Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Favoruite moments from the Capital Centre DVD

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Favoruite moments from the Capital Centre DVD

It's entirely possible that something was fixed later in the studio. Everyone does that. Human beings make mistakes and it doesn't make them bad at what they do. The mistake may be a really small one and nobody pays attention during the concert, but you don't want to hear it over and over again on the record or video - at least that's what the artists and/or their producers think. Whether something was fixed here and there or not, the Eagles were an amazing live band. Also, if something was "fixed", it could have been an instrument. Don and Glenn were the main singers who played at the same time - and not "virtuoso" players to begin with like the other guys although still very good - so it's totally understandable if there were inaccuracies here and there they chose to fix. Not saying that they did.

Anyway, my favorite moment is probably the "Randy/Glenn moment" in TITTL.
    Last edited by chaim; 05-08-2017 at 09:43 AM.

Stuck on the Border

What was your role when it came to the music?
    GF: We've been basically remixing our career for 5.1 (surround sound) for the last few months. That was another interesting process for us, to unearth and go back and listen to the original 16 or 24 tracks of our early albums and go through and listen to some of our albums because maybe we hadn't listened to them for awhile. We feel this is going to be one of the best sounding films of its kind.
    http://www.billboard.com/biz/article...-of-the-eagles

Were any of the Capital Center performances available before the HotE DVD release?

As the recordings were remixed, there would have been the potential to fix them.

However, I've been listening to a bootleg from 1980 and, to me, they sound as good on that as on the Eagles Live album.

Border Troubadour

There must be some sort of duplication of filming or later editing: in the documentary itself, the footage of Joe singing the opening lines to Rocky Mountain Way has him sing the studio version lines. In the concert footage, he sings 'Washington, DC way'...

Out on the Border

If you want some strange mystery, check this out:

Here are 3 different audio recordings of Hotel California from the 1977 Capitol Centre, here I have proof. Sorry had to find 2 of these at dailymotion since since they have since been removed from youtube.

1- you know this one -- from the History of the Eagles 2013 DVD
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R80Q_FQGKj4

2- this one which predates HotE is similar however DIFFERENT from #1. Both Don's vocals and guitar solos differ. The tempo is almost exactly the same as #1. Don's vocals are EXTREMELY similar to #1 but I definitely found several obvious vocal differences.
    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1...-1976-li_music

3- this one also predates HotE with a faster tempo, again with different vocals + guitar solos.
    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2...nia-live_music

EDIT: This is the alternate video from '77 and the live recording from 'Eagles live' from 1980. O-K.

#2 and #3 share the same video footage, different from #1. Even at diff. tempos. wow.

Listen to Felder's start of the solo -- each solo is distinct!

What is going on here?

First of all, it is weird to me that #2 and #3 were available before 2013's HotE DVD. Then suddenly in 2013 we get the alternate take on the DVD.

I can only speculate..

- maybe they are all separate live recordings from '77
    - maybe they are 2 distinct live recordings, with studio alterations made after the fact
    - what else?

yikes, too much over analysis LOL
    Last edited by armus2112; 05-25-2017 at 10:56 PM.

Stuck on the Border

For the visuals, it's obvious there were multiple cameras and therefore the images from different cameras could be edited together in different ways.

For the audio, my guess is that there were recordings from the sound check and possibly other shows. We've heard that for studio recordings there was a lot of splicing together different takes, so it's not impossible that the same thing happened here.

I don't think they would have gone as far as to record new vocals now as Henley's voice has changed.

Stuck on the Border

They played two night at the Capital Center and filmed both night. That might explain the slight differences. Also, right before the Capital shows they did a show at MSG.

Quote Originally Posted by armus2112 View Post
    If you want some strange mystery, check this out:

Here are 3 different audio recordings of Hotel California from the 1977 Capitol Centre, here I have proof. Sorry had to find 2 of these at dailymotion since since they have since been removed from youtube.

1- you know this one -- from the History of the Eagles 2013 DVD
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R80Q_FQGKj4

2- this one which predates HotE is similar however DIFFERENT from #1. Both Don's vocals and guitar solos differ. The tempo is almost exactly the same as #1. Don's vocals are EXTREMELY similar to #1 but I definitely found several obvious vocal differences.
    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1...-1976-li_music

3- this one also predates HotE with a faster tempo, again with different vocals + guitar solos.
    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2...nia-live_music

#2 and #3 share the same video footage, different from #1. Even at diff. tempos. wow.

Listen to Felder's start of the solo -- each solo is distinct!

What is going on here?

First of all, it is weird to me that #2 and #3 were available before 2013's HotE DVD. Then suddenly in 2013 we get the alternate take on the DVD.

I can only speculate..

- maybe they are all separate live recordings from '77
    - maybe they are 2 distinct live recordings, with studio alterations made after the fact
    - what else?

yikes, too much over analysis LOL
    Was #2 the version shown on MTV during the 80s? #3 looks like a pirated copy of #2 with a different audio used. The guitars and finger movements don't always match up, esp. the bass. I question whether any of that audio came from the Capital Centre concert.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Banned

The wonderful thing about digital recording is that you can make infinite identical copies.

Back in the days of analog (BBC's first digitally recorded concert was Genesis Wembley 1987), only the master tape would be pristine quality, copies wouldn't sound as good as the original and would also pick up glitches and errors, sometimes even ending up playing at the wrong speed too.

Bill Szymzyck said the first CD version of The Eagles self-titled first LP were half a tone slower than they should have been!

I don't know how many copies would have been sent out as promotional videos around the world but they'd all be slightly different and once they are in the public domain, their is nothing to stop individuals doctoring the recordings in any way they chose.

I'm sure the band would have kept hold of the original master tapes but overtime, depending on how well they are stored, even the quality of the original masters would degrade.

I'm sure the band made the recordings as close to perfect as they possibly could before committing to releasing them as a permanent digital document of the concert.

commendable, I'd say.

Out on the Border

OK duh, I figured it out. The #3 track is the alternate video from '77 and the audio from 'Eagles Live' 1980.

sorry for the drama and confusion!

Banned

You should never apologise for contributing armus2112. I love chatting about the Eagles