Boogie With Stu is best appreciated as a performance - I wouldn't say it was a great song as such but it sure is good fun, and I certainly enjoy listening to it. I didn't used to like Black Country Woman especially but it's grown on me a fair bit, I've always liked The Wanton Song and Sick Again though so it's still pretty strong.

My top 5 from Physical Graffiti:

Kashmir
    Houses Of The Holy
    Custard Pie
    The Rover
    Trampled Underfoot

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I received the Physical Graffiti remaster on vinyl as part of a Christmas gift from a friend. I'm not as familiar with it as other Zeppelin albums, particularly II, III, and IV(II being my favorite). O do like the songs I'm familiar with, like Kasmir, In My Time of Dying, Ten Years Gone, Houses of the Holy, and Trampled Underfoot.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

That's a very cool Christmas gift, AG. Zeppelin is probably my all-time favorite band. Jimmy Page is a master musician, composer and producer. I put him right up there with Brian Wilson.
    The lead guitar on Trampled Underfoot is sick!

Omg, AG, awesome, awesome, awesome!!

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    I received the Physical Graffiti remaster on vinyl as part of a Christmas gift from a friend. I'm not as familiar with it as other Zeppelin albums, particularly II, III, and IV(II being my favorite). O do like the songs I'm familiar with, like Kasmir, In My Time of Dying, Ten Years Gone, Houses of the Holy, and Trampled Underfoot.
    That's a great gift, hope you enjoy it. PG is my second favourite album of theirs behind IV, as well as being probably my favourite double album.

Given that your favourite Zeppelin album is II, I'm guessing that you tend to like the riff-driven hard rock songs? If so, there should be plenty of music you'll like on Graffiti. Of the songs in this vein, The Wanton Song is a particular favourite of mine, though Custard Pie, The Rover and Sick Again are also very strong. There's a very wide range of different styles on the album though.