Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 1978 live concert at Huntington Beach

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: 1978 live concert at Huntington Beach

He's so mysterious! Mysterious Meis.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

That is really cool finding a new song!!! Thanks Delilah for posting!!!
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

You're welcome Buffyfan. Hopefully at some point we will all get to hear it.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    I think I read somewhere that after Randy left the Eagles, he wrote 20-30 songs with a friend in Nebraska. I can't remember if that was before or after his debut solo album. Does that ring a bell with anyone?
    I checked my Randyfile and didn't find that factoid but then again, it does sound familiar.

His Nebraska sojourn was really quite brief, only a few months. He left the music business approximately December 1978 and went back to Nebraska. By spring of '79, he moved back to California. Still, enough time for a writing spree.

Brief review:

Not a lot of dialogue in the beginning. He also seems just a bit reserved at first. Every song has a sax accompaniment, except Heartsong. Randy shows a lot of range throughout the show.

A special treat is having a live version of TALA. I know there's one from 1982, but this has his Eagles voice. The sax treatment gives it a jazzy feel; it reminds me of the BOML arrangement on the Millenium cd. After, someone says, "Can you throw another log onto the fire?" I suppose referencing the romantic ambience of the performance.

Every Other Day- probably my favorite track from this album. I love the faster tempo here but I miss David Cassidy's backing vocals. Ends abruptly after about 2 1/2 min.

TITTL - starts off with same piano arrangement as on the album then the sax and drums come in. He. Hits. The. High. Note. At. The. End.

Summer Wind- lovely, romantic tune with a breezy feel. Afterward, someone yells, "Midnight Flyer!" (I think). Randy jokingly says, "ok, 1,2,3..we were going to work that one up but we didn't."

I Really Want You Here Tonight - he holds that looong note at the end just like on the album. Afterwards, he introduces the band, saying, "Before I pass out..."

Band introductions - I can barely understand but I recognize some from the album credits: Kerry Morris -bass, vocals; Kelly Shanahan- drums; Danny Ullstrom - guitar, vocals; Scott ? - guitar, vocals. I could not understand who was on synthesizer or plays the gorgeous sax (David ?).

He then says he has to tune; makes me wonder if he's switching over to bass but I hear mainly guitar tuning.

Too Many Hands- some unfortunate tape glitches in the middle but what is cool and unexpected is the instrumental towards the end takes on almost psychedelic feel and a flute accompaniment is added, ala Jethro Tull! Very creative.

Heartsong- same beautiful song, same beautiful performance as on the album.

Best of My Love- my favorite from this show!! He is smokin' hot here. He announces the song, but it's the Emotions one! I think he missed his calling as an R&B singer. Seriously. He hits all those high notes. Now I can better imagine him singing Marvin Gaye on the bus with Tom Erak.

Thank you, Delilah! I'm super excited to hear this. Hopefully, I'll get upgraded by the EZ Torrent mods and... well, I'll take it one step at a time.

Banned

Try And Love Again has turned up on YouTube .. not sure about the sax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YJwnSlSvYA

Thanks a lot for the info and credits Delilah

That audio quality is not nearly as bad as I feared.

Maybe if we keep on wishin' and hopin' like Dusty Springfield, all the tracks will turn up on YouTube.

Funk, you're brilliant at finding things - they didn't even spell "Meisner" correctly.

Thanks for the review Delilah!! So cool!

Also, thanks Funk 50 for the link. I really appreciate it!

You're welcome, Funk50 and ETG.

Yea, I'm glad it's shown up on YT. Hearing a live version of TALA from the 70s was something I didn't think would ever happen. I am thrilled about it (and the rest too)!