Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Music Streaming - good or bad?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Music Streaming - good or bad?

If I like a song like the Verve's Bitter Sweet Symphony or an old song like Radar Love by Golden Earring I will buy it by itself on iTunes. There is no way I would buy an entire album by an artist like that. I have a lot of tracks on iTunes which come from Greatest Hits albums (and a lot of those are one hit wonders). I only buy entire albums by artists I really like. Similarly with artists my husband likes; I have a couple of Blue Oyster Cult tracks on the iPod. There was no way I was going to put every single album he has by them on there.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I've just read through the entire thread. In the 80's the only way most of us got music was on the radio as records and cassettes were very expensive here. They would mainly be a rare purchase, perhaps a birthday or Christmas present. We used record songs off the radio (often guessing when they would be played, missing the first few lines, and having to listen to the DJ talk across the intro!!).
    Nowadays, I'm with Austin in that I like a physical copy of my music for groups and singers that I really like. Glenn , Don, The Eagles themselves, Spandau Ballet. However like FP if I only want one song that a band or singer has released then I will go to itunes. I don't mind paying for them. Realistically an artist deserves to make something on the music he composes and works on and releases.
    The fact that I tend to travel by air a lot (well for me anyway) means that I tend to keep most of my music on my phone or ipad. It is so much more convenient than the old way of having to drag cd's cassettes and even a player around with me when I was going away.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

This is very sad. I know our guys would make a lot more, but then they need to split it up between them. I've never heard of this guy, but he seems to have talent, and he stopped writing music because TV is where the money is. How much future talent will we miss out on because people think they should get their music for free?

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/perm...mingstatements
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

This is better news for those not on a major label. It's from April 2014.

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/perm...ollar-per-play

Another from March 2014, it tries to talk to both sides of the equation.

http://davidbyrne.com/how-will-the-w...-streaming-era
    VK

An article about Metallica and their lawsuit against Napster.

“From a business standpoint, this is about piracy—taking something that doesn’t belong to you; and that is morally and legally wrong. The trading of such information — whether it’s music, videos, photos, or whatever—is, in effect, trafficking in stolen goods.”
    http://ultimateclassicrock.com/metal...letter_4572276
    VK

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I'm personally for it. I pay $10 a month for Spotify. I use Spotify of Youtube to check out new music. If I like the album, I'll put it on my wishlist to eventually buy on a physical format (usually cd or vinyl). I rarely download any music. Personally, I don't want to spend any $$ on an album unless I know that I already like it or its one of my favorite bands /artists.

As far as getting music for free, my parents did that. People used to make "mixtapes" on cassette of the songs they like that they recorded off of the radio. Is streaming really that much different?

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    As far as getting music for free, my parents did that. People used to make "mixtapes" on cassette of the songs they like that they recorded off of the radio. Is streaming really that much different?
    I can remember when we used to borrow albums from friends and record to cassette (or even 7" reels). Positioning the microphone between the speakers could be tricky as was making sure no one walked in and started talking!

The best thing about streaming and digital downloads is they don't take any physical space.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I can remember when we used to borrow albums from friends and record to cassette (or even 7" reels). Positioning the microphone between the speakers could be tricky as was making sure no one walked in and started talking!

The best thing about streaming and digital downloads is they don't take any physical space.
    Sometimes I wish that I was older, so that I could've experienced that hassle.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

The thing about streaming, digital downloads, phones at concerts, putting photos on social media, etc is that things change...better or worse doesn't matter. We either get on board, pretend it doesn't exist and keep on the same way, or vocally boycott it and look like a fuddy duddy. I'd rather be one of the first two...

I'm different in that while I love streaming, I've never bought a song on iTunes, I still go to the store or Amazon and buy a CD if there is an album I really like.

I'm definitely an audiophile and truth be told, digital doesn't sound even as good as a CD, and a CD can't hold a candle to vinyl.

So I stream for convenience, and when I'm ready to do serious listening I put a CD in the stereo or put a record on the turntable. I also have a dedicated laptop that runs the audio from Spotify or Pandora into the stereo, which helps but it's still not the same.

Vinyl ISN'T convenient, and CD's barely convenient (cars), and digital/streaming is extremely convenient.

I think it's definitely the future. I went into a Best Buy the other day, who used to have a huge selection of CDs, only has new releases. CD is dying, and it makes me sad. I'm NOT a fan of MP3s or iTunes. I use Spotify for convenience.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    The thing about streaming, digital downloads, phones at concerts, putting photos on social media, etc is that things change...better or worse doesn't matter. We either get on board, pretend it doesn't exist and keep on the same way, or vocally boycott it and look like a fuddy duddy. I'd rather be one of the first two...
    I'm of the firm belief that if you don't stand up and speak out for what's right, regardless of how it makes you look, you've lost an important piece of yourself. I realize not everyone thinks it's wrong, but if you have something that someone else owns and you didn't pay for it...

Of course, streaming isn't illegal. There's a lot of money being made with streaming and unfortunately the ones that own the publishing rights aren't the ones making the money. That's not why I don't use it, however. I have SiriusXM and while you can do On Demand there, I really only listen to Christian Contempory and Classic Rock and their stations play what I like, so I don't need to go to the effort of streaming.

I'm with Austin on the quality of MP3s. I listen to them a lot, but I've noticed that if you make a CD of purchased MP3s, and play a song from it and then the exact same song on CD, you can hear a big difference. It's like the difference between HD and regular TV. Or pictures in a high resolution or a low resolution. The difference between a live sunset or a picture of one. In so many ways, technology is moving us to 'better', but the trend for music is actually backwards for the last thirty years (well, except for ditching 8 track, that was a good thing).
    VK