Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Journey

Default Re: Journey

Steve Perry from Journey and Brad Delp from Boston were both lead singers that were almost too good in the sense that once they left, replacing them was borderline impossible.

I can't remember where I read it or saw it, but I remember Daryl Hall talking about the making of "We Are the World." Apparently, he was next Steve Perry and he came away thinking: wow, that guy can sing!

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Steve Perry sang Open Arms on stage last night!!

http://entertainthis.usatoday.com/20...e-in-19-years/

Sounds like he still has the voice, just needs some rehearsal/practice!

Thank you so much for the Steve Perry link, MaryC.
    So good to see Steve on stage again.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I agree - that's something I didn't expect for sure. It would be great to hear more from him in the future.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Pretty cool.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

thanks mary c
    I had heard about it but had not had a chance to watch the clip till today.
    BOY HES BEEN THROUGH A LOT

Such an iconic voice! A big part of the soundtrack of my teenage years
    He sounded great- maybe a Journey reunion and tour?

Stuck on the Border

Hi everybody ! The threads have been kind of quite. Anyway, while I was waiting in my dentist's office last week I was looking through YT videos and came across a video where Steve Perry was interviewed by Dan Rather in 2019. I think it was for a Pod Cast but not sure. It was really interesting. He discussed his then new cd "traces''(had never hear of it- lol). I had always liked Journey but was never a hard core fan. Boy I have to say I forgot what a beautiful voice he had and how cute he was. His interview with Dan Rather was in a sense so sad. He said he left Journey in 1987 because he was so burned out, was tired of fame, and could not do it anymore. He said after his Mom died in Dec. 1985, he never had time to grieve, they were always touring. He also talked about the hip injury that resulted in him leaving Journey again in 1998. Turns out he had to have double hip replacement surgery. He stated that Journey was one of the hardest touring bands. He said they toured 10 months, 5 days per week, for 10 years(1977-1987). He said he was exhausted physically and emotionally and asked Herbie(their manager) to cut back and he refused. Said he left for his health and sanity.
    He also discussed his girlfriend, who he said was his soul mate, who died of breast cancer in 2012. He talked about isolating himself after he left Journey both times. Truthfully it sounded like he had suffered from depression for years and admitted going to therapy. He also stated he was "violated"(not family members) between the ages of 6-10. Dan R. tried to pull more info out of him about it but he politely refused to discuss it. He did say he has a daughter and two grandkids, which I did not know.
    I just thought he sounded very sad and it was heat breaking listening to him discuss the loss of his mother and girlfriend. I also got the impression their manager ran them ragged to make every cent he could get. I was shocked to learn Irvin Azoff was their manager when they re-united in 1995. Boy, Irvin had his hands in everything.

Anyhow, I thought the whole interview was very interesting and showed a whole different side of the rock star life.

Hi NKIT! A friend of mine's son just saw Journey, and said that they were awesome. I'm guessing the Dan Rather interview was from a program of his on AXS TV where he interviewed music artists one on one. It was usually very insightful. Sadly, we stopped getting that network years ago.
    I knew Steve had some issues that caused him to quit, but those were terrible! You'd think at their pinnacle would be when stars have it the easiest. But all of the stress, lack of rest/sleep and constant demands to deliver have driven folks to divorce, drugs & alcohol, and suicide. Of course, that was what mainly drove Eagles apart. If they had not been so pressured, things probably would have been very different. I know Glenn said his parents were happy when he quit, because they could see the toll it was taking on his health.
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Stuck on the Border

Hi FF - how are you doing ? I don't get the AXS channel. Yes, I agree about the touring. I remember Don and Glenn both saying they should have taken a year off after HC but the record company would not let them. I think Glenn leaving the band was the best thing for him and an act of self -preservation. He/they were doing too much drugs and drinking.

I had read that Steve said before he left the band in 1987 he had asked Herbie H. to lessen the tour schedule and give them a breaking from touring and he refused. Steve said they toured non stop - 10 months per year, five days per week, for 10 years. He stated the other two days were travel days so they never really got to rest. The other two months they worked on putting out their albums. He said right after he joined Journey the first tour he went on they left Feb. 1st and he did not get home until Dec. 20th. That is a crazy, insane schedule ! No wonder he burned out and I'm sure that had to be rough on his voice too. I think for Steve it was also for his self-preservation. I admire him for being able to walk away like that.