Page 97 of 129 FirstFirst ... 478793949596979899100101107 ... LastLast

Thread: Remembering Glenn Frey

Default Re: Remembering Glenn Frey

I'm so glad you all liked that post so much. I was so thrilled to find it and read it. As I said, when people don't have to say something nice about someone and do it anyway, those are the opinions I trust.

I also thought it was lovely what he did for the guys in the band, buying them all new instruments. Not that it surprises me at all, but it's always so nice to read about these kinds of things.

It just proves he was a generous, decent, kind-hearted person. Yes, he had his flaws, but don't we all? It's things like that which prove the kind of person you really are.

With Glenn's passing we lost someone who in spite of all his accomplishments professionally and personally still had much to do. And though it saddens me to reflect on what might have been I can only imagine how difficult it is for his family, many friends and colleagues. Though we will never see Glenn standing on stage under the spotlight again one has only to play one of his records to realize the essence of Glenn Frey can never be diminished.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLg...DI&mode=NORMAL

Very true. The music lives on.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Something I've thought of lately is Glenn and Joe's connection and friendship.

At times I feel that Glenn and Joe got along better and were closer than Glenn and Don were and it was less of a battle between the two powers of the band.

I just see Joe doing stuff in live footage that makes Glenn crack up and I just feel like they got along well. Not necessarily because Joe was a "yes man", but I think that Glenn could appreciate Joe's humor even in the later years. And maybe tensions were less due to the nature of their relationship and it being different than working with your co-founder and fellow songwriter and such.

I mean they did Party Of Two shows (something I wish now I could have seen), they really never had any (TTBOMK) squabbles, and I think they genuinely liked each other. Keeping in mind the Party Of Two thing started before the reunion.

I don't know that Joe didn't get along with any Eagle, although I think Henley and Joe have had their differences, especially over singing Desperado, lol. I don't see a real connection between those two, at least not like Glenn and Joe.

There is footage of a 1992 Party Of Two show on YouTube and it's awesome.

Stuck on the Border

I just hope that the people who were close to Glenn are looking through his work, both released and unreleased to see how it could be made available to a wider (or even just a narrow) audience. As an autobiography is out of the question, maybe even an authorised biography. (The point about authorised is I would want to hear from the people close to him and it's clear that they are quite protective).

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I just hope that the people who were close to Glenn are looking through his work, both released and unreleased to see how it could be made available to a wider (or even just a narrow) audience. As an autobiography is out of the question, maybe even an authorised biography. (The point about authorised is I would want to hear from the people close to him and it's clear that they are quite protective).
    Yes, absolutely agree would love to see something like this happen.

That's an amazing idea. I know there are people looking at his catalog. An authorized biography would also be fantastic.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I would love an authorized biography too. And I agree with you WF88 and loved Glenn and Joe's friendship, and with Pippin about the comments.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Stuck on the Border

Sreenwriter Mark Bomback:
    On his first day on the job as Glenn Frey’s assistant back in 1994, the War for the Planet of the Apes writer exchanged a quick hello with the late Eagles guitarist before being tossed a small black film canister. “It's hot and liquid inside. And he said, ‘I need you to bring my daughter's urine sample to her pediatrician.’ It was that kind of job,” Bomback recalls. “I was like, ‘My pediatrician dad would completely cringe at the idea that he's put in all this work to give me a Wesleyan education, and here I am doing a urine delivery for a rock star's child.’”

Despite the success, he sometimes misses the perks of working for a rock legend like courtside Lakers tickets and an up-close peak at The Eagles 1994 reunion. “Glenn was the most generous person. I had an engagement party and he attended with his wife and regaled all my friends with Eagles stories and he was really lovely to me,” says Bomback, who lives in Chappaqua, N.Y. (Hillary Clinton is a neighbor) with his wife and four children. “I spend a lot of time around people who are famous. And in some ways he was the model as to how you conduct yourself when you’re famous.”
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ram...-start-1026412

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Something I've thought of lately is Glenn and Joe's connection and friendship.

At times I feel that Glenn and Joe got along better and were closer than Glenn and Don were and it was less of a battle between the two powers of the band.

I just see Joe doing stuff in live footage that makes Glenn crack up and I just feel like they got along well. Not necessarily because Joe was a "yes man", but I think that Glenn could appreciate Joe's humor even in the later years. And maybe tensions were less due to the nature of their relationship and it being different than working with your co-founder and fellow songwriter and such.

I mean they did Party Of Two shows (something I wish now I could have seen), they really never had any (TTBOMK) squabbles, and I think they genuinely liked each other. Keeping in mind the Party Of Two thing started before the reunion.

I don't know that Joe didn't get along with any Eagle, although I think Henley and Joe have had their differences, especially over singing Desperado, lol. I don't see a real connection between those two, at least not like Glenn and Joe.

There is footage of a 1992 Party Of Two show on YouTube and it's awesome.
    I was lucky enough to go to Party of Two show in 2010. You could tell they were having a blast.

There's a moment in the "Behind the Scenes" footage from Hell Freezes Over where Glenn is looking really stressed out, and Joe just puts a reassuring hand on his back. I think that moment says a lot. People talk about Glenn as one of "The Gods" and Joe as a "hired hand" and all that, but that's not a guy with his boss, a lesser before a superior. That's a guy with his friend.

And when Joe sang a tribute to Glenn at his memorial, I think we can determine from the accounts that's what he sang... "The Friend Song."

Here are the lyrics:

The Friend Song

I have a friend
    He's like my brother
    And every now and then we sit down
    And we talk to each other

One time we talked
    All about the future
    And we shared each others' dreams and plans
    For later on, when we both had time at hand
    And weren't so damn busy
    Me and my friend