Page 40 of 48 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles books

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Eagles books

Yes, that was an after-party at Le Bistro; neither attended the 1978 ceremony.

Thank you, New Kid - maybe Toni saw Joe and (mis)remembered it as the whole group attending.

EDIT: but wait! Wouldn't Joe have been touring with his fellow Eagles in 1976? He was a new member of just a few months.
    Last edited by NightMistBlue; 04-26-2017 at 03:48 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Oops, your right. Sorry did not think of that when I posted it. Unless it was '75?
    Last edited by New Kid In Town; 04-26-2017 at 10:09 PM.

No, she said it was the 1976 ceremony, held early in the year (February) to celebrate the biggest 'n best music of 1975.

From what I understand, they attended the after party/parties lol, but not the ceremony. She may have seen them there and gotten a bit mixed up.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Thank you, Soda

Just skimmed through Laura Jackson's "The Eagles Flying High." Since I already knew about the main events it wasn't very revealing; however there were a few details I didn't know. Also, I question the accounts of some of the episodes.

When I have more time, I'm going to read it again more carefully.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

Delilah - I read it too quite awhile ago. JMHO, but I thought it was one of the more accurate books. To the Limit and Eagles F&Q were loaded with errors. What do you question ? Just interested as everyone has a different perspective.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Funnily enough I had a quick flick through Flying High in a bookshop a few weeks ago. Of the parts I read, I found it enjoyable for the most part, although I'd probably like it more if it was written from a bit more of a 'distant' perspective (not quite sure this is the right set of words). I guess it doesn't quite feel authoritative enough for my liking. Admittedly it's probably difficult to find the right balance between sounding like a cheerleader and being over-critical (to me a book like Mark Blake's Pink Floyd biog, Pigs Might Fly, gets it pretty much right). However, the only glaring error I noticed is that at one point it states that Glenn was the lead vocalist on Nightingale.

NKIT, a couple of incidents seemed "off" which is not to say they didn't happen but they don't quite jibe with other accounts. For example:

1. The author states that before the original 4 played their Colorado dates, they performed in some desert locale in New Mexico. This is where they spotted eagles flying around at night and considered it an omen. Can it be an omen if they hadn't named themselves "Eagles" yet? I thought they were still "Teen King and the Emergencies." Also the band reportedly took peyote here which I thought did not happen until they spent the night at the Joshua Tree National Park for those desert photos.

2. The author describes the drug-busting incident on the way to the Bahamas as involving the foursome of Don H, Don's girlfriend, Glenn and Irving Azoff. Yet in the documentary, Bernie is clearly there, leading Glenn to make his remark about his worst fear being locked in a room with Bernie. Also, the way the guys got away with it is described differently by Azoff himself (granted, his re-telling may have occurred years later than the book).

3. The author describes the writing of TITTL as "a soaring number for which [Don and Glenn] brought in Randy Meisner as a co-lyricist." Really? Randy originated the song, came up with the main line as well as a couple of verses, some of which were probably modified by Glenn and Don, who in turn helped him finish the song.

There may be more, but since I scanned the book quickly I may have missed them or can't be sure about them.

A couple of minor inconsistencies include referring to HC as the band's third #1 album in a row and saying Don had no serious girlfriend when he almost died in a plane crash. Yet other accounts say Maren Jensen was in the plane with him. Also, when Bernie quit, the author quotes Glenn as saying, "he went to the loo and never came back." Now would Glenn actually use the term "loo"?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    Funnily enough I had a quick flick through Flying High in a bookshop a few weeks ago. Of the parts I read, I found it enjoyable for the most part, although I'd probably like it more if it was written from a bit more of a 'distant' perspective (not quite sure this is the right set of words). I guess it doesn't quite feel authoritative enough for my liking. Admittedly it's probably difficult to find the right balance between sounding like a cheerleader and being over-critical (to me a book like Mark Blake's Pink Floyd biog, Pigs Might Fly, gets it pretty much right). However, the only glaring error I noticed is that at one point it states that Glenn was the lead vocalist on Nightingale.
    JCL, I agree with you about the tone of the book. It wasn't as objective-sounding as I would have expected. I was put off by the list of sources being mainly magazine articles and interviews, which provide valuable information yet still harbor some PR taint of the day. Even though Marc Elliott's book had errors, I appreciate that he gave more than a one-dimensional view of the band members not named Frey or Henley. Maybe because of this I'm being nit-picky about Flying High.

As I said earlier, there are some details I didn't know about before, esp. the awards and chart information. Being a bit of a Billboard chart geek, I appreciated the latter especially.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Remembering Glenn Frey

Quote Originally Posted by Pippinwhite View Post
    Good for Don. I know Glenn would be happy with this.
    An unrelated aside: The hubs bought the book "To The Limit" for me for Christmas. I was reading bits and pieces of it (Glenn's mom's comment about if his guitar had T&A about rolled me off the sofa laughing), and came up on the bit about the surgeries Glenn had on his nose. The author said the surgeons used Teflon to help shore things up. Assuming that's the case (and I'm not sure I take it all at face value since he has so many anonymous sources, which, as a former newsie, are big red flags for me), then you can look up "teflon rheumatoid arthritis" on Google and there's an established link between the two. It just makes me wonder. It would make sense, sadly.
    Interesting book, though.
    Hi Pippin - How was your Christmas ? Glenn did have his nose fixed twice. So did Linda R. And, I would not be surprised if quite a few of that whole 70's crowd did too. Keep in mind there is a lot of wrong information in the book including that the Super Bowl occurs in October. He also states that Gllenn's mother did not remarry until Glenn was 16. As per Glenn, his mother re-married when he was 3 and he was adopted by his step-father shortly thereafter. There is a lot of family info that is wrong and the book is very pro Don. He semi-cooperated with Eliot and then tried to keep the book from being published when he felt Eliot broke an agreement regarding the 1980 incident.

PS - I know this is late but congratulations on your 500th post. So glad to have you here as a boarder.
    Last edited by New Kid In Town; 12-28-2017 at 10:16 PM.