Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Mentions in the Press - Retro Edition!

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press - Retro Edition!

In 1994, a writer muses on the collective experience of attending an Eagles concert, with a few quotes from Jack Tempchin:
    http://articles.latimes.com/1994-06-...7_1_rock-music

Interesting article - thanks!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    "Life in the Fast Lane" - The Montreal Gazette (Dec. 8, 1979) [This is a reprint of the 1979 Rolling Stone interview, Part 1.]

"Group of the Decade Nearly Self-Destructed" - The Montreal Gazette (Dec. 10, 1979) [This is the other half of the reprint: Part 2.]
    I hadn't realised there were some pretty large cuts from the version that appeared in Rolling Stone. The magazine has now made the original available online as part of their tribute to the writer.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...eroes-19791129

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    In 1994, a writer muses on the collective experience of attending an Eagles concert, with a few quotes from Jack Tempchin:
    http://articles.latimes.com/1994-06-...7_1_rock-music
    Just got around to reading this and I have to agree about how special a live concert experience is. Thanks for the link, UTW.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I hadn't realised there were some pretty large cuts from the version that appeared in Rolling Stone. The magazine has now made the original available online as part of their tribute to the writer.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...eroes-19791129
    This was a good read - thanks for sharing

Stuck on the Border

I'd read the "rattlesnake" quote from Glenn's mother before but not the final part:
    He has the courage to carry through his beliefs. It may be ruthless, but in his business, you can't be a nice guy or you end up like Joe Louis."

For those, like me, who aren't that familiar with american sporting heroes, Joe Louis was a heavyweight boxing champion in the 30s and 40s who had financial difficulties partly because his handlers took most of his winnings.

It's a good comparison. The music business was notorious for the way it took advantage of young, naive musicians and the Eagles weren't immune. In the documentary, Irving Azoff says he got a call to organise some dates because they "wanted money for Christmas". Despite the album and singles sales and extensive touring, the band had very little money ("$7,000 in the bank" has been mentioned) and according to Eliot's book, even the "money for Christmas" tour didn't achieve his objective as the promotor paid the money to the management company who didn't pass it on to the band. That's why Azoff became so important to them - he was prepared to stand up for them and negotiate better deals.

True. You look at them now and it's hard to imagine they ever needed to fight to get their money, but certainly it's something they never forgot!

Stuck on the Border

Sorry, I seem to be going over old ground but here's something else I noticed.
    Extremely puritanical about the use of any mind-altering substances before a show on the road, the Eagles in the studio play their brains as they play their instruments: they use whatever they need to get the proper effect.

This seems to contradict Felder's descriptions of lines of coke on the amplifiers and bottles of cognac during concerts. Was it just Henley being puritanical, were they lying to the journalist, did it change over time or is Felder's memory at fault?

I thought this was really funny:
    When the set ends, Henley strides over to one of the spiky-haired Rebels. I can hear only bits of the conversation, but Henley appears to be implying rather strongly that punks are less than masculine, can't sing harmony, don't care we're all dying of radiation leakage, and their mothers do it with armadillos.

LOL!!!

Stuck on the Border

This is from 1975 and it has Glenn talking about the writing process, praising Don Felder effusively and jamming with Neil Young.
    http://justbackdated.blogspot.co.uk/...s-in-1975.html

I just posted a picture from ebay of a dutch magazine, and I think this could be the story that appears in that magazine. (You don't need to know dutch to recognise that the paragraphs on Felder's slide are saying the same thing)