Page 70 of 92 FirstFirst ... 206066676869707172737480 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Here, Don gives the reporter n introductory guitar lesson:
    http://www.reviewjournal.com/enterta...the-strip-styx

I can't find any reviews or a setlist from the shows.

Thank you for those links, UtW. I like his advice in the 2nd one about wearing a guitar: “Hold it low, like a gunslinger,” says Don Felder. “Look the part.”

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Here, Don gives the reporter n introductory guitar lesson:
    http://www.reviewjournal.com/enterta...the-strip-styx

I can't find any reviews or a setlist from the shows.
    That's pretty cool.

I'd love a lesson with Don. I'm far from a beginner (probably intermediate-advanced in the styles I like) but comparatively I'd be shaking in my space boots.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

There's a new interview with Don Felder. I don't think there's anything new in it and his description of being recuited to the Eagles is misleading because of compression of timescales. (His stories of first meeting the band and being asked to join have been merged)
    http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/l...-music/432641/

Stuck on the Border

"I loved Bernie and loved playing country music with him" sounds like he would have liked to continue the countryish approach. I don't remember him saying before that he was all for that. Or does he mean playing country with Bernie earlier, before he was in the band?

Stuck on the Border

"it became awkward because Frey and Don Henley were pushing the group to leave behind the country roots that Leadon loved and move toward a radio-friendly pop sound."

Again, this doesn't quite fit with anything I've read/heard before. The push was towards more of a "rock" sound, not a "radio-friendly pop" sound, and Randy wanted that, too. I don't think Felder has ever suggested that he, himself, wanted to play countryish music either - if anything gave the impression that his own tastes were more "rock" (eg he was more interested in hearing Yes than his friend's band). The above statement is a shift from everyone-but-Bernie to Frey-and-Henley, as well as from "rock" to "pop".

Stuck on the Border

From every book I read, including Don F's, he never indicated he loved playing country. All he has ever said is how he was brought in to toughen up the sound and make it more R & R. That's all he has said in prior interviews that I have read and heard on YT. If I remember right, he even states in his book that it was the correct move for the band.

I read the article a couple of times and I don't see what the big deal is. It may have been the reporter who "merged" the stories if the original statement was too long or detailed. And what difference does it make? The point is Glenn was impressed with his playing and later Don recorded some slide guitar with them for "Good Day in Hell."

"I loved Bernie and I loved playing country music with him" sounds just like that--no more, no less. I don't think it implies at all that he wanted to go in a country direction. Justin Timberlake performed a country song with Chris Stapleton, and probably enjoyed it. That does not mean Justin wants to go country. Just one of many, many examples of musicians enjoying performing outside their genre with people they admire.

Tha man is 70 years old and has probably recounted dozens of times the same events that he's experienced over the years. Heaven forbid he should use another term-"pop" - instead of sticking to the same exact script from decades ago. I have no doubt it was awkward for him back then.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    From every book I read, including Don F's, he never indicated he loved playing country. All he has ever said is how he was brought in to toughen up the sound and make it more R & R. That's all he has said in prior interviews that I have read and heard on YT. If I remember right, he even states in his book that it was the correct move for the band.
    He said he loved playing country music with Bernie--where does it say he loved playing country, period? And to suggest that he's not allowed to say he loves playing country music b/c he hasn't been quoted as saying it in the past is absurd.

For some reason, it seems Don's statements get scrutinized for every possible minor deviation from past statements, while other band members get a pass. Even worse when some people assume that books and interviews contain the entirety of his life's experiences and personal views, and therefore, any new information must be wrong, even when it comes from his own mouth. These presumptuous statements of what the Eagles are feeling and thinking seems to be happening quite a bit lately.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

I was going to let this go but then decided I should stand up for my right to comment on a Felder interview.

Interviews by the other band members are subjected to scrutiny. They are not given a pass. The difference is they tend to be consistent. Now justbecause they are consistent doesn't mean they are telling the truth, but we can't tell. However, when Felder changes his story, we know that both his versions cannot be true. There are also often elements of Felder's stories that are not consistent with facts that can be easily verified. I don't see this so much with the others.

Why does it matter? If you just want to listen to the music, it doesn't, but if you want to talk about the story of the band, it is significant. Felder wrote a book about his time in the band and a lot of what outsiders think they know comes from Felder. For me, the numerous small innaccuracies in his interviews undermine his credibility. That doesn't mean I disbelieve everything he says, but I approach it with a sceptical eye.

Banned

Good point, well made UndertheWire.

I agree Delilah about the unsettling "presumptuous statements of what the Eagles are feeling and thinking" but Felder's comment "I loved Bernie and loved playing country music with him" is an eyebrow raiser.

I've just checked the credits to the On The Border and One Of These Nights albums and there is very little evidence of Felder and Leadon teaming up the way that Felder and Walsh did. The shared guitar duties tended to be Felder and Frey.

Imho the Leadon less versions of the Eagles were an unconvincing country band. Joe gets the lead on "future country classic" The Girl From Yesterday. There's nothing remotely country on Felder's solo albums. I rate Felder as a fine Pedal Steel player but Leadon plays the Pedal Steel on OTB and OOTN.

Would it be presumptuous of me to suggest that Felder is making a conscious effort to say positive things about his ex band mates? which, these days, is probably preferable to being totally honest or funny