Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Why I no longer am happy with my favorite band

Banned

Default Re: Why I no longer am happy with my favorite band

That red/black thing got a bit of getting used to Vector.

It took a bit of finding but I knew it was out there somewhere;
    This is a quote from Don published on July 5th 2013.

"Bernie Leadon is definitely on this tour," he told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "Randy Meisner, if he were healthy and willing, might have been included, too, but his current health will not permit. We are all wishing him well."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...eadon-20130705

Searching for that I also found this snippet, pasted by Sodascouts, the link to the original article didn't work but I believe John Beaudin has posted his lengthy Meisner interview on YouTube.

John Beaudin - I read a bit of "Take it to the Limit."
    Randy - Yeah, there were a couple of [books written about the Eagles].
    It's like catching someone at a wrong time when everyone was kind of angry at everyone
    else. You say things that you really don't mean.
    These people want the dirt and they forget that most of the time there was not any
    dirt. Most of the time we got along really well. Years later you read it and its dirt
    and you think why in the hell did I say that about him whether it's Glen or Henley.
    For God sakes were just people.
    It was a time where there was a little resentment.
    You may find these articles enlightening too;

http://people.com/archive/bassist-co...t-vol-15-no-1/

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,5524651&hl=en

I hope to see Bernie and Randy with the remaining Eagles again in future. Felder too, once he's had an apology accepted by the band.

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    It looks like a poster after you has some additional info regarding what Meisner is claimed to have said regarding the medical bill payment. I have no reason to doubt the story, but no reason to believe it fully, and the speculative reasons for it being done either.
    [I would note that some fans take anything positive about their guy/s as gospel, and anything negative as a lie]

As to the possible reason, your guess sounds as good as any I have heard yet. Just like they did with Walsh who was killing himself, they helped to get him sober. This was done in part to help him as a friend, but also to help the group. As Azoff said in the HOE doc, "they needed at least one of the guitar players".
    As to Meisner turning up for Henley's bash, yes that would be. Frankly, I'd like to see Henley invite all his old bandmates, including Felder & Leadon.

Regarding Henley and it being "his", I was not sure what your thoughts were. Clearly he owns the Eagles and makes all the major decisions. Still, he needs the other guys to tour as the Eagles, as him going out solo is a different animal.
    If he were to invite all the previous members back for the upcoming East/West concerts, that would show a willingness to "get over it" and heal the wounds.
    The latest I heard is that he will invite Frey's son to be a member, and at least one of the former members. That would most likely be Leadon, since he recently toured with them. Yet I am hoping an invite will go out to Meisner & Felder as well, even if they cannot make it for various reasons.
    (I bolded part of this quote to emphasize the part I am addressing.)

Are you sure he owns the Eagles? What about Glenn's share? We don't know if it reverted to Henley on his death or if Glenn's family now owns his half of the Eagles. Also, it doesn't seem as though Henley is making all the decisions. He, Timothy, and Joe have all talked about meeting to decide what to do next, and clearly they also got the go-ahead from Glenn's family on this. Irving Azoff undoubtedly has some kind of a say as well.

I've combed through the questions, answers and replies here, and have found a lot of interesting things. I'm very new here, and not trying to say I have some kind of inside information.

However, I think when discussing these issues, you have to remember that people do and say things at 25 they would never say at 65. Kids are stupid. They do stupid things, especially when they have more money than God, and people all over the place telling them how wonderful they are, and very few calling them on their "stuff".

Plus, there's the drug element. Drugs often change people's personalities. They tend to bring out the absolute worst in some people. I think that was the case here. While they apparently just made Joe goofy, they amplified every fault Glenn had. I'm thinking of something Joe said in HOE. Glenn told him, "I get crazy sometimes and I'm sorry."

I strongly suspect that, if you'd sat down with Glenn one on one, no cameras, just person to person, he'd have said, "Look. I did things I regret. I did and said things I shouldn't have." Most people do. None of us are exempt from being jerks on occasion. In this case, millions of dollars were flying around, so the mistakes were amplified.

If you want to know what happens in a really dysfunctional band, look at Tim's experience with Poco. He'd been with them all those years, and was still barely making a living wage. When he got with the Eagles, he was suddenly making a LOT of money!

I also think you have to look at the whole, not just the parts. Glenn was married to Cindy for over 20 years. By all accounts, he was a caring, devoted dad. He loved his kids and they loved him. I may have been living under a rock, but I never heard a whisper about Glenn saying he was cheating on her or anything like that. And she loved him enough to hang in there with him after he got sick. Lots of marriages have broken up for less. You don't stay with a complete jerk when they get a terminal illness. That's when people leave.

I also know a couple of musicians who knew Glenn from the start, and they said he had his faults like everyone else, but he was, at his core, a decent human being and a good person. In the entertainment world, everything -- good and bad -- is magnified tenfold. And from everything I've read on this board, and heard from others, Glenn was almost always gracious to his fans. I'm an old newspaper refugee, and I can tell you this: how someone famous treats their fans tells you so much about the kind of person they are. I've seen some real lulus.

In ordinary life, no one would know about these issues, but because of that thing called fame, everyone knows. Most people wouldn't look good under that kind of scrutiny. And in the end, these are their issues to work out, not ours.

In any case, the past cannot be changed, so I say love these guys for who they are. As fans, we have the luxury of being able to ignore their failings as humans. If nothing else, I can pray they will be happy and healthy. So that's what I choose to do. Peace and blessings to all.

Stuck on the Border

Pippinwhite - Welcome !

I agree with everything you have said as do most people on this board. What you do in your 20's is far different from what most people would do in their 50's and 60's. And you are right, Glenn and Cindy were married for almost 26 years. From everything I have read he had met his soul mate in Cindy and was a very happy, and loving husband and father. From what what Soda and others have said who met Glenn, he was kind and gracious to his fans. My HS & college years were during the 70's. There was no band bigger than the Eagles then. You could not go anywhere without their songs being played on the radio, including the NY/NJ Metro area where I live. To have all that fame, money, and adulation at their young ages has to mess with your head. I think considering everything, they have come through it better than a lot of others from that time period.

Banned

Great post, pippinwhite. Looking forward to reading more of your point of view on the different threads.

Welcome Pippinwhite and very good well posed answer there about Glenn I feel that way about him too, flawed but a major talent and deep down inside; a good man. It's hard when you read Felder's book not to automatically feel sorry for him and demonise henley frey but all in all I believe they are all deep down good people not amoral in any way jsut difficult at times, who isnt?
    Same Dancers in the Same Old Shoes

Thanks, all. I understand this can be a very touchy subject. And without ragging on Felder at all, it's a tempting thing when you're writing about this kind of thing to make sure you present yourself in the best light possible, and gloss over your own shortcomings. I think Joe and Tim made it very clear in HOTE that there was plenty of blame to go around; there usually is in such a situation. 23.5 years at a newspaper taught me there's NEVER just one side to a story. There may be many sides, and the truth is usually somewhere in the middle.

I do think about what Felder said after Glenn passed. He wished he'd made things right. It's a shame when it takes the death of a friend to help you understand those things you thought were so important really weren't. I'm sure Don thought about that a lot when the news broke. I thought his response was heartbreaking. It's a lesson in making sure you take care of things like that on this side of the river.

People demonized Paul over the breakup of the Beatles, too, over very similar issues. I think time and more information have exonerated him. So many of the same factors were at work. And when you have that many creative people in one place, you're going to get friction. It's inevitable. I've seen reporters come close to having a knock-down, drag out brawl in the newsroom over creative differences. Occupational hazard.

I'm not about to throw rocks. My glass walls are waaaayyy too thin for that. LOL.

Banned

If Felder 'wished he'd made things right' before Glenn died, surely he would have attempted to make peace with the rest of the band after Glenn's death.
    Maybe he has privately but I believe the starting point has to be a public apology from Felder.

I've been involuntarily looking up Vince Gill. The country music community seem to think that he's a great choice; http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/vi...in-the-eagles/
    The Steve Hoffman board also have a discussion on the topic; http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...74606/I've.
    Vince is obviously a highly competent singer and guitarist but I still have him firmly labeled as bland and country.
    Eagles are regressing back to their Country roots. I don't want Walsh to be wasting his time in a retro-country band.

Reading Henley's latest interview, Deacon and Vince aren't coming in to give the band some new blood but rather to avoid rocking the (gravy) boat to mix metaphors.

http://www.telegram.com/news/2017060...les-don-henley
    “Someone a long time ago once asked me what did I attribute my success, and I said I have tolerance for repetition, which is really a necessary tool in a career this long,” Henley said. “Some of these songs are more than 40 years old and I’ve sung them, literally, hundreds of time. You have to go out there and deliver those old songs like it’s the first time you ever sang them.”

If Vince or Deacon can somehow reinvigorate the band, I'll be quite pleased.

I'm a rock music fan and have a strong dislike of Country music, my enthusiasm for the future of Eagle$ is, at this point, waning.

I've seen Vince in concert. He puts on a great show. Full disclosure: I like country music, but I also love good rock and roll. Vince can handle rock easily and will have no trouble with anything they throw at him. When I saw him, he actually did "Heartache Tonight" and tore it up. He's an Eagles fan from way back, and he wants to honor Glenn, not disrespect him. He may be a country singer, but he can rock out, too.

Vince is a serious, gifted musician and artist. He's an incredible guitar player and is highly respected in both the country and rock world. Plus, he's humble enough to play any part they need him to play. A diva, he is not.

This marriage of the remnants of the Eagles with Vince Gill does not feel nor even look like a legitimate union to me. It's downright bizarre.