Page 95 of 129 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596979899105 ... LastLast

Thread: Remembering Glenn Frey

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Remembering Glenn Frey

Glenn played guitar right-handed so I assume his guitars would have been strung in the normal way.

@soda: If I ever find that magazine, I'll definitely share it. I checked the Vintage Guitar website, and they do have a list of articles -- unfortunately, the articles themselves aren't archived online. The interview ran in the January and February 2003 issues. We've moved since then, so there's no telling where those magazines went.

I'll keep looking, though.

Stuck on the Border

Dawn posted this on another thread but it also belongs here:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    Aqua Vitae by Tiger Darrow

NYU graduate studied under Glenn Frey

http://www.dallasobserver.com/music/...at-nyu-7946433

One of the movie channels has a marathon of the three Beverly Hills Cop movies.

The first one just started with "The Heat Is On"....

I've always wondered what Glenn would have done for the second movie when Bob Seger got it.

Fun fact, Shakedown was Bob's only #1 hit.

Glenn turned it down because he had laryngitis and wasn't fond of the lyrics as they were presented to him. Bob changed them some and when it went big, Glenn called Bob to congratulate him and said "at least we kept the money in Michigan".

I love both songs, but I've always wondered what Glenn would have sounded like on Shakedown and what changes he would have made.

Stuck on the Border

Just a small comment of the Darrow Taylor interview (posted above).

I thought the contrast between the comments about Glenn from the journalist and the singer-songwriter were quite marked. The journalist, whose comments were based on a viewing of the documentary, wrote quite negatively whereas the singer-songwriter whose comments were based on meeting and working with Glenn were pretty positive. This is a familiar pattern and a good reminder that you can't judge the whole person based on a few interviews or even meeting them under favourable circumstances. Of course, I'm always going to favour those with the personal experience.

@UTW: Agreed. There's no way you can form a really accurate opinion of anyone from watching a single documentary. And a good journalist would realize that. You could say, "I didn't get a very good impression from just the documentary, however, others who have worked with Frey say ....." and go on from there. Just using a single source isn't good reporting. I'm an old newshound myself, so I know this. LOLOL.

As you pointed out, there's always more than one side to a story. Always. And it's crucial to look at the whole picture. I've said as much on another thread. You have to see all sides to get the most accurate picture possible, and even then, you still won't have all the information. Like you, I'm much more apt to consider the opinions of those who worked closely with Glenn for a number of years as the best sources.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Dawn posted this on another thread but it also belongs here:
    Thanks UTW ... for me it's very nice to know the positive and measurable impact Glenn had on people he came in contact with particularly young musicians, singers, songwriters like Tiger. She's very talented and I wish her all the best!

Stuck on the Border

I came across this radio interview with Bob Seger's sax player where he talks about Glenn. Nothing earth-shattering, but still a very appreciative description of someone he came into contact with over many years. Only part 1 is about Glenn.
    http://www.voiceofalexandria.com/ent...6e485a233.html

Stuck on the Border

UTW - Thank you for that interview.

Great interview. Thanks for posting!

Here's a lovely little tidbit I ran across: http://rocknycliveandrecorded.com/ni...lenn-frey.html