Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Phil Collins / Genesis

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Default Re: Phil Collins / Genesis

I have my uncle to thank for my love of Genesis and Phil Collins. I must have been about 14, and he showed me the Invisible Touch video. It wasn't so much the song that I loved as it was the music video. Then he showed me Illegal Alien. I liked the song very much. Then came No Son of Mine.

I love No Son of Mine for very personal reasons, especially the first verse. I was that kid in the song, although it was my mom who was the problem. My parents fought constantly. I don't mean just verbally. I mean it could get physical. I'll never forget being 5, and my parents and my 13 y/o brother all started fighting. I remember ducking underneath the kitchen table to avoid being hit by a breakable bowl my dad had thrown. CPS was called because my mom got to rough with my brother, and my brother went to live with our grandmother.
    When my dad died, my mom and I started fighting and really haven't stopped doing so. I needed a place to hide and call home.

In the video, the father grabs his belt to punish his son. I tense automatically when I see that part of the video because it reminds me of my mom's discipline. A leather belt was her go to punishment for anything I'd done wrong. She would take out her frustration on me with the belt. She'd whipped me until she calmed down.

Ok, enough of that. Basically, I love the song because I can understand what the kid went through. It made me realize that others have gone through similar things and have gotten through them.

I love Jesus He Knows Me because I grew up going to a southern baptist church that slowly turned evangelical. (I eventually left the church)

It took a few years for me to discover the Gabriel era. I started out with Nursery Cryme and I fell in love with The Music Box, and I slowly went from there.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border

That's a terrible story, and I hope the fighting with your mother will finally stop one day. And it is great if the song helps people. For me it's not the subject matter in No Son Of Mine that bothers me. There are certain lines that sound clumsy to me. "Things were never easy for me" comes to mind. I guess I would prefer a more abstract description of the feeling than saying exact things like that. I can't quite explain what I mean. I'll give an example of a similar thing. I was listening to some concept albums by a rock band. One album was one story. I would have preferred to read the story and then hear the character describe his feelings in any given situation in the actual lyrics. But instead the lyrics were describing the story - what was happening. "Ooh, I'm travelling in a vessel. Ooh, I'm moving to something new now".
    Phil Collins is very straightforward in his lyric writing, of course. Sometimes I would like a bit more...vagueness, I guess.

Well, in a way, that particular lyric is a bit vague. It leaves "the things" open to interpretation, or at least I think so. Obviously, home life wasn't easy, but perhaps school wasn't as well?

I prefer more direct and straightforward lyrics.
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    A Trick Of The Tail was the first Genesis album I heard. I fell in love with it. For a while I didn't know that Peter Gabriel had been in Genesis. I must confess that when I was a teenager, I was an "old school" fan. I avoided their 80's stuff. The covers alone made me turn away.

Then, years later, at some point I actually started to listen to Genesis (the album) and Invisible Touch, and I noticed that they actually contain great songs! We Can't Dance contains some great stuff and some stuff I don't care for at all. Tell Me Why, for example, seems to me like another "let's be worried about the less fortunate people for a few minutes and then go eat a nice, juicy stake" song. I'm probably the only person on the planet who doesn't care for No Son Of Mine. The "concerned" Phil just does nothing for me. Even Driving The Last Spike. I think Phil chose a great subject there, but his way of writing and singing that kind of stuff is too naive IMO. I Can't Dance and Jesus He Knows Me are brilliant. Tony once said that when they were in the USA and saw a TV evangelist on TV for the first time, they thought it was a comedy. When Phil gets funny, not many can touch him. When he gets "concerned"...

I still find the Invisible Touch chorus intolerable. I still can't stand In Too Deep (sorry, Freypower). But I like most of that stuff a lot. And it's not like their early stuff didn't contain any filler material.
    Concerned Phil is my favourite Phil, especially on his solo albums. Give me Both Sides of the Story & Don't Get Me Started over stuff like Come With Me & Testify. I am not sure about Another Day In Paradise, however. So I love NSOM & DTLS is basically my favourite track from We Can't Dance. Why the apology re In Too Deep? Did I say I love it (see what I did there, Throwing It All Away)? I do like it, but probably not as much as some of the eariler tracks I am now discovering. Regarding Tell Me Why, I see what you mean. I prefer the magnficent Land Of Confusion & also Living Forever for this type of lyric.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    The quirky thing about I Can't Dance is that Tony played all the percussion stuff on his keyboard. ie. it's not adrum machine. It had a fabulous video and was quite something live too, with Phil on pretend harmonica and Michael Jackson dance steps

It's very interesting hearing you girls talking about the old "weird and quirky" Genesis material. All the band members will say that they didn't have any female fans until Follow You, Follow Me became a hit single in 1978. A large majority of their international audience was spotty adolescent boys, who I think have stuck with them through the decades, despite the general opinion being, that the 80s and beyond stuff isn't as good as the classic early (obscure) stuff.

I half like Robbery, Assault And Battery. My favourite tracks on Trick Of The Tail are Mad Man Moon, Ripples and the title track. I love Tony's mellotron during Entangled. Dance On A Volcano and Los Endos are brilliant live.

I think Tony's most popular Genesis tracks are Firth Of Fifth, Afterglow and One For The Vine..... pre Follow You, Follow Me, anyway.
    Do you know I think my husband, who saw them back in England in 1976, probably now resents that I have now become such a big fan. He is a huge prog rock fan. Hence although he saw them after Gabriel he prefers the Gabriel era. He hates Duke, which is Tony's favourite album. His favourite though is Trick Of The Tail. We both saw Gabriel on the Us tour.

FYFM did alert women to them. I shamelessly adore it. The big surprise in When In Rome was that Phil drummed on it when it was the last song I expected him to drum on, given the nature of it. But as I said in the previous post, it isn't really the IT & WCD love songs that got me. It just took me a long time to really listen to TTT & Domino. What I find very strange is that I've had the self titled a long time (my husband must have brought it with him from England) and it's only now I realise how great it is. It's my second favourite album after WCD. WCD will always be first with me.

I should apologise for these posts being so incoherent. It's nice to have people to discuss this with. I am on the verge of joining the message board; I have to try & think of a name. Whatever I choose it won't involve anything to do with 'power'.

This is interesting:

http://www.udiscovermusic.com/genesis-20-songs
    Last edited by Freypower; 09-16-2015 at 07:27 PM.

I must be in the small minority of females who are Genesis fans, but don't like FYFM. It's a good pop song, but it never caught my attention. Of their really poppy songs, That's All is probably my favorite.

I have a hard time ranking albums. I think that my favorites are the same as FP's but switched, self titled then We Can't Dance. Selling England, Invisible Touch, Nursery Cryme, Lamb, and Trick of the Tail would be next, but I can't do an order. Abacab is probably my leaat favorite album of theirs.
    Last edited by AlreadyGone95; 09-16-2015 at 07:53 PM. Reason: autocorrect error
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border

But I didn't rank the albums I have! I listed the ones I own in chronological order. I suppose I should rank them:

We Can't Dance
    Genesis
    Invisible Touch
    Abacab
    A Trick Of The Tail
    Duke

We also have Selling England on Super Audio CD & I have listened to some of it.

I was referring to your above post where you were talking about We Can't Dance and Genesis, so I decided to rank some of the albums.

I have every album on either cd or vinyl or both. I've listened to most of them in full, except Calling All Stations, Trepass, Then there were 3, and Wind and Wuthering.
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Concerned Phil is my favourite Phil, especially on his solo albums. Give me Both Sides of the Story & Don't Get Me Started over stuff like Come With Me & Testify. I am not sure about Another Day In Paradise, however. So I love NSOM & DTLS is basically my favourite track from We Can't Dance. Why the apology re In Too Deep? Did I say I love it (see what I did there, Throwing It All Away)? I do like it, but probably not as much as some of the eariler tracks I am now discovering. Regarding Tell Me Why, I see what you mean. I prefer the magnficent Land Of Confusion & also Living Forever for this type of lyric.
    Yeah, I remember you saying that you love In Too Deep in some other thread, where I said that I can't stand it. My memory may have failed me, of course.
    A nice reference to Throwing It All Away. That's another lyric - this time Mike's - that I don't care for at all. Some of it works, but some of it feels too lame.

Banned

I'm a huge fan of Phil Collins but I must admit some of his lyrics are pretty tepid. We have a laugh about some of his long-winded and misguided song titles too. Don't Call Me Ashley always raises a giggle.

I'm happy to take the iffy lyrics if it means getting albums done. Genesis get in the studio, jam around a bit and a couple of months later an album hits the shops. Very different to one of my other favourite, top selling, 70s and beyond, classic rock bands.