Page 98 of 129 FirstFirst ... 4888949596979899100101102108 ... LastLast

Thread: Remembering Glenn Frey

Default Re: Remembering Glenn Frey

I found the Friend Song on Youtube. Oh wow!!! I can see why Joe cried when he sang this song. The lyrics are soo powerful. The song comes in at 4:45.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyoyE-zTlUg[/ame]

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    I found the Friend Song on Youtube. Oh wow!!! I can see why Joe cried when he sang this song. The lyrics are soo powerful. The song comes in at 4:45.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyoyE-zTlUg
    For me, the last four lines especially got to me - they're so simple, but they're sung with such emotion, and applying them to Glenn... I teared up just listening to them.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

That just made me tear up too. It's very relatable for me too having had a close friend pass away unexpectedly a few years ago.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

I don't think there's any question that Joe and Glenn were real friends. I mean, you don't just take off and pick someone up and tote them off to rehab when you don't care anything about them.

When Joe has mentioned Glenn in concert, well, you can't fake that kind of pain. I think they complemented each other in many ways. Glenn brought some discipline and structure, while Joe brought that zany sense of humor and spontaneity. Glenn helped Joe keep it on track, and Joe helped Glenn loosen up. I also think he helped Glenn see the value in letting go of some things.

Joe holds no grudges, isn't mad at anybody, and is genuinely grateful for his career and the life he has now. God bless him! I'd love to give him a big hug.

I may be wrong, I'll freely admit. I thought I remembered Glenn telling the story in HOTE that he and Don drove Joe to rehab. But my memory may be faulty. It could certainly happen. If I am, I'm happy for someone to correct me.

I just watched the documentary last nite. i never get tired of the story and the music and have lost count of how many times I've watched it. It was Don Felder and Irving who took Joe to rehab.

I stand corrected. Thanks Dawn!

No worries Pippin I just happened to be watching the documentary where it was discussed.

Also, I agree I think Glenn was genuinely fond of Joe. In the documentary there is a scene after rehab where Joe is singing Pretty Maids and Glenn looks over at him with visible emotion. Very sweet.

Dawn
    Last edited by Dawn; 08-05-2017 at 10:54 AM.

Stuck on the Border

I think with Joe there was a deep friendship between them. I remember seeing a picture posted in the Eagles photo thread where Joe and Glenn had been on some morning show in I believe GB. The photo shows them kinda holding hands as they sat next to each other.

I think Glenn's friendship with Joe was uncomplicated and did not have the peaks and valleys that his friendship with Don did due to their working relationship. Joe knew it was Don and Glenn's band(as he has said so often) and was just happy to be in the band and play their music. You could tell their was a lot of love and respect between them. I think it was no accident that Joe entered his worst stages of addiction and abuse after the Eagles broke up. As he said, Glenn, Don and Irving saved his life when they agreed to get back together and insisted Joe enter rehab as a condition of him rejoining the band.

I love the last four lines in the song and could see how it would make Joe cry and how difficult it must have been to sing it.
    Last edited by New Kid In Town; 08-05-2017 at 09:54 AM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    I think with Joe there was a deep friendship between them. I remember seeing a picture posted in the Eagles photo thread where Joe and Glenn had been on some morning show in I believe GB. The photo shows them kinda holding hands as they sat next to each other.
    I think soda has the clip online. On of the presenters had given an intro that described Joe's battle against substance abuse and as the camera cut to them, you can see Glenn squeeze Joe's hand in a reassuring way.

One of the letters to Lefsetz was from a friend of Glenn's who said that Glenn told him the HFO tour would be drug and alcohol free in respect to Joe. That seems very considerate and practical.