Page 19 of 114 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969 ... LastLast

Thread: Concerts

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Bob Dylan! Hope you had a good time, even with your seats. I don't know much about him other than "Like a Rolling Stone", but I know lots of people really like him. He most definitely has a place in the history of rock & roll! Quite the legend!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

Thanks for your review, FP. I remember I heard some songs in my younger days but can't name one song of him.

Stuck on the Border

Not even Like A Rolling Stone? Blowin' In The Wind? Oh well, EF.... Dylan is not for everyone. My husband cannot stand him.

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

It's not that don't like his songs I know I do but I haven't listened to him for a long long time.

Stuck on the Border

Steely Dan - Sydney Entertainment Centre September 18

1. Time Out of Mind
    2. Black Cow
    3. I Got The News
    4. Hey 19
    5. Peg
    6. Babylon Sisters
    7. Green Earrings
    8. Haitian Divorce
    9. Black Friday
    10. Dirty Work
    11 Josie
    12 Aja
    13 Do it Again
    ENCORE
    14 Deacon Blues
    15 Kid Charlemagne

I've just been looking at Dandom.com's guestbook and I think this is a representative comment:

Went to see the Dan in Sydney tonite. I was pretty disappointed. Everything was very slick and note perfect, but I think the Dan were w***ed out. This is the last few concerts of a huge tour. I suppose I can’t blame them, but I wish I could. Aus just doesn’t really feature, obviously, in a lot of major bands headlights. I did get a good seat although the venue was terrible. All the musicians were excellent as usual, but didn’t really get anything going. It was interesting seeing the audience, it was like they were attending a lecture…no one stirred. There was little to get excited about. I think the thing that irked me the most was that there was zero interaction between the musicians. They didn't seem to be enjoying themselves. Everyone seemed to be in their own little world: "I'm going to nail this sucker (again) and go and watch some TV dammit!" There was also little of the trademark Dan banter, if any at all. Difficult to reconcile their outrageously great catalogue with this....but such is life.

Now let me add some thoughts of my own.

Walter Becker played guitar, not bass, and did some good solos. He did a monologue during Hey Nineteen which led to him asking what you'd give the lady you wanted to impress to drink and smoke? You guessed it. The backing singers (two women) then sang 'the Cuervo gold, the fine Colombian'... Becker also sang Haitian Divorce. This was interesting. The two women sang Dirty Work, or rather screeched it. Fagen was good but seemed rather tired. As you can see it was a greatest hits show. There was hardly any recent material. While I missed Pretzel Logic, Rikki Don't Lose That Number, Bad Sneakers and Reelin' In The Years, I was very happy to hear Deacon Blues, as I think this is the song which gave Frey Jr. his name, Black Friday with its 'local colour' (feeding kangaroos in Muswellbrook in the Hunter Valley), and Kid Charlemagne. I could have done without both Josie and Peg. Oh well.

They had an excellent guitarist called John Harrington. He was slim with dark hair, wore a black T shirt and jeans, and in his unobtrusive way reminded me of one S. Smith.

And you could buy what was labelled a 'Steely Dan T shirt' as in the line from Show Biz Kids which they didn't even play! It was pale pink and it would have looked crap on me, so I didn't buy it.

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

I've seen Bob Dylan twice and loved both shows. Would definitely go and see him again.

I'm going to see Clay Walker tonight. I've not seen him in concert before, but I've heard good things about his show.

PLS, have a great time at Clay's concert and look forward to hearing your review. I don't know his work, either. Country doesn't cross over to Britain to the same extent as rock.

Fp, sorry to hear that the Dan were a bit flat. I remember reading liner notes which said in the beginning they never intended to be a live band, but it was forced upon them. Donald Fagen was a reluctant vocalist, although I think he has proved himself, and his solo work is good. I have The Nightfly, which sounds more Steely Danesque than Steely Dan.

Not much in that setlist from their first three albums, which happen to be my favourites. I can't imagine Dirty Work being savaged by two female backing singers - it's one of my favourites and features David Palmer on vocals, who subsequently departed after a disastrous live concert in 116 degrees, when they had mistakenly tried to rehydrate with the local beer! I would have liked to have heard Reelin' In The Years, Rikki Don't Lose That Number, Pretzel Logic, Pearl Of The Quarter and My Old School.

That t-shirt sounds a bit like a last minute effort to me.

Despite that, if they ever come to the UK, I shall still make an effort to see them.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Fp, sorry about your Steely Dan concert.

PLS, have fun at the Clay Walker concert. I really like most of his songs and he's very easy on the eyes!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Don't get me wrong - I did enjoy the show. But I would have liked all those critics who always said Steely Dan were 'cutting edge' and the Eagles were 'boring' to see this show. It was the safest and most unchallenging show I think I've ever seen. BIG RISK not to do Rikki Don't Lose That Number. HEAVY STUFF. Not.