Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: California Jam 1974

Default Re: California Jam 1974

Thanks, NMB. I was kind of hoping "Blackberry Blossom" might be tucked in there even though it's not listed on the back cover. I've watched some of the other bands on YT and their stuff doesn't seem to get yanked off like the Eagles' videos do. I'm still mulling it over; my wish list keeps getting longer.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I was looking at "This Day in Eagles History" and noticed that today was the day they played the "California Jam" concert in 1974, to a crowd of approximately 200,000 people. Can you imagine???

I looked at who else played that day on Wikipedia, and here's the list:

Isn't it amazing that out of all those bands, only the Eagles would probably be recognizable to a younger generation of listeners today?

And they weren't even the headliners!

And for fun, here are some videos from that day. Don't they look adorable? They were really rockin'!
    I’m bringing this forward for those who may not be familiar with this music festival. As can be seen here, this was not a stand alone Eagles concert so not all attendees were there specifically for the Eagles. With the exposure and buzz for playing for 200,000, I’m not convinced the Eagles would have cancelled the show if Glenn or Don H couldn’t make it (well, maybe Glenn) as was contended in another thread.

Scottside did well putting some context to it and I will add some too.

First of all, Don H doesn’t sing any leads in the short setlist. Even the video footage shows little of him. In 1974 he was not the prominent lead singer he was later on. So if he couldn’t appear for some reason and was replaced by someone else playing his drum parts, I don’t believe fans would be “outraged.” Esp. if it were announced he couldn’t be there b/c his wife is giving birth to their child (or some other major reason).

If Glenn doesn’t show that would be problematic b/c he sings lead on 3 songs and was the frontman. It’s possible they would have cancelled but it’s also possible they would have replaced him (with Jackson?) or his songs. Fans would be sad and disappointed but I doubt they would be outraged if he couldn’t be there b/c his wife was giving birth.

Randy sings lead and plays prominent bass on one song, plus sings critical harmonies on 2 others. I don’t agree his absence would be as insignificant as was stated in the other thread. He would probably be replaced if he couldn’t show but the setlist would probably not include Midnight Flyer. I do believe his female fans would have been disappointed by his absence.

1974 is not 1994 and the 70s era is not the reunion concert era. One show during a festival is not the same as a whole tour. It’s apples to oranges really.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    I’m bringing this forward for those who may not be familiar with this music festival. As can be seen here, this was not a stand alone Eagles concert so not all attendees were there specifically for the Eagles. With the exposure and buzz for playing for 200,000, I’m not convinced the Eagles would have cancelled the show if Glenn or Don H couldn’t make it (well, maybe Glenn) as was contended in another thread.

Scottside did well putting some context to it and I will add some too.

First of all, Don H doesn’t sing any leads in the short setlist. Even the video footage shows little of him. In 1974 he was not the prominent lead singer he was later on. So if he couldn’t appear for some reason and was replaced by someone else playing his drum parts, I don’t believe fans would be “outraged.” Esp. if it were announced he couldn’t be there b/c his wife is giving birth to their child (or some other major reason).

If Glenn doesn’t show that would be problematic b/c he sings lead on 3 songs and was the frontman. It’s possible they would have cancelled but it’s also possible they would have replaced him (with Jackson?) or his songs. Fans would be sad and disappointed but I doubt they would be outraged if he couldn’t be there b/c his wife was giving birth.

Randy sings lead and plays prominent bass on one song, plus sings critical harmonies on 2 others. I don’t agree his absence would be as insignificant as was stated in the other thread. He would probably be replaced if he couldn’t show but the setlist would probably not include Midnight Flyer. I do believe his female fans would have been disappointed by his absence.

1974 is not 1994 and the 70s era is not the reunion concert era. One show during a festival is not the same as a whole tour. It’s apples to oranges really.
    I wasn't alive in 1974 so I can't speak to what fans would have thought, but would have people have accepted an "Eagles" fronted by Jackson, without Glenn, when Glenn sang 3 out of the 4 songs played? Since it was so early in their careers and they were still up and coming, it's possible, I suppose, that fans wouldn't have known the difference.

In watching early footage, it's remarkable how much of a minor role Don played in the band back then. He barely sung any leads and didn't speak at all! Things sure changed.

All of this aside, the footage of this concert is great. They were so young and still seemed a little nervous. These are my favorite performances of Already Gone, James Dean, and Midnight Flyer.

Stuck on the Border

Hi Groupie - I was a 70's kid. They were my HS and college years. I can tell you in April 1974, the Eagles were not that big a band, and replacing one member may not have caused them to cancel. Glenn was the lead singer at that time but there was still Randy, Bernie and even Don who could have stepped forward. They could have just song a shorter set list with all those other bands playing. I think On the Border had just been released. After the release of OOTN it would have been more problematic.

Delilah - Good points and I agree with you.

I love the Calif. Jam footage too. I love Rady's version of MF. They rocked all the songs. They all look so young and excited to be there. Love Glenn's comment about the blimp - "Just like Wide World of Sports" - lol, too cute.
    Last edited by New Kid In Town; 05-08-2018 at 05:50 PM.

Stuck on the Border

I fail to see why any of the four core members (as the band then was) would have been replaced if they hadn't shown. Felder was new. Nobody knew who he was so it was OK to replace him. Not the others.

I think people should look at where the Eagles were billed. They were third from bottom. They were not going to play a long set.

I would hope that some younger people would still remember Deep Purple & ELP, in Britain, at least. I would hope that younger Americans might remember Earth, Wind & Fire.
    Last edited by Freypower; 05-08-2018 at 07:39 PM.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I would hope that some younger people would still remember Deep Purple & ELP, in Britain, at least.
    Once you see Keith's spinning piano and Ritchie's, erm, tantrum you never forget them!

One of the other acts that day was a superb Southern band who sadly fell of the face of the earth by and large - Black Oak Arkansas. They did a superb little set.

Stuck on the Border

I'm not sure that younger people in the UK would know ELP. With the arrival of punk, progressive rock became deeply unfashionable. Deep Purple may have benefited from the popularity of the newer hard rock bands and, of course, Black Sabbath have the continuing soap opera of Ozzie.

Anyway, back to 1974 when ELP and Deep Purple were HUGE and Eagles was not.

So it's April 6th 1974, just 15 days after the release of On the Border. Even Eagles fans may not have had the chance to hear and see the album and the majority of the audience were probably not specifically Eagles fans. Therefore the absence of the "late arrival" who only played on one song that was included in the set would be unlikely to be missed by many. They could also manage without Felder because they had played these songs as a foursome.

There may have been friction within the band, but outwardly it was the original line-up of a group where vocal duties were shared. No one was more important than any other and I believe they'd have been as likely to cancel if Randy or Bernie was ill as if it was Don or Glenn. If anything, I would expect that the core members would be under a lot of pressure to perform at such a high profile show no matter how ill they might be.

As for performing with a substitute, with no time to rehearse, I just don't see it. Unless it was a friend who'd hung around during rehearsals and maybe joined in jam sessions.

In the 70s, did Eagles ever play without one of the core members? Did they cancel because of illness or just carry on?

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

UTW - I tend to agree with you about this. In the early days of the band, I don't believe the band would have performed without any of the key members. Even later after Glenn and Don became the focus of the band, I can't ever recall the band performing without all of the members on stage. They rarely canceled a show and if they did, it was only when one of the members was absolutely unable to perform. Even with the HFO resumption, when Glenn and Don had much more bargaining power, they were determined to go with the lineup intact that they ended with in 1980. And even in late 2012 when Timothy had surgery for throat and neck cancer, I think a few shows were canceled, but he also performed some while recovering. They never performed with a substitute after California Jam to the best of my knowledge.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

If you think about it, it doesn't seem like any major acts have ever played with substitutes. I think of U2, the Stones - have any of them ever played a show without one of the core members or with someone filling in? They must have done, but I just can't recall...

In addition to any shows cancelled in 2012, I seem to remember that shows were cancelled during the HFO tour because of Timothy illness/injury? Could be mistaken, I'll have to check...

I believe some HFO shows were cancelled in 1994 because Glenn had surgery.

I don't really consider Jackson a substitute for Felder at California Jam. I like Jackson's music a lot, but I don't think he could fill in for Felder on guitar. As some have said, since they had already played those songs as a foursome, they did that at California Jam, and Jackson played with them as he often did in those days.

I had read of bands in the 60s (The Beatles, The Dave Clark Five) having a substitute fill in if one member was unable to go on. I remember reading something about Ringo being ill and them bringing in a session drummer, but I could be wrong about that.