Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Hell Freezes Over"!

Default Celebration of "Hell Freezes Over"!

Well, these album anniversaries are just coming one after the other, aren't they? I guess a lot of albums get released now in preparation for the Christmas season.

So... Hell Freezes Over is FIFTEEN this year! Old enough to get its driver's permit!

It's not so much the content of this album as what it symbolized - America's favorite band, finally coming back together again. We already talked about the TV special in another thread, but what about the album itself?

I've gotta go now, but I'll be back to write more later.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default Re: Happy Anniversary Hell Freezes Over!

This is the only one I don't have. But Happy Anniversary HFO anyway.
    Oh they tell me there is a place over younder cool water running through the burning sand until we learn to love one another we will never reach the promised land. Hole In The World 2001

Stuck on the Border

Of course I'm happy about the HFO album. All the songs are excellent.

HOWEVER.... I have major reservations abou the number of ballads and the distribution of lead vocals. I don't wish to harp on this, but as a reunion album I don't find it representative. I think it is tragic that the versions of Lover's Moon and Peaceful Easy Feeling, which were played, were not included.

The best track by far is Get Over It. Not only is this a Henley-Frey masterpiece but all three guitarists get to shine during it. I am also very fond of Learn To Be Still, which I consider extremely underrated, and The Girl From Yesterday, despite Felder's extremely mean-spirited comments about this song.

HFO was my first Eagles album at all, so it is something very special for me!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I remember when I got this at Best Buy, it was opened in my car and didn't leave it for months. I was still working out of the house at the time and had a 45 minute commute one way so it had a lot of play time. I also think this was probably the beginning of my daughters fandom. She was only 2 but I remember her singing Get Over It in the backseat on several trips. That would be the song that the 2 year old decided she had to love.

As far as the favorites on there, I have to say Get Over It (because it was something new) Pretty Maids, Girl From Yesterday, Learn To Be Still & New York Minute are probably the best. I think that would be because they are songs you don't get to hear that much.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Happy 15th Anniversary Hell Freezes Over!!!

Now, for my first post for HFO anniversary week. I'm one of those that kinda thinks of Hell Freezes Over as an 'event' rather than an album, DVD, or MTV special. Whenever I hear it mentioned, the first thing that comes to my mind is always happy thoughts of 'the resumption' - yeh!!! How lucky we are that the band is still together 15 years later rather than the 'temporary' resumption that was originally planned.

As far as the album itself, I like all four of the 'new' tracks. I also wish they had included The Best of My Love, Lover's Moon, and Peaceful Easy Feeling on the CD. That version of PEF really makes me SWOON - it is absolutely gorgeous!!!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Love the board style, Soda! I might leave it like this for a while longer...

Hell Freezes Over (the MTV show) was where it all started for me, so any kind of representation of this starts me sighing and swooning! I think the album is fantastic. I agree that Peaceful Easy Feeling and Lover's Moon should have made it on to the CD, and I can understand the desire for more Glenn, but this was the thing that turned me on to Don, turned me on to the Eagles, and I can't help but love every second of it.

The Girl From Yesterday is beautiful, as is Learn To Be Still (totally agree that it's underrated, Fp). Get Over It just brings a smile to my face. Such attitude! Previous posters are right - this whole album, and especially that song, has a real "We're Back." feel to it. And we love it!

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Happy 15th Anniversary Hell Freezes Over!!!

Now, for my first post for HFO anniversary week. I'm one of those that kinda thinks of Hell Freezes Over as an 'event' rather than an album, DVD, or MTV special. Whenever I hear it mentioned, the first thing that comes to my mind is always happy thoughts of 'the resumption' - yeh!!! How lucky we are that the band is still together 15 years later rather than the 'temporary' resumption that was originally planned.

As far as the album itself, I like all four of the 'new' tracks. I also wish they had included The Best of My Love, Lover's Moon, and Peaceful Easy Feeling on the CD. That version of PEF really makes me SWOON - it is absolutely gorgeous!!!
    All of these songs plus "One of These Nights" is included in the unreleased album "The Eagles-Second Night Unplugged" which includes banter, rehearsals and is A+ sound quality. It's hard to come by, but it is out there.

Happy Anniversary, Hell Freezes Over!

I remember the reunion tour, expecially. When the "Hell Freezes Over" album and television special were out, I couldn't believe that the Eagles were finally going to be back together again. I was happy to be able to go to see them in concert!

This is the tour when I realized how much I missed the Eagles music, and how HSG our boys were! I remember being on the field at Giants Stadium (pretty decent seats), and being in absolute awe of Glenn in particular--but the others as well! Prior to HFO, I think I was a bit too unaware of the individual musicians for whatever reason...my loss. And to hear that music sound so great...heaven!!
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...