Page 16 of 88 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast

Thread: Today in Eagles History

Default Re: Today in Eagles History

I guess he was hoping to give the impression to anyone interested in the band that there was "NewBreedMania" running rampant!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

It was "the very best of" interview insert that tossed me into total Eagles mode. I always enjoyed their music, but it was those interviews that made me take a second (third, fourth, fifth, etc) look at who they all were and what their respective roles were/are.

Quote Originally Posted by luvthelighthouse View Post
    It was "the very best of" interview insert that tossed me into total Eagles mode. I always enjoyed their music, but it was those interviews that made me take a second (third, fourth, fifth, etc) look at who they all were and what their respective roles were/are.
    I think that did it for me too. Although I had always heard of Don & Glenn, I didn't know what Glenn looked like until HFO. Boy did I get a "nice" surprise ! I had seen Don before on an interview about Walden Woods. My husband had purchased HFO a couple of years after it came out & it was always our favourite video. I had always loved their music.

Wow, 15 years ago today Hell Freezes Over was first aired on MTV.

It introduced me to the Eagles in the sense that it made me realize both Glenn Frey and Don Henley were in the group, and that they did several songs I'd heard on the radio but hadn't known who recorded them.

Anyone else have some "Hell Freezes Over" memories?

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Of course, I do!

Unfortunately, most of the memories of HFO that stick with me aren't good ones except for my obvious delight that the band was getting back together finally. At the time of the 'resumption', everyone was thinking that it wasn't going to be a permanent thing. The thinking was that the band would get together and play a series of shows, and then that would be it. Obviously, the tickets were in very high demand, and very expensive. I'm not positive, but I think it was the first time any act had ever charged over $100 for a concert ticket. But they could, and they did. During this time, I was traveling fulltime in my job, but I wanted very badly to go to one of the shows (especially since I had never been able to afford to go to a show in the '70's). I tried very hard to synch up my travel schedule with a show, but it never happened. Even after the tour was postponed because of Glenn's health issues, I still couldn't manage to work it out. I was very disappointed, and, to this day, I have still not been able to "get over it". I will always regret not making one of those shows because I think this was the band at its absolute peak. After the band 'laid low' in the late '90's, I just figured I'd never get to see them until one fateful day in 2003 when I heard on tv that the Eagles were going to resume touring and would kickoff the tour in none other than my hometown - Richmond, VA. So as the old saying goes ... 'the rest is history'.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Awwwwwww Hell Freezes Over, my first real encounter with the Eagles, how could I forget that!
    It was just an accident that I saw the concert at that time,
    of course I knew songs like Hotel California, Take It Easy and Tequila Sunrise but
    when I heard all the other great songs like I Canīt Tell You Why, Get Over It or Life In The Fast Lane I was totally enthused!
    and so began my passion for the Eagles with HFO!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I remember it, too. My brother, who just lived down the road and was also a fan, happened to see something about them on MTV and called us to come over and watch. (We didn't have cable or satellite being poor and living in the boonies!) We dropped everything and rushed over and it was so cool to see them performing again. I'll always remember it as being different than what I have on dvd though. From what I remember, they were seated on the edge of a roundish stage with the crowd close by and it was a more quiet setting. Maybe I have this confused with another show? Or could we have seen the 'second night'? Anyway, we didn't know that they actually toured after that, but couldn't have afforded to go anyway. (2 very busy teenagers at home!) Then a few years later we were discussing them and hoped that they would tour again and we would somehow, someway try to go. We even thought if it cost as much as $200 per ticket for a really good seat, we would try to make it! Well, thanks to those teenagers needing (?) the internet, I actually tried it out and searched for info on them and lo and behold, we got our chance in 2002 in Ames, Iowa, and it was fabulous!

And then my obsession was rekindled, which eventually led me here!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

My husband, Harold bought the CD of HFO when it came out, but it was defective & he returned it. He said that he didn't care for it. He had only listened once & as Don says, most people don't like a record the 1st time they hear it. I was always more of an Eagles fan than Harold. Anyway, he didn't get another copy to replace the defective one & it was a couple of years later (I think) that he bought the DVD. Don & Glenn were the only 2 Eagles that I knew by name. I didn't know the history of the personnel changes. I had seen Don on a Walden Woods intereview so I recognized him, but I didn't know which one was Glenn Frey. I soon figured it out by the songs that he sang! I remember thinking that he was gorgeous . HFO became our favourite music DVD. Harold has a habit of switching TVs & components between our living room & the family room . When he wants to check his connections he always puts on HFO & we usually end up watching the entire show! HFO kindled my interest in learning more about the guys but it was F1 that put me over the edge with Glenn. I don't know what took me so long!
    Last edited by GlennLover; 10-26-2009 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Spelling

Oh, I have to admit I didn't know what any of the guys looked like - I had seen the old videos from the eighties but I didn't know how they'd aged. I took one look at Glenn Frey and said "Wow - the 'You Belong to the City' guy looks HOT. How old is he again??" He looked even better than I remembered from his mid-80s videos. I was just starting college at the time and so of course I tended to zero in on such things. Never would do that now.

(Not that the other guys didn't look good too - it's just he struck me as the most handsome.)

Anyone want to do an impromptu viewing party of HFO at 8:00 Eastern?

Stuck on the Border

I don't have that many memories of watching it. I said something on my 30th anniversary that I mainly watched it to see that Glenn was still 'in charge', which he was. It was a 'reaffirmation' for me in that sense, but I remain very disappointed by the distribution of lead vocals in that show, and the huge number of slow ballads. When I saw the band on the HFO tour at the end of 1995, the show was far more indicative of what the band was like then. That is why in many regards I prefer to watch Christchurch over HFO.

So it's different for me - not the jaw-dropping revelation that it was for many people. I understand the excitement about it for them but I can't feel quite that way about it.