0 0%
  • Dr. Jill Stein/Unknown VP canidate

0 0%
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: US Election 2016 Poll and Disscusion

Border Troubadour

Default Re: US Election 2016 Poll and Disscusion

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Even DD assumed we should like her because she was married to Bill.
    Fair enough I take your point but if she's so disliked why is she the Democrat forerunner? It can't all be conspiracy theories that she's bought people off etc. I just don't believe that...someone mentioned Monica Lewinsky, Whitewater and the Clinton Foundation but surely Bill is the culprit in these cases - why would they impact on Hillary now?

and I'm sorry to those who think that Trump will be their saviour. Trump looks after number one, and that's himself. He's great at platitudes and promises but what exactly are his policies? Telling people repeatedly that he's 'gonna make America great again' and build a wall to keep out the Mexicans is an insult to intelligence not to mention racist imo.

As I said I'm viewing this from afar so I'm only going by my own perception and I'm not trying to aggrieve anyone so please don't take issue with me.
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Border Rebel

[QUOTE=DivineDon;337890]Fair enough I take your point but if she's so disliked why is she the Democrat forerunner?

Hillary was the frontrunner because she really had no competition in the primaries. No one expected that Bernie would be anywhere near as successful as he turned out to be. When he started his campaign he was at 6% popularity (because most people had no idea who he was). Any other year where there was a full on competition in the Democratic party I think Hillary would've had a tougher time. Everyone expected her to beat Saunders easily and early on, but he sure gave her a tough time in the end. And much of that is because he's a straight shooter and a very likable guy. I don't agree with his politics at all, but of everyone running from both parties, he's way above all the others in terms of class and honestly.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DivineDon View Post
    and I'm sorry to those who think that Trump will be their saviour. Trump looks after number one, and that's himself.
    I'm afraid he's going to let many people down and betray their trust, which sucks. The ghostwriter of Trump's autobiography The Art of the Deal says Donald is basically a born liar with an extremely short attention span.
    http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...social_twitter

Quote Originally Posted by DivineDon View Post
    and I'm sorry to those who think that Trump will be their saviour. Trump looks after number one, and that's himself. He's great at platitudes and promises but what exactly are his policies? Telling people repeatedly that he's 'gonna make America great again' and build a wall to keep out the Mexicans is an insult to intelligence not to mention racist imo.
    I agree DD 100%. I also believe the negativity directed towards Hillary and Obama, for that matter, is a bit much.

Trump has already told potential VPs they'd be in charge of "domestic and foreign policy", which is something HE should be doing if he were President.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    I'm afraid he's going to let many people down and betray their trust, which sucks. The ghostwriter of Trump's autobiography The Art of the Deal says Donald is basically a born liar with an extremely short attention span.
    http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...social_twitter
    Actually, I recently saw this guy on some clips from Bill Maher's show. If you're interested, you can find it on YouTube.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Stuck on the Border Witchy Woman's Avatar

Jim Jefferies, one of my favorite comedians, on Donald Trump. One of the best political bits ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CceQISThDYQ

Warning - NSFW. If you are easily offended, do not click !!

Quote Originally Posted by Witchy Woman View Post
    Jim Jefferies, one of my favorite comedians, on Donald Trump. One of the best political bits ever.

LOL.

Well that was just awesome.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I'm curious about something. Am I the only one on here for whom this will be the first presidential election they're eligible to vote in?

I'm taking American Government in the upcoming semester. I imagine this election will provide a few topics of discussion in that class.

I watched some of Bill Clinton's speech last night. I know the focus of his speech was to make his wife look good and show the more personal, soft side of Hillary, but from the 8-10 minutes I heard, it felt like he was trying too hard to do that. I felt like he went overboard. To me, it sounded like he was talking to a friend or buddy and taking a stroll down memory lane. I admit that his speech was the first I've watched at all of either convention, so maybe my judgement isn't the best.

ETA: That comedic clip was great and spot on.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

His delivery and demeanor reminds me of Bill Burr (one of my favorite comedians), and I did like the "straight shooter" part. However, I think Jeffries needs another lesson in U.S. history. All 4 of my grandparents, as well as their siblings and cousins were interned in camps during WWII. In short, it was completely unconstitutional based on due process rights, since the Japanese, as well as their American kids weren't charged with a specific crime. The Supreme Court screwed up big time on that one w/ Korematsu v. United States. I'm not saying that the registration of Muslims and their American kids is an optimal solution, but it's not nearly as bad as internment. I think a better solution is just keeping a very close NSA watch on them because let's face it, we're all monitored by them at a certain extent. If we're already doing that, great. I don't care what the gov't does to maintain our safety, as long as they don't imprison them w/o due process. If they do that, then I will support them and strongly oppose it.

And you know what a majority of Japanese-Americans did during this time? They proved their loyalty by serving in the military, and they were the most decorated battalion/whatever term in U.S. military history. I do acknowledge that there were others who weren't supportive of military service, but what do you expect? I'm glad that a majority did, but you can't expect full support. Unfortunately, the Muslim Americans have to be the big man, just like how the Japanese Americans toughed it out. If people believe that Muslims are easily radicalized in this day and age, then there's a problem with how we push American values and patriotism. It also insults them as a people because that means that the implication is that they're too weak minded or willed to resist joining a violent political/"religious" group.

Sorry about the long post. I just wanted to show that there was some historical precedent for this. Also, don't feel sorry for my family, since the gov't did apologize and award reparations during Reagan's and H.W. Bush's years.

Anyways, AG95, you're not going to be the only one that could vote in their first presidential election this year. I turned 18 in February, so unfortunately, I have the privilege to vote for Donald Trump, Gary Johnson, or write in Clint Eastwood who was mayor of Carmel in 1986. CA is already lost to the Democrats, so I don't care too much.
    Last edited by RudieCantFail; 07-27-2016 at 02:33 AM.