Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: California Jam 1974

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Default Re: California Jam 1974

I loved this concert too and watching the vids on YT!!! I too loved how Glenn was featured so much more than usual, and a bit weird not having Don sing. I agree with AG too and I knew most of the other bands from a young age thanks to my parents, aunts, and uncles.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Border Desperado

I was living in So Cal in 1974 and I remember the excitement of Cal Jam well. The Eagles rocked their set. So glad we can re-live the event on YouTube now. My favorite Glenn comment was about seeing the Goodyear blimp. "Just like Wide World of Sports." They must have felt like they really hit the big time playing to such a huge crowd.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

You were there! I'm very jealous

Border Desperado

Oops. The way I worded my post makes it sound like I was there. My older brother got to go. My parents thought I was a little too young even though some of my friends went. I was living very close to the venue and Cal Jam was the talk of the town for quite a while!

Did you watch it on tv?

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I love the solo on Already Gone... Though I'm much like Walsh in that I'm not a technician or a theory man, and don't want to be. I'm all about blues box pentatonic playing and Chuck Berry licks.
    WalshFan, are you able to play "Life's Been Good"? I'm not The multiple string bending in first position on the neck [for the main riff] - Joe must have incredible strength in his hands. I would not want to get in a thumb-wrestling match with the man.

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Did you watch it on tv?
    No, that was back in the dark ages when there were only 3 channels: ABC, CBS and NBC. Lol. I heard it on the radio. When I found the Cal Jam videos on YouTube many years later, I joked with my mother that I *finally* got a chance to see the show.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    WalshFan, are you able to play "Life's Been Good"? I'm not The multiple string bending in first position on the neck [for the main riff] - Joe must have incredible strength in his hands. I would not want to get in a thumb-wrestling match with the man.
    Yes. But I agree it is tough, at least at first. Almost impossible on acoustic. I love that riff though.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Does anyone have this DVD?

http://www.rockshowvideos.com/caljam1974dvd.html

I am interested but TBH, I only want the Eagles footage; the rest I can always watch on YT. I was wondering about video/sound quality and any little extras.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

I bought the whole thing. The Eagles set is sadly short - I think it's only about 4 songs? I don't know why. The sets by Earth, Wind & Fire and Seals & Crofts seemed much longer (I don't mean that in a snarky way, I love those bands).

The quality is fine. There are no extras. If you're not interested in the other bands, you'd probably be better off with YouTube or Vimeo, one of those.