Page 44 of 129 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494 ... LastLast

Thread: Remembering Glenn Frey

Default Re: Remembering Glenn Frey

Wayyyyy way way way before they were born. Heck about 2 decades before they were born. Glenn was soo funny.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I'm continuing to go back and make sure all the text of articles are posted in this thread. The link to this article about The One You Love was posted earlier, but here is the text ...

SomethingElse.com
    January 21, 2016
    By Kit O'Toole

Glenn Frey, “The One You Love” from No Fun Aloud (1982): One Track Mind

In reaction to the shocking death of Glenn Frey, co-founder of the Eagles, most tributes have focused solely on his band. It is easy to remember Frey for his contributions to one of the 1970s’ biggest groups, writing and singing hits such as “Peaceful Easy Feeling,” “Take It Easy,” and “New Kid in Town.” However, few articles and news reports have mentioned his highly successful ’80s-era solo career, starting with his 1982 debut No Fun Aloud and concluding with 1988’s Soul Searchin’.

He continued releasing solo projects in the 1990s, but none spawned the hits like the previous decade’s efforts. Newly split from the Eagles, Glenn Frey immediately created another persona on No Fun Aloud — a smooth, soul-tinged crooner singing romantic lyrics. The single “The One You Love” announced this new phase of Frey’s career, and the ballad still works courtesy of Frey’s earnest vocals as well as Ernie Watts and Jim Horn’s sensual tenor saxophones.

Cowritten with Jack Tempchin (composer of “Peaceful Easy Feeling”), “The One You Love” contains a classic “torn between two lovers” story, except Frey tells the tale from the perspective of a man competing for the woman’s attention. His gentle voice sounds wounded yet accepting of the situation, but he urges her to resolve the love triangle. “Are you gonna stay with the one who loves you – or are you goin’ back to the one you love?” he asks. The lyrics somewhat sympathize with the woman, with Frey’s voice rising in intensity as he sings “Your heart keeps sayin’ it’s just not fair.” Still, must choose between loyal Frey or “the guy who left you cryin’.” By the end of the track, the issue is not resolved. Who will she choose?

“The One You Love” works on two levels. First, Glenn Frey’s occasionally trembling voice conveys anguish and heartache; when he sings lines like “Someone’s gonna cry when they know they’ve lost you,” one can sense his turmoil. At the same time, he projects an overly romantic image, different from his years with the Eagles. Indeed, these lyrics are quite different from the younger Frey proclaiming “I’m runnin’ down the road, trying to loosen my load; I got seven women on my mind.” “The One You Love” features a more mature Frey and introduces a significant change in his songwriting and singing.

The second reason the single works involves that haunting melody. Watts performs the repeating theme, while Horn plays the sax solo during the fadeout. The instruments add longing and enhance the dread surrounding the woman’s dilemma as well as the narrator’s fear that she will choose the other man over him. When Glenn Frey performed the track in concert, the opening saxophone melody instantly evoked a reaction. The audience immediately recognized “The One You Love” before Frey uttered one word.

After its release, “The One You Love” peaked at No. 15 on the Billboard Hot 100 and rose to No. 2 on the Adult Contemporary charts. The song announced Glenn Frey as a solo artist, effectively distancing himself from his former band. His voice may be easily identified, but his new sound veered away from country rock and more toward R&B and pop.

He would continue this streak on uptempo tracks such as “The Heat Is On” (from the Beverly Hills Cop soundtrack), and “Sexy Girl” along with the moodier “You Belong to the City” (from the Miami Vice soundtrack). The lone exception in sound is “Smuggler’s Blues,” a rock-oriented track that now functions as a snapshot of the drug trade in the 1980s. The song’s tale would subsequently inspire a Miami Vice episode starring Frey His run of solo hits concluded with 1988’s Soul Searchin’, an R&B-influenced album that spawned two adult contemporary hits: the title track and “True Love.”

By the mid-1990s, Frey reunited with the Eagles on their hugely successful “Hell Freezes Over” tour. He recorded only a few more solo albums, the last being After Hours in 2012. While his solo career may not equal the Eagles in terms of sales and influence, Glenn Frey’s 1980s work deserves more attention for its catchiness and change in artistic direction.

“The One You Love” exemplifies Frey’s ability to forge his own path after leaving such an iconic band. Instead of repeating their country-rock sound, he reverted to his Detroit roots and created his own blend of rock, pop and soul. His impressive post-Eagles reinvention and creative rejuvenation should not be overlooked.

http://somethingelsereviews.com/2016...-one-you-love/

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Thanks Dreamer. I missed that one.

Stuck on the Border

“The One You Love” exemplifies Frey’s ability to forge his own path after leaving such an iconic band. Instead of repeating their country-rock sound, he reverted to his Detroit roots and created his own blend of rock, pop and soul. His impressive post-Eagles reinvention and creative rejuvenation should not be overlooked.
    This is such a good point. he could have carried on making Eagles-like music but he chose to try something different. For those of you who followed his solo career at the time, how big a shock was it?

When people talk about his 80s career, they often complain that it sounds so 80s but they're wrong. If anything, it's a throwback to the 60s.

Out on the Border TequilaSunrise82's Avatar

So this is officially my first post on this site. I admit, I have been coming here for some time but for one reason or another never considered participating. The past month however has been tough for me (as I'm sure it has been for all of Glenn's fans) and I finally decided to "join" the community.

I'll start by saying that I am a relatively new Eagles fan. Being in my mid-30s, I grew up with only a vague idea of who the Eagles even were. Being a child of the 80s however, I was always hearing Don Henley and Glenn's solo work without realizing who they were. It wasn't until a year or so ago that I was reading an article somewhere and saw that Lyin' Eyes (probably my favorite song of all time) was an Eagles song. So over to Youtube I went where I watched Glenn sing it...and that ladies and gentlemen, was it. I was hooked.

I've spent the last year learning as much as I could about the band and my favorite member, Glenn. It's part of my personality I guess, that when I find something I like I really like it and maybe get a tad bit obsessed. Well I was perfectly happy with my new "hobby" and absolutely loved finding new videos, songs, and photos (many on this site!). Then on January 18th I was in Atlanta for work and came back to my hotel room after dinner with colleagues. I felt a strong urge to watch an Eagles video and decided on their Tequila Sunrise performance from Voorburg 1973 because I love how happy Glenn is in that one...when I scrolled down to the comments I saw someone had posted something about Glenn being dead. My first reaction was that it was a cruel joke or someone simply didn't know who they were talking about. Sure enough another comment below said RIP Glenn Frey. With my heart pounding I googled his name and saw it for myself. I don't need to explain how it felt as I am sure all of you felt it too, but I was in tears and complete disbelief. I didn't sleep much that night and in the morning I was hoping it was all some kind of nightmare.

I don't know many people who are hardcore Eagles fans so I haven't spoken to anyone about how this all feels. I have never felt so heartbroken about the loss of someone whom I didn't even know. Sometimes I question if this is normal. Which leads me back to why I decided to join in these discussions. Reading all your posts here makes me feel like I am not alone. This is an amazing community and I am so grateful to have found you all.

Stuck on the Border

Welcom TS82. I think you sound perfectly normal, but I would, wouldn't I?

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Hi TS82. This is the only fan board I participate in, I had to learn how to use it and everything. These are my only "internet friends" and I can certify that it is a very supportive, kind, fun place to be. MC

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Welcome, TS82. I would say that what you're experiencing is normal because it's happening to all of us. You're among friends here.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    This is such a good point. he could have carried on making Eagles-like music but he chose to try something different. For those of you who followed his solo career at the time, how big a shock was it?

When people talk about his 80s career, they often complain that it sounds so 80s but they're wrong. If anything, it's a throwback to the 60s.
    It was a huge shock for me to suddenly hear brass & R&B, although the way he introduced The Long Run on Eagles Live should have given me a clue.

He never got the recognition he deserved for his solo work & now, to paraphrase Don McLean, perhaps he never will.

Stuck on the Border

Over the last few weeks, his solo career has been shown more respect than it has for a long time but still not the recognition it deserves. At this point, all that really matters is that we enjoy it.

I was listening to an 80s live show and was imagining being in the audience and hearing all this R&B instead of Eagles. Would I have liked it? My tastes were more towards "blue-eyed soul" at that time, so maybe.