Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: KISS

Stuck on the Border Grey Sadler's Avatar

Default KISS

OK...I'm gonna step out and admit it...my other favorite band is those crazy makeup-wearing guys from New York!!
    Sometimes I find it strange that my two favorite bands are so diametrically opposed in so many ways (soothing country rock vs. fire-breathing antics?!)...
    and then I remember this: http://youtu.be/GUFuJQATLZA

Default Re: KISS

well GS I'm finally glad you've come clean!!...lol...I like all kinds of music...

Stuck on the Border

KISS has always been and will always remain my favourite band. I mean the whole package; the music, personalities, the magic...There are many bands I prefer musically today, but there's no denying that KISS has released tons of incredible rock music. The first few albums were amazing arrangement-wise. Paul and Ace had their own rhythm parts that complemented each other. Gene did his extremely melodic basslines. Peter had a lot of imagination in his drum patterns, and he was also a beast live.
    You can really hear in Hard Luck Woman (the song you posted a link to) how Gene will play some "real sensual" bass for you when you give him a nice song to get off on.

Check this out. A 1975 live performance of Parasite with Peter's drums mixed above everything else:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCNcTXlVWf4[/ame]

The original KISS was like the original Eagles - four totally different personalities that somehow created magic together. In the original KISS one guy was from Israel (Hungarian parents), whose mother's family was executed in a concentration camp, one guy was half German/half an Indian, one was half Italian/half Irish, one was half German, whose mother had to escape from Germany because of the Nazis. And none of them had nothing in common, except Peter and Gene both loved comics.

I also like KISS... Especially the original members.

My favorite song is probably "Strutter", from the first album. Also the big hit, "Rock N' Roll All Night" too. "Lick It Up" from the 80s unpainted era is a good song to play - it's very easy and probably the only song I like from that time. I played it at my event a few months ago when someone sang it and it was a good one. But generally I prefer the earlier KISS stuff.

I saw them a couple years ago... I can't say much on it though because there was somebody in the crowd being overly obnoxious and pushing me and it was not letting me focus on the concert so I can't really say how the current band is. It wasn't until this person knocked down 2 people that he got booted, right before the encore. I'm not sure if I'd go again, but you never know.

I'm not a huge Gene Simmons fan, but I do like Paul Stanley. Gene is just too arrogant for my tastes.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

OK...stupid question...can someone direct me to how to post videos??

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Sadler View Post
    OK...stupid question...can someone direct me to how to post videos??
    If they are from YouTube, just copy and paste the link. But not the shortened one. The youtube.com/watch........ is what you want to post.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Thanks, Austin!
    Let's try this...in honor of Eric Carr (who left us 21 years ago today)...
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gNK-ic2OkE[/ame]

Good job GS!

Kiss is one band that I could never get into. I could never get past the ridiculous outfits & the persona of the band. Some of the songs are OK, but once when I worked downtown in the 90's they were making an appearance at a record shop (yeah, remember them?) I saw them outside in the street. People were stopping them for autographs, but I couldn't help thinking how ridiculous they looked, & that they were just some band totally in it for the money & promoting themselves on any piece of plastic junk they could. They made millions off just the junky stuff they sold with their likeness. To me this band was not about the music at all & that they were a kids band..Are they deserving of all the accolades? To me, No they aren't!

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    Kiss is one band that I could never get into. I could never get past the ridiculous outfits & the persona of the band. Some of the songs are OK, but once when I worked downtown in the 90's they were making an appearance at a record shop (yeah, remember them?) I saw them outside in the street. People were stopping them for autographs, but I couldn't help thinking how ridiculous they looked, & that they were just some band totally in it for the money & promoting themselves on any piece of plastic junk they could. They made millions off just the junky stuff they sold with their likeness. To me this band was not about the music at all & that they were a kids band..Are they deserving of all the accolades? To me, No they aren't!
    I think you are wrong on All Accounts and are Judging them unfairly based on their unique costumes.

I believe KISS IS About the music!

Many Bands have had merchandise, Beatles for example, did that make them in it for the money? I am sick of All the KISS Bashing because of it.