Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "The Long Run"!

Default Re: Celebration of "The Long Run"!

This is tough, The Long Run is very hit or miss for me. Here's my list:

1. Heartache Tonight
    2. The Long Run
    3. The Sad Café
    4. I Can't Tell You Why
    5.In the City
    6. Those Shoes
    7. King of Hollywood
    8. The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks
    9. The Disco Strangler
    10. Teenage Jail

Border Rebel

I really like everything on this album, even the unpopular songs. It's not my favorite album by any means, but I still listen to it regularly.
    My list would look like this:

1)Heartache Tonight
    2)Sad Cafe
    3)King Of Hollywood
    4)I Can't Tell You Why
    5)The Long Run
    6)In The City
    7)Those Shoes
    Teenage Jail
    9)The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks
    10)Disco Strangler

Border Troubadour

1. Sad Cafe
    2. Heartache Tonight
    3. I Can't Tell You Why
    4. King of Hollywood
    5. Those Shoes
    6. Greeks Don't Want No Freaks
    7. The Long Run
    8. In the City
    9. Teenage Jail
    10. Disco Strangler

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Just a reminder that if you want to post your list of favorites for The Long Run, you have until Tuesday evening. I'll calculate the results then and see if the results change any.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

My list is as follows (based on studio versions):

1. Those Shoes
    2. Teenage Jail
    3. I Can't Tell You Why
    4. In the City (Joe Walsh cover)
    5. King of Hollywood
    6. Heartache Tonight
    7. The Sad Café
    8. The Long Run
    9. The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks
    10. The Disco Strangler

Based on live performances:

1. Those Shoes
    2. King of Hollywood
    3. The Long Run
    4. The Sad Café
    5. In the City (Joe Walsh cover)
    6. I Can't Tell You Why
    7. Heartache Tonight
    8. The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks (only because there is a recording lol)
    9. Teenage Jail (would be higher than The Long Run if there was a live recording)
    10. The Disco Strangler

Now I really like this album. Third favorite to Hotel California and Desperado. But rather than the popular songs, the other underrated ones are my favorite. I feel this is great if you're into the rock section of the band. While Teenage Jail is not their greatest composition, the guitars are so fantastic, imo. The Sad Café and King of Hollywood are great songs as well. Those Shoes is a fantastic rocker. The Disco Strangler, for me is such a letdown. I don't like anything in it. I'm glad they never performed it tbh.

When it comes to this album's tour, the guys were in fine form mostly. But while the actual guitar sound was very robust from Walsh and Felder, the setlists were very disappointing. I feel the huge number of TLR songs resulted in some great older songs like Witchy Woman, Funk #49, New Kid in Town, etc. being phased out. Now there are epic exceptions like 1979 Capital Center and 1979 Omni, but mostly boring with the setlists. They also did a decent amount of interesting covers, ranging from slower ones like Seven Bridges Road, Keep On Tryin', as well as rockers like Carol. I REALLY wish I could listen to a LR tour version of it. Vitale's piano must be really good there. They also rarely changed up setlists, a complete contrast to the Hotel California tour.

The backing musicians significantly increased from this tour. But I like them. Better than anyone today. The thing is, they employed extremely competent people to back them. Whereas today's backing is still good, but not the level of TLR personnel. Phil Kenzie and David Sanborn were at the top of their game. Vitale's versatility was incredible and his piano just elevated songs. And I really like how the actual band was not drowned out by the backing musicians. They still formed bulk of the sound. I personally feel Frey sounded his best here. The Long Run with sax was fantastic.

I however am disappointed with the lack of jams they had. One fundamental problem of The Long Run songs were that they were very same when done live. They tended to not have any significant differences. Many other older "jam" songs were phased out. Maybe that's why Witchy Woman, etc. were gone. To ensure perfection. Turn to Stone was underwhelming. Sure, Vitale was great on flute, but I missed Felder and Walsh playing. Reminds me of Steuart actually. All the other staples were done very well, though I don't know for Wasted Time or New Kid in Town.

When it comes to bootlegs, my recommends for this tour are 1979 Budokan (Sept. 17th, the first concert of the tour), 1979 Osaka (great performances and quality), 1979 Chicago (decent quality and an interesting addition of The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks. Also Jackson Browne comes for Take It Easy), 1979 Las Vegas (great quality), 1980 The Forum (the only high quality bootleg; a great soundboard though partial), and 1980 Santa Monica (July 29th; a lot of rarities, including a 5 song quasi-acoustic set, plus fantastic quality for an audience recording. Hotel California and Life's Been Good were taken from this concert for Eagles Live). One more interesting bootleg is Soul Pole V4, one which I cannot find a full version of. Soda also has an interesting, but extremely rare version of 1980 The Forum, which has the full setlist.
    The chemistry... nuff said

My list:

1. Heartache Tonight
    2. Those Shoes
    3. The Long Run
    4. The Sad Café
    5. I Can't Tell You Why
    6. In the City
    7. King of Hollywood
    8. Greeks Don't Want No Freaks
    9. Teenage Jail
    10. Disco Strangler

I love the top three but the bottom two are the worst songs the Eagles ever did and "Greeks" isn't far behind.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

cosec - I remember when I saw the Eagles in July 1980 at Giants Stadium they seemed to jam forever. In fact, I remember being pissed off and thinking "all right all ready - go to the next song" - lol. They did a lot of jamming that concert. That was only a couple of weeks before "Long Night At the Wrong Beach" and everything fell apart.

I will have to think about how I want to rate the songs on the album. This is not my favorite album.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    cosec - I remember when I saw the Eagles in July 1980 at Giants Stadium they seemed to jam forever. In fact, I remember being pissed off and thinking "all right all ready - go to the next song" - lol. They did a lot of jamming that concert. That was only a couple of weeks before "Long Night At the Wrong Beach" and everything fell apart.

I will have to think about how I want to rate the songs on the album. This is not my favorite album.
    No offense, but are you sure? Because the setlist of Giants is frankly boring. It is pretty much the same as Alpine Valley 1980. Heck, 1994 Giants Stadium's setlist is way better.

There were jams (only kinda). One notorious problem of this tour was that all the so called "jamming" songs sounded actually the same. They had systematic patterns of how it should progress. So idk if they are "long jams" as you said

There is no specific difference here unfortunately in the setlist. Can you tell which song in which they jammed for so long? I presume it is either: 1) Life's Been Good 2) Rocky Mountain Way 3) All Night Long.
    The chemistry... nuff said

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by cosec3791 View Post
    No offense, but are you sure? Because the setlist of Giants is frankly boring. It is pretty much the same as Alpine Valley 1980. Heck, 1994 Giants Stadium's setlist is way better.

There were jams (only kinda). One notorious problem of this tour was that all the so called "jamming" songs sounded actually the same. They had systematic patterns of how it should progress. So idk if they are "long jams" as you said

There is no specific difference here unfortunately in the setlist. Can you tell which song in which they jammed for so long? I presume it is either: 1) Life's Been Good 2) Rocky Mountain Way 3) All Night Long.

Of course I am sure ! No, I do not remember which songs - it was 38 years ago and I not not write down "Jammed on these songs". I know what jamming is and the difference between a short and long jam session in songs. Take my word - they jammed a lot that night
    Last edited by New Kid In Town; 09-29-2018 at 06:13 PM.

Thanks for doing this tallying for us, Dreamer. It'll be interesting to see the results.

I think we all know what the bottom will look like, though. You have to wonder... when they were recording it... did they really think those were good?

On the more positive side, there are several strong songs here and I wonder if, had they taken more time, they could have come up with more of that caliber.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten