Page 62 of 88 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672 ... LastLast

Thread: Today in Eagles History

Border Desperado

Default Re: Today in Eagles History

As far as I remember, they took their bows at the end of the show. I didn't leave the show early and I'm sure I would have taken note if they all took off running before they got backstage!

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    Happy anniversary to Witchy Woman and to One of These Nights going to #1.

It amazes me how some songs still sound so fresh 40 years later, yet some songs sound so horribly dated.
    Happy anniversary to both songs1 I totally agree with both of you here. The 'satanic country rock' sound doesn't get old! The idea of songs standing the test of time or sounding dated is a concept that interests me. I think this is because saying that something hasn't aged well implies that it had some appeal in the first place, immediately putting it in a different category to something that was always rubbish and therefore can't 'age badly' because it was never any good in the first place!

Another weird aspect is that it seems to have very little to do with how much you hear a song ('hearing a song too much' is quite a different thing). Up to the age of 18 Rumours was my absolute favourite album, and it wasn't even close. I must have heard it more times than anything else in my life yet I still love it as much as ever now, whereas there are other albums/songs that I used to enjoy hearing in this time where I now think they are just okay and I'm not really sure why I used to think 'I love this'.

On this level I must admit a personal bias - I tend to feel that the music of the late 1970s (especially pre-punk) has aged especially well, whereas I find a lot of 1980s music sounds 'of its time'. I feel it tends to become apparent whether a song is ageing well around the 20-year mark or so (I would feel comfortable calling, for example, R.E.M.'s Losing My Religion a classic song by this stage), so I think it's difficult to draw any conclusions after the mid-1990s.

FWIW, it is just brilliant that you were at the 'Long Night at Wrong Beach'! I would love to hear more about the show.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    The 'satanic country rock' sound doesn't get old!
    Love that quote, where's it from? So cute.

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    FWIW, it is just brilliant that you were at the 'Long Night at Wrong Beach'! I would love to hear more about the show.
    As I mentioned earlier, I really wanted to get tickets for one of the shows at the Santa Monica Civic because I'd never seen any concert at such a small venue. I thought it would be a good place to showcase the Eagles harmony singing. After I struck out with Santa Monica, and I couldn't afford tickets from a scalper, I was lucky to get a chance for Plan B at Long Beach. I was really happy the format was very similar.

The show opened with an acoustic set, with all of them sitting on stools. The format is familiar to us now, but I think at the time it was new for them. The songs I remember were "Saturday Night" and two songs I had never heard before, the Poco song "Keep on Tryin" that Timothy sang and "Seven Bridges Road" which I absolutely loved. Later in the show, they played another song I'd never heard, "Sea Cruise." It was such a fun song. I was happy when it showed up on Glenn's first solo album.

Some other miscellaneous memories... This show was in the middle of the "Joe Walsh for President" campaign. There were some folks wearing "Joe Walsh for President" hats and buttons. I also remember the sax player, Phil Kenzie, was fantastic.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Love that quote, where's it from? So cute.
    I love the quote too! It comes from the liner notes of the 2003 Very Best Of compilation - Don coins the phrase in the section for One Of These Nights. I think this has probably been posted before but here's a link in any case:

http://www.theuncool.com/journalism/...of-the-eagles/

FWIW, thank you for the info about the Long Beach show.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Happy 43rd anniversary of Outlaw Man as a single!

It's my favorite Eagles song.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

I had the chance two see the Eagles twice but did not go and knowing what happend with Glenn I should have said yes to my mother who had tickets to the 2013 Hartford Show. I said no because I did not know much about the band.
    second time I was out of state and I really wanted to go It's nice that I have Farewell 1 and Hell Freezes over on dvd and Eagles Live on Vinyl. But the experience of seeing a live band can never be replaced on record.

Very happy I got to see my man Joe Walsh who is a pleasure sharing a birthday with live in 2015 despite a shorter set list then I liked he played my 3rd favorite show ever . 1st is Guns N Roses who I saw in July and have a review in the other music section and second is Paul Mccartney then Joe, Lynyrd Skynyrd,Eric Clapton and finally Ringo.

Happy 41st Birthday to Lyin' Eyes. I really hate they butchered this song on the radio. I hate the edited version.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Happy 41st anniversary to Lyin' Eyes.

I've never heard the "butchered"version.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

I also want to celebrate LYIN' EYES' 41st birthday!!! I have always loved this song! From the great intro to the last notes, it's perfection! (I agree it should never be chopped up!). The story is so skillfully told and beautifully sung with gorgeous harmonies! It also makes me smile to think of "Plantiff"!
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."