The Border: An Eagles Message Board

Go Back   The Border: An Eagles Message Board > Off-Topic Discussion Areas > Singing for the Sake of the Song

Singing for the Sake of the Song Discuss anything related to other music acts, artists, bands, etc.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:06 AM   #1021
RudieCantFail
Border Rebel

Default Re: Fleetwood Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
Very nice review RCF - I really enjoyed reading it.

I listened to Tusk yesterday - off the top of my head it's the first time I've heard it in full for about four years or so. I should probably do a write up of what I think about each song on the album. Overall I was quite surprised by how little my views had changed since I last listened to it in this way (although I've played most of the individually quite a few times since then).

Out of curiosity, how do the other FM fans here rank the albums by the Rumours line up? My order is:

1. Rumours
2. Fleetwood Mac
--------------------------
3. Tusk
-------------------------
4. Tango In The Night
5. Mirage

The dashed lines indicate the boundaries in quality as I see them. Rumours is one of my absolute favourite albums of all time, and I also love the self-titled album. I don't like Tusk as much as those too, but I think it's quite a bit better than the two 1980s albums.
As much as I want to say that Tusk is my favorite, I can't. Because it's a double album, I find myself waiting for another song that I like on it if I'm doing a straight run-through and I can't skip a song.

1. Rumours
2. Tusk
3. White Album (FM)
--------------------------------
4. Mirage
5. Tango In The Night

Rumours is almost perfect or pretty much perfect, but I find Tusk more interesting. However, Rumours is more consistent regarding quality. On Tusk, Lindsey's songs can sound kind of annoying on a first listen. You have to get used to them, which can be a good or bad thing. Regarding ranking, it has to be a knock on the album.

The White Album (FM) has good songs, but I can't rank it above Tusk. But I haven't given it a good listen in a while. I will skip Landslide and Rhiannon because I hear them too much. I have 7 out of the 11 songs on my phone, but I like 9 to 11 out of the 20 songs on Tusk. I know percentage-wise, the White Album should be ranked higher, but I like the oddness of Tusk. I can see why though you have a bigger preference for the White Album over Tusk. If I wasn't a fan of The Clash, I probably wouldn't like Tusk as much as I do.

I definitely agree with you on the drop-off in quality between the 70's and 80's of the Rumours line-up.

I think Mirage is more consistent for me, but Tango has better singles. "Everywhere" is my favorite and "Caroline" is a guilty pleasure. The Stevie tracks other than "Seven Wonders" are just no. "Family Man" is interesting, but lyrically, no, just no with that chorus. "Mystified" is eh to me, but I do like "Isn't It Midnight" now. I didn't care for it before. It would be kind of neat, if the two Stevie tracks were replaced with "Where We Belong," "Special Kind of Love," and "Ooh My Love," but that would be three songs on one album where the word, 'love' is used for the song titles. The demos that I mentioned aren't the best replacements either, and they diminish Stevie's role to just two songs, which isn't a great solution. I don't know, I'm spitballing.

The tracks that I don't care for much on Mirage are "Only Over You," "Empire State," and "Wish You Were Here," but even then, they're not as bad as the last two Stevie tracks on Tango.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NMB, I hope you get to snag some tickets for Florida!
Old 08-12-2017, 09:30 AM   #1022
NightMistBlue
Stuck on the Border

Thank ya, Rudie. I don't know if they're doing meet and greet, but I'd love to get a pic with Christine. I'd try to be dignified and not blubber.
NightMistBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:22 AM   #1023
buffyfan145
Border Troubadour

CBS This Morning did an interview for with Mick this morning about the new Fleetwood Mac book "Love that Burns" which is the first in a series and that tells the history of the band with this one the early years. Looks really nice and they have a full interview with Mick that'll air on Monday's show.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:37 AM   #1024
New Kid In Town
Border Desperado

Buffy - I saw that too. It was a good interview and as you said, it looks like it is a good book. Did not know he almost joined a band with Rod Stewart.
50 years is a long time. I hope to see them next time they came to the NY/NJ area.
New Kid In Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:52 AM   #1025
RudieCantFail
Border Rebel

Think About Me Acoustic Link (I apologize for my talking, loud crowd chit chat, and poorly singing one chorus lyric):
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqWub1Bx8Ub7hgLFn17yGbMM3FXw

Red Rover Acoustic Link (I apologize if it sounds botched because of my talking and/or the crowd having loud chit chat): https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqWub1Bx8Ub7hgHeAmSWu18BQ77J

If you want the audio recording of the Las Vegas show, PM me. I edited the audio recording of LBCM and the Wallflowers, so it's not one combined file. If this is bad/illegal, please let me know and I will delete this part of the post.

Also, thanks Buffy, for the CBS This Morning heads up!

NMB, I would probably freak out happily if I ever met Lindsey, which is not good for anybody to deal with. I hope you get to meet Christine at one of the shows! M&G would be kind of hard for me to do, due to paying money to be nervous as heck to meet an awesome musician. I honestly don't know how you guys keep your composure. I freaked out happily pretty bad seeing Jimmy Paxson and Brett Tuggle at a restaurant without even being too close to them, but just being in the proximity of them.

Ok, cont'd:

"You Make Loving Fun" was ehh, since Christine's age kind of showed when she sang it. The chorus was a little rough, but it is pretty hard to sing 'I never did believe in miracles' at that high of a pitch. "I'm So Afraid" was wonderful as always. It was nice to see Lindsey go to the center right edge of the stage. People didn't go up to him or stand during his solo, except for a few. Those few were at the center front row and they were very enthusiastic with their dancing. I'm thinking that security was preventing people from getting too close to the stage.

"Go Your Own Way" was typical, and I liked it when Christine shook a bat at Lindsey during the 'packing up shacking up' lyric. She's been doing that for most of the tour based on videos online that I've seen. It's good to see that they're just having fun with it and it's not a Lindsey singing at Stevie song for this tour. Like, he walks and leans next to her a lot while he's just strumming away at his guitar

"Everywhere" sounded good, and I love that song. Lindsey was a little rough in the harmonizing during the chorus. During the Band Intros, Jimmy Paxson, the drummer with the hair, got the biggest applause out of the backing band. People were leaving during "Lay Down for Free" and "Game of Pretend." They started leaving when Lindsey said they were going to close out with a couple of new songs from the album.

I like "Lay Down for Free" and he got it close to the studio version. This could be seen as a good or a bad thing, depending on how much you don't really like his pre-recorded backing tracks and vocals. Like I said before, it doesn't bother me, but I would prefer if he didn't try to replicate the studio sound for the sake of live music.

"Game of Pretend" is an ok song to me on the album, so I did mess up the recording of it. I was asking an usher a question, so yeah, I know, bad on me. It's too bad that she needs to introduce it as not "Songbird," but maybe she's making an artistic statement by saying that. I heard someone say a disappointed 'aww' because it wasn't "Songbird." The song has grown on me though. There was some sort of hiccup at the beginning of it, I think. I saw the sound guy make a face or some gesture of frustration. There was one more sort of error that happened earlier, but I can't remember anymore. I'm glad that when she sings the verses, we can hear the imperfections of her voice. That's not a bad thing, but I'm saying that it's better than hearing an artificial studio sounding version live.

I think they left the stage fairly quickly after doing the final bows. The Vegas crowd didn't stand up too much, but it was nice to see a few enthusiastic fans at the front. More people did stand up after GYOW.

People were yelling out "The Chain" before "Red Sun," and they were also yelling out "Big Love" before "You Make Loving Fun." Someone did say 'we love you!' before YMLF though.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:28 PM   #1026
sodascouts
Administrator

Thanks again Rudie - I love reading your posts!

BTW, yesterday was the 50th anniversary of the first show Fleetwood Mac ever did with Peter Green in England!

Always in our hearts, always with us, never forgotten, never truly gone.
sodascouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 04:02 AM   #1027
Annoying Twit
Stuck on the Border

Thanks for the acoustic link. I wondered if Steve Juber had ever recorded the song, as he does covers with acoustic guitar, but it appears that he hasn't.
Annoying Twit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:29 AM   #1028
NightMistBlue
Stuck on the Border

I got 10th row, Christine-side, despite being a day late to the pre-sale due to travel snafus. It doesn't appear that they're doing meet 'n greet/VIP, but the tickets are plenty expensive regardless

About the acoustic guitar mystery: you make a valid point Rudie of course that it's reasonable to assume it's Lindsey. The only thing holding me back is that Lindsey has such a distinct tone/feel to his playing that one usually doesn't have to wonder, "Is that Lindsey Buckingham?"; you just know it's him. His acoustic playing has a very distinctive percussive sound and even his electric guitar (thinking of the chord flourishes on Bob Welch's "Sentimental Lady") is hard to miss.

Last edited by NightMistBlue; 08-16-2017 at 11:56 AM.
NightMistBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:46 AM   #1029
Annoying Twit
Stuck on the Border

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
I got 10th row, Christine-side, despite being a day late to the pre-sale due to travel snafus. It doesn't appear that they're doing meet 'n greet/VIP, but the tickets are plenty expensive regardless

About the acoustic guitar mystery: you make a valid point Rudie of course that it's reasonable to assume it's Lindsey. The only thing holding me back is that Lindsey has such a distinct tone/feel to his playing that one usually doesn't have to wonder, "Is that Lindsey Buckingham?"; you just know it's him. His acoustic playing has a very distinctive percussive sound and even his electric guitar (thinking of the chord flourishes on Bob Welch's "Sentimental Lady") is hard to miss.
I must admit: To me, the acoustic TAM doesn't sound like Lindsey at all.
Annoying Twit is offline   Reply With Quote