Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Do You Have a Favorite Ex-Eagle?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Do You Have a Favorite Ex-Eagle?

I will never consider Glenn Frey to be an 'ex Eagle'. However I suppose it was only a matter of time before such a nauseatingly predictable claim was made.

Glenn will NEVER be an ex anything to me.

Me either

Glenn Frey didn't quit the Eagles nor was he fired.

He died.

In January 2016.

While many believed the Eagles could not and would not continue touring as the Eagles without Glenn Frey the band announced plans to co-headline two mega concerts in the summer of 2017 later adding a concert in the northwest in Sept and 5 mini concerts in the fall under the banner Eagles.

To compensate for the loss of Glenn Frey, the band hired Vince Gill and Deacon Frey who made their debut in Los Angleles for The Classic West and are on board for the remainer of 2017 tour.

I don't know how the band views Glenn Frey's status as an Eagle other than they all agree he's irreplaceable.

This is a question I'd like to ask Don Henley, Irving Azoff and the other Eagles family and friends.

Stuck on the Border

Dawn - Amen ......
    I suspect they will all say the same thing they have said for the last 1 1/2 years. Do they really mean that now - who knows.

You know, I saw an interview with Glenn, Tim and Joe from their Sydney HOTE tour. Something Glenn said stuck with me, thinking about the new tour, etc. The interviewer asked if this was their final tour and Glenn said something along the lines of the band itself -- the Eagles entity -- being much bigger than any one individual, and it kind of had a life of its own, that they -- the band members were "bit players in it". That's at 8:40.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rawmdPIUzM

Just an interesting tidbit. Good interview, though.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Pippinwhite View Post
    You know, I saw an interview with Glenn, Tim and Joe from their Sydney HOTE tour. Something Glenn said stuck with me, thinking about the new tour, etc. The interviewer asked if this was their final tour and Glenn said something along the lines of the band itself -- the Eagles entity -- being much bigger than any one individual, and it kind of had a life of its own, that they -- the band members were "bit players in it". That's at 8:40.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rawmdPIUzM

Just an interesting tidbit. Good interview, though.
    He did not say it was bigger than any individual. He said it has a life of its own. Then he said the 'bit players' part. I loved the man but the suggestion that somehow he couldn't make his own decisions because he was consumed by this all powerful entity called 'Eagles' and he was somehow in thrall to it, is ludicrous. Rock bands consist of people. The name is not bigger than the people involved. I do realise that this is precisely the argument which the Remainers have used all along. I completely disagree with it. And in addition, he was not envisaging a situation where someone had died. We don't know what he would have done if he had been in Henley's position. We never will know, even though many people took it on themselves to assume he wished the band to continue.

I'm going to see The Musical Box next year, which is a Genesis tribute band. Am I going to say they are Genesis? Of course I'm not. I saw the Dire Straits Experience, which included two former members of Dire Straits. Were they Dire Straits without Mark Knopfler? Of course not. The difference is that they don't pretend to be what the current group of people calling itself Eagles do.

I don't care whether Henley, Walsh & Schmit now see Frey as an 'ex Eagle'. I do not.
    Last edited by Freypower; 09-03-2017 at 01:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    He did not say it was bigger than any individual. He said it has a life of its own. Then he said the 'bit players' part. I loved the man but the suggestion that somehow he couldn't make his own decisions because he was consumed by this all powerful entity called 'Eagles' and he was somehow in thrall to it, is ludicrous. Rock bands consist of people. The name is not bigger than the people involved. I do realise that this is precisely the argument which the Remainers have used all along. I completely disagree with it.

I'm going to see The Musical Box next year, which is a Genesis tribute band. Am I going to say they are Genesis? Of course I'm not. I saw the Dire Straits Experience, which included two former members of Dire Straits. Were they Dire Straits without Mark Knopfler? Of course not. The difference is that they don't pretend to be what the current group of people calling itself Eagles do.

I don't care whether Henley, Walsh & Schmit now see Frey as an 'ex Eagle'. I do not.
    FP-- All due respect, but you're reading something into my words that I never said, never meant, never implied. I've NEVER said Glenn couldn't make his own decisions or anything of the kind. I never implied it or thought it in the least. I simply thought his words were an interesting reflection, and germane to the current conversation. They were also extremely poignant, considering he had less than a year to live.

I understand and respect your feelings and your position on the surviving Eagles touring as The Eagles. I'm certainly not going to tell you you're wrong. You're entitled to your feelings on it. I know many people agree with you.

I'm not sure how what I posted got turned around into me somehow saying that Glenn was incapable of making his own decisions, and I don't think you could find any comment I've made about him on this board has ever implied any such thing. I loved the man, too, and I don't know how the surviving guys would refer to him. I don't consider him an "ex" anything. He's still my favorite Eagle.

Following the death of Glenn Frey had Henley, TBS and JW not resumed performing and touring as the "Eagles" we wouldn't be having this discussion. No one would even imagine referring to Glenn Frey nor his bandmates Henley, TBS and JW as ex-Eagles. The clock would have stopped in January 2016 but not the history, the songs, the legacy of the band.

i do wonder if Henley, TBS and JW considered the consequences of their actions and how continuing to perform and tour using the Eagles name would ultimatley impact Glenn Frey and his legion of fans who can not and will not ever accept a substitute or multiple substitutes to fill the void left by his absence.

Truth be told the band had other options but purposely and willfully chose to go down this road all the while proclaiming they weren't replacing Glenn Frey rather they were honoring him by continuing the band he played such an integral/pivotal role in creating, naming and enabling to succeed.

Edited to add:

On it's face it would appear this strategy has bought the band a viable opportunity to trade on it's name while at the same time reinvent/reimagine itself with just one original member, two long time members TBS & JW, one sentimental favorite son and a heavy hitter in the industry with his own huge fanbase.

Fans aren't going to forget Glenn Frey that's certainly not the intent of the band but over time as they continue to perform as the Eagles minus Glenn Frey the light will fade and grow dimmer and dimmer.

My personal hope is after the fall tour they will take their final bow as the Eagles.
    Last edited by Dawn; 09-03-2017 at 02:42 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Pippinwhite View Post
    FP-- All due respect, but you're reading something into my words that I never said, never meant, never implied. I've NEVER said Glenn couldn't make his own decisions or anything of the kind. I never implied it or thought it in the least. I simply thought his words were an interesting reflection, and germane to the current conversation. They were also extremely poignant, considering he had less than a year to live.

I understand and respect your feelings and your position on the surviving Eagles touring as The Eagles. I'm certainly not going to tell you you're wrong. You're entitled to your feelings on it. I know many people agree with you.

I'm not sure how what I posted got turned around into me somehow saying that Glenn was incapable of making his own decisions, and I don't think you could find any comment I've made about him on this board has ever implied any such thing. I loved the man, too, and I don't know how the surviving guys would refer to him. I don't consider him an "ex" anything. He's still my favorite Eagle.

I was commenting on what Glenn said, not what you said. I just can't agree with this whoe 'the band is bigger than the members' stuff.