Page 71 of 92 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Default Re: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I was going to let this go but then decided I should stand up for my right to comment on a Felder interview.
    UtW, in what way I have indicated you don't have the right to comment? Do not others have an equal right to comment on your comment? If one is going to make insinuations/allegations against an Eagle ("Felder's lying") vs. simply posing an opinion ("Felder's interviews are boring"), then one should be prepared for the possibility those allegations will be challenged.

If you believe that Don's comment about pop music is a deliberate inconsistency, then ok, fair enough. I don't agree but I do understand. I suppose Felder's book does make him a target; no other band member has put himself out there like that. I still contend that his comment about playing country with Bernie was harmless and sincere, not eyebrow-raising, not contradictory.

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Good point, well made UndertheWire.

I agree Delilah about the unsettling "presumptuous statements of what the Eagles are feeling and thinking" but Felder's comment "I loved Bernie and loved playing country music with him" is an eyebrow raiser.

I've just checked the credits to the On The Border and One Of These Nights albums and there is very little evidence of Felder and Leadon teaming up the way that Felder and Walsh did. The shared guitar duties tended to be Felder and Frey.

Imho the Leadon less versions of the Eagles were an unconvincing country band. Joe gets the lead on "future country classic" The Girl From Yesterday. There's nothing remotely country on Felder's solo albums. I rate Felder as a fine Pedal Steel player but Leadon plays the Pedal Steel on OTB and OOTN.

Would it be presumptuous of me to suggest that Felder is making a conscious effort to say positive things about his ex band mates? which, these days, is probably preferable to being totally honest or funny
    When I read the Felder's statement about Bernie, I imagined them performing on stage together like at the Don Kirshner concert in '74, or jamming backstage somewhere. I didn't think about them recording in the studio. What do Don's solo albums or steel pedal playing have to do with anything?

Don has praised his band mates several times in the far and recent past; I don't know why saying positive things now would be construed as a "conscious effort."

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    UtW, in what way I have indicated you don't have the right to comment? Do not others have an equal right to comment on your comment? If one is going to make insinuations/allegations against an Eagle ("Felder's lying") vs. simply posing an opinion ("Felder's interviews are boring"), then one should be prepared for the possibility those allegations will be challenged.
    Maybe I misunderstood you. Of course you can comment on my comments.

On this occasion, I said that some of it was misleading and I agree it may have been the journalist who introduced this by combining two different parts of the story.

I hestitate to use the word "lying" when talking about Don Felder because I don't think it's as deliberate as that although I do believe he is often inaccurate and for a pedant like me, that's not good. I was also surprised that his story about joining the band should lead on to one about Bernie leaving given that there was nearly two years between the two events. Possibly he was trying to ensure that no one thought he was the reason that Bernie left. Or maybe the journalist is to blame.

From his book, I understand that he played country music with Bernie when they were teenagers and I have no doubt they enjoyed playing together.

Stuck on the Border

Basically I was wondering whether Don was referring to his early days with Bernie or his time with the Eagles - since I have always thought that he wasn't big on the country stuff. I have no idea why that is such a "big deal". But we can leave it. It doesn't interest me enough to go to war about it.

Stuck on the Border

The second season of AXS TV reality series Rock & Roll Road Trip with Sammy Hagar will continue next month with six brand-new episodes, the first of which premieres Sunday, July 9, at 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT. The July 9 show will feature the former Van Halen frontman taking a trip to Las Vegas, where he visits with Styx and ex-Eagles guitarist Don Felder during the two acts’ joint residency earlier this year at the Venetian Theater. The program also captures Hagar joining Styx and Felder onstage to jam on the Eagles classic “Hotel California,” and hanging out with comedian Carrot Top.
    http://www.classichitsandoldies.com/v2/82156/

Thanks for the heads-up, UTW. I was wondering when this show would be aired.

Ok, I just watched the Felder segment.

There was a "this or that" question and answer thing.

One of the questions was Don Henley or Glenn Frey. Felder responded "Well in honor of Glenn's passing I'll go with Frey". I thought it was nice but maybe a bit insincere.

Stuck on the Border

This is supposedly a new interview, but apart from a brief mention of this summer's tour, I think it's the same interview he's given for the last fiver years. If anyone spots somthing new, please say.
    http://ultimateclassicrock.com/don-f...nterview-2017/

He also talks about the new album - or it could be about the last one.

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Ok, I just watched the Felder segment.

There was a "this or that" question and answer thing.

One of the questions was Don Henley or Glenn Frey. Felder responded "Well in honor of Glenn's passing I'll go with Frey". I thought it was nice but maybe a bit insincere.
    I watched it too and found Don to be funny and charming. I missed the "This or That" part though. If he had said "Don" that would have been awkward, I think. It probably would have been better to ask "Bernie or Joe" .

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    This is supposedly a new interview, but apart from a brief mention of this summer's tour, I think it's the same interview he's given for the last fiver years. If anyone spots somthing new, please say.
    http://ultimateclassicrock.com/don-f...nterview-2017/

He also talks about the new album - or it could be about the last one.
    Everything seems recycled to me except for the last 2 paragraphs. It sounds like he's talking about a brand new album.

Banned

I think this is a newie, by Darren Paltrowitz for Inquisitr, dated 4th July; http://www.inquisitr.com/4346233/don...d-his-hobbies/.
    Don seems to consciously avoid direct references to 'the gods' in his Heaven And Hell answers. He also talks about archived, unreleased Eagles music!
    We rehearsed at my guesthouse and we’d always roll tape
    and a WWF Razor Ramon theme, that is referred to as a Those Shoes copy

Don's also done an 20min audio interview with Steve black for Chop Shop Guitar Show; http://wrif.com/2017/07/06/don-felder-interview/
    I haven't listened to it yet

Stuck on the Border

Funk - Thanks for the link to the interview. I have to say this part made me laugh :
    Did the book help reconnect you with people? Or help forge new relationships?
    Don Felder: No, I think if anything there were a couple of guys that really didn’t like the fact that I was writing a book. I think they even tried to file a lawsuit against me to stop me from writing a book, but there’s a thing in America called Freedom of Speech. As long as you’re not slandering someone or defaming their character, then you know you can do it. So I think a couple of guys were upset that I was publishing a book, and they didn’t like some of the things that were in the book, but it was the truth. So what are they going to do?

Of course he neglects to say he was made to remove things from the book(Don H.'s statement "It was the law"). He also mentions about not wanting to slander or defame someone - lol !
    Glad he did not mention the same old same old about reaching out to "them" and getting no response. As you said, he seems to have calmed down his baiting remarks the last year or so.