Page 192 of 301 FirstFirst ... 92142182188189190191192193194195196202242292 ... LastLast
Results 1,911 to 1,920 of 3010

Thread: Eagles Mentions in the Press (2006 - 2017)

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Ugh. I never get why people want to diss something that makes others happy. "Old" rockers are giving their fans a blissful experience and all this person can think about is that they don't look or act like they did 40 years ago. Well, freaking stay home then, and let the rest of us enjoy it.

Also, I can't stand all the inaccuracies and misrepresentations that get repeated so often. Here are two: "[Don Henley] doesn't smile once" and "They never talk to or acknowledge each other on stage, nor do they seem to take pleasure in each other’s musicianship or performance." These statements are patently untrue - people on this board saw quite the opposite at the same show this person attended.

Either the author has no problem exaggerating to make a point, or she didn't really pay that much attention and replaced what actually happened with lazy recycling of preconceived stereotypes.

Oh well. If she can't enjoy the concert because the performers are over a certain age, maybe she should check the birthdates of the band members before she forks over her money. Anybody born before 1990 can be crossed off her list. I'm sure there will be a boy band playing the arena sometime soon, and she can revel amongst the tween girls squeeing over their first crushes, not a wrinkled rocker in sight.

As for me, though, I'll be at the Eagles show.

I rather see those "older" artist then today's artists. I don't think I've been to any current artist shows. At least they give you your money's worth.

Demographically I guess we're not allowed any art or entertainment that isn't the current or hip because we're too senile to recognize anything other than old stuff. Never mind that without some of the old stuff, there wouldn't be any new stuff. Sad to see people really don't get the history and legacy in anything around them.

I know everyone is entitled to their opinion...but how does such a snarky sounding article even get published?...

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

The Daily Mail. Enough said.

Stuck on the Border

These parts:

My favourite Eagle was always Glenn Frey, the long-haired, moustachioed boulevardier who sang Lyin’ Eyes with a crack in his voice; as if he personally had been wounded by a city girl who found out early how to open doors with just a smile.

And Glenn? The former snake-hipped, loon-pant-wearing heart-throb of the counter culture now looks like a part-time taxi driver.

Has she even followed his career between 1975 & now? And then she has the nerve to refer to him as 'her Glenn'.

I agree with you, Soda, especially about the 'Henley didn't smile once' part. Although I haven't seen them since 2010, I know that isn't true.

However I should point out that the Daily Mail does not have a high reputation. It is full of right wing scaremongering & sensationalism. ETA: Thanks MC! Enough said indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    These parts:

My favourite Eagle was always Glenn Frey, the long-haired, moustachioed boulevardier who sang Lyin’ Eyes with a crack in his voice; as if he personally had been wounded by a city girl who found out early how to open doors with just a smile.

And Glenn? The former snake-hipped, loon-pant-wearing heart-throb of the counter culture now looks like a part-time taxi driver.

Has she even followed his career between 1975 & now? And then she has the nerve to refer to him as 'her Glenn'.

I agree with you, Soda, especially about the 'Henley didn't smile once' part. Although I haven't seen them since 2010, I know that isn't true.

However I should point out that the Daily Mail does not have a high reputation. It is full of right wing scaremongering & sensationalism. ETA: Thanks MC! Enough said indeed.
    The comment about the part-time taxi driver angered me the most! What does a part-time taxi driver look like anyway?

Border Desperado

ugh- I did not know whether to feel insulted by that story or feel sorry for the author's lack of perspective.

The so called article may have had more validity perhaps, if the Eagles, at their current ages, were trying to act and dress like they did back in the mid seventies- but they are obviously smart enough not to. it reminded me of something Don Henley said in the HOTE doc about their audiences "We look like them, we dress like them" that appears to be a theme for them right through today.

I don't think the author understands a couple of facts that the Eagles and some of these other so called "wrinkled rockers" do understand- - The Eagles themselves are part of the baby boomer generation of the United States, the largest segment of our population, and also the wealthiest segment overall. Its also the first generation to really share their music with their children and grandchildren in a really cool way- as several Borderers go to the Eagles shows with their parents and/or their kids, I also know a friend of mine has taken his twenty something son to a Rolling Stones show.
    My Parents would never have gone to a concert with me in the late seventies for example to see the Eagles, even though they were really only about 24 years older than I am. It was a generation gap/cultural thing at the time.

its not fair to say its all about "old people" reliving their youth. Being able to get a chance to see some of these rock legends at this point in my life, at least, is a big deal to me. I couldn't always afford to see a concert
    years ago when I was starting out, or it was not as easy to travel to see a band in another city as it is now. I am glad the "wrinkled rockers" are still around, because realistically, who in todays music scene,can fill those shoes for us?

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

It was a hideous article written by a woman who is looking to sell a newspaper by attacking and sensationalizing, rather than true journalism. I'm not sure the poorly written piece of garbage is worth the attention we're giving it.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

Well she is part of the demography (aged 55), which I'd guessed from her reference to 70s Glenn Frey. However, her job is to write what Daily Mail readers want to read. This time it's making people feel they were right not to pay a lot of money to see the bands of their youth. A few weeks ago, it was berating One Direction for breaking the contract with young fans by being filmed smoking pot and saying things they shouldn't have. So Glenn is bad for no longer being young and wild and 1D are bad for wanting to become young and wild.

I agree with her point about paying large sums of money just to see a dot or watch a screen - I wouldn't pay £400 for that.