Page 242 of 301 FirstFirst ... 142192232238239240241242243244245246252292 ... LastLast
Results 2,411 to 2,420 of 3010

Thread: Eagles Mentions in the Press (2006 - 2017)

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press

Thank you, Dreamer! I wouldn't have been able to move the posts.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I found this (rather subjective) list of the top 100 songs of all time from a UK newspaper today. The Eagles rank at #70 with (yes you guessed it) Hotel California.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/m...-all-time.html

For what's it worth, the number one song is David Bowie's Life On Mars, which surprised me a little.

I was shaking my head at a few of the selections. I wouldn't put someone like Beyonce anywhere near a top 100 songs list, and Everybody Hurts at #10? I like R.E.M., but no way (I think it's overrated, give me Man On The Moon over it easily). I am also cynical about including songs written in 2014 on any such list - it's difficult for me not to consider any nominations as being the 'flavour of the week'. Having said that, I was delighted to see Dylan's fantastic Tangled Up In Blue at #3, with the timeless classic Blowin' In The Wind also making the list. Visions Of Johanna is a great song but I wouldn't include it over Like A Rolling Stone personally. Neil Young's chilling Needle And The Damage Done is another great selection in my view.

There's no Dire Straits, as usual (although Freypower may be interested to know that a certain Rodgers & Hammerstein song covered by Gerry And The Pacemakers was in #88 ), but my beloved Pink Floyd get in with Wish You Were Here at #57 which is fair, although I think the author has missed the point of the song - it isn't comparing life to a war zone, it's about absence, specifically the absence of Syd Barrett.

Making these lists is a thankless task really, I could make a list like this one and get all sorts of stick for it, we all have our own preferences. It's a fairly safe list overall I would say, I've seen better ones but also others with more questionable choices.

Border Troubadour

It should be a thankless task, absolutely no point in producing them.

Stuck on the Border

The higher I went in that list the more I disagreed with it. I don't want to get off topic. I love Life On Mars? but it's not the heartbreaking anthem that Heroes is. And Moondance instead of Into The Mystic? Please.

This seems to be all of the "theories" of what Hotel California means...

Think my favourites are the mental hospital and the occultism ones

One question though - who is that supposed to be in the first picture ???
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

ITA about the Dylan songs JCL and I'm surprised about the number one pick as well, would have put Imagine and Like a Rolling Stone in the top ten and excluded Beyonce completely, also would've liked to see Leonard Cohen better represented, on the other hand I'm happy to see Stand By Me that high on the list, not a very good list overall though

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Is it bad that I've heard only about half of the list? Seriously,there's so many songs that I don't recognize!
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Quote Originally Posted by Lacken101 View Post
    This seems to be all of the "theories" of what Hotel California means...

Think my favourites are the mental hospital and the occultism ones

One question though - who is that supposed to be in the first picture ???
    The article is complete hogwash and has zero basis in reality. I will admit I didn't read the entire thing as it discusses things Americans supposedly thought and felt, and it's obvious by the writing that these people are not Americans (I see now they are Sri Lankans). The fact they put a picture of the 'Eagles', and it's some other band entirely (possibly a tribute band) tells you all you need to know about what they know about the Eagles. It upsets me to think that people might read this and think any of it might be true.

I fully expect to have my malware scan tonight turn up a few things, as a good many of these kinds of news outlets lately have had malware in their pictures and ads.
    VK

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    The article is complete hogwash and has zero basis in reality. I will admit I didn't read the entire thing as it discusses things Americans supposedly thought and felt, and it's obvious by the writing that these people are not Americans (I see now they are Sri Lankans). The fact they put a picture of the 'Eagles', and it's some other band entirely (possibly a tribute band) tells you all you need to know about what they know about the Eagles. It upsets me to think that people might read this and think any of it might be true.
    I didn't actually think it was true, more funny really, as I've said especially about the mental hospital and the occult one.
    I won't put any more links on here as they never seen to be the right ones, I'll leave that to others from now on
    Last edited by L101; 06-05-2015 at 08:02 PM.
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Quote Originally Posted by Lacken101 View Post
    I didn't actually think it was true, more funny really, as I've said especially about the mental hospital and the occult one.
    I won't put any more links on here as they never seen to be the right ones, I'll leave that to others from now on
    No! That's not what I meant!! I realize you thought it was amusing, but I didn't get the impression the people that wrote it thought it was amusing, they really believe what they wrote. We know it's hogwash and so can laugh about it, but there will be some that read this and take it seriously. Actually, putting the link here means that if anyone who reads it gets curious, maybe they'll find us and get the real scoop.
    VK