Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: California Jam 1974

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: California Jam 1974

I must admit that I've always found the chorus licks in AG confusing - still do - because the sound may be more like Don's, but Glenn's solo continues straight from the last lick in the second chorus. That's why I'm more inclined to believe that Glenn played those licks on the record. But of course it's possible that Glenn joined Don on the last lick and started his solo from there.

I must say one thing here...Glenn's solo in Already Gone might be my least favorite Eagles guitar solo from him. It's sometimes too on-the-beat for me and some of the licks aren't very...imaginative. But all the same, it irritates me when people on YouTube "educate" others, telling them that Glenn learned Don's solo because Don couldn't make it.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I must admit that I've always found the chorus licks in AG confusing - still do - because the sound may be more like Don's, but Glenn's solo continues straight from the last lick in the second chorus. That's why I'm more inclined to believe that Glenn played those licks on the record. But of course it's possible that Glenn joined Don on the last lick and started his solo from there.

I must say one thing here...Glenn's solo in Already Gone might be my least favorite Eagles guitar solo from him. It's sometimes too on-the-beat for me and some of the licks aren't very...imaginative. But all the same, it irritates me when people on YouTube "educate" others, telling them that Glenn learned Don's solo because Don couldn't make it.
    I love the solo on Already Gone... Though I'm much like Walsh in that I'm not a technician or a theory man, and don't want to be. I'm all about blues box pentatonic playing and Chuck Berry licks. I find it's just as valid as the super talented people like Satriani and whatnot. I find it's more raw and full of soul. I like blues based raw rock playing in the style of Walsh, Page, and Perry. Some call it sloppy, I call it swagger. Some call lots of notes talent, I call it wanking lol.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I love the solo on Already Gone... Though I'm much like Walsh in that I'm not a technician or a theory man, and don't want to be. I'm all about blues box pentatonic playing and Chuck Berry licks. I find it's just as valid as the super talented people like Satriani and whatnot. I find it's more raw and full of soul. I like blues based raw rock playing in the style of Walsh, Page, and Perry. Some call it sloppy, I call it swagger. Some call lots of notes talent, I call it wanking lol.
    I think that both can be done extremely tastefully and extremely badly. I, for example, haven't listened to blues music, but I've been in "jam" situations where the I, IV, V chord progression has been played and of course I've played pentatonic stuff. I can play the notes, but it doesn't sound like real blues. It's just a guy playing a pentatonic scale. I love to listen to that stuff, but I can't make the guitar sing by playing it.

On the other hand, technique and fast playing can be used tastefully. I think Bruce Kulick did on his first KISS records. Actually I prefer his pre-Revenge solos, although everyone raves about how he started playing better on Revenge (better = a bit slower). Ironically I think that his pre-Revenge solos are better constructed and they have a better flow. And they are more memorable. Personally I couldn't shred if my life depended on it.

So, pentatonic blues playing can sound extremely dull if the player has no feel for that kind of music. And extremely fast playing can be dull if there's no sense of structure or melody.

Then it comes to the question, which one is more torture, badly played blues or shredding for shredding's sake? A tough one.

Stuck on the Border

I read that with AG, Felder added a second lead guitar to the track which had already been recorded. I don't pay close attention to the guitars, so I don't miss Felder's contribution on the California Jam version.

I'd be interested if someone with guitar knowledge would listen to the bootleg version of GDIH (Nov 1973) and explain how the the slide guitar on that differs from the recorded version. I know the playing on the record is stronger and the mix is differerent, but is it signficantly different?

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Just noticed that today marks the 42nd anniversary of the Eagles' California Jam. I think they only did four songs, but the performances are all very good, especially Take It Easy, which is one of my favourite live song performances - I always love it but this version feels unique to me as I like the vocal ad libs and Jackson's prominent piano near the end.

I must admit I do notice the absence of the second lead guitar on Already Gone, although it's still a quality performance and Glenn does a great job with his solo. Glenn was really on a roll at this stage I think, I recently mentioned how I feel he is the star of the show on the On The Border album and it's the same here with him singing three of the lead vocals plus playing lead guitar on Already Gone. Actually, I've only just realised that Don Henley didn't have a lead vocal in this show! That seems quite incredible when you contrast it with the Hotel California era.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

I wonder why their set was so short? I know Desperado was a bit of disappointment sales-wise, but they had roared back with the single Already Gone from OTB.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Happy anniversary to this performance. I love it, particularly Already Gone because Glenn is front and center on it.

I have to laugh at Soda's first post, where she mentions that only the Eagles would be recognized by the younger generation. I was 13 when she made that comment, and I would've known most of the bands listed and could name several songs from each, especially Sabbath and Deep Purple. In the current time, I know all bands, and are familiar with them, even Rare Earth and Seals and Croft..
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    I wonder why their set was so short? I know Desperado was a bit of disappointment sales-wise, but they had roared back with the single Already Gone from OTB.
    On the Border was released on March 22, 1974 and the first single wasn't released until after California Jam. Compared to ELP, Deep Purple and such, they weren't a big band at that point.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Yeah but Earth, Wind & Fire played a long set and they didn't have their breakthrough single and album until 1975's That's the Way of the World.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

As one of the younger people here, and British, I have to say that once I discount the Eagles, three of the bands on the California Jam setlist are much more recognisable to me than any of the others - Black Sabbath, Deep Purple and ELP. In the UK I think most casual rock fans tend to know who the first two are, but I can understand Soda's point from an American perspective.

Of these bands, Deep Purple is the one I know and like best - the Mark 2 version (Ian Gillan, Ritchie Blackmore, Jon Lord, Roger Glover and Ian Paice) is one of my favourite bands, although it was the Mark 3 version who played at the Jam whose albums I am not quite so familiar with, though Burn is a terrific song. Their peak was a bit short compared to most of the other great bands, but what a peak it was. My favourite song by them is Highway Star, although I think all of the songs on In Rock and especially Machine Head are impressive. I'm not an expert on Black Sabbath or ELP, though I can name songs by them, and I know exactly who the band members are and what type of music they made, so to speak.

The other names on the list don't mean much to me, to be honest. I think I might have heard a Seals & Croft song on the radio once, and I've come across Earth, Fire and Wind before, but I really don't know the other two (Rare Earth or Black Oak Arkansas) at all.

I can understand why the Eagles weren't headliners at that stage, as they had only just released their third album and as Desperado had not been as successful as hoped. It would have been awesome to see them there though, especially when I look at the mostly dreadful weather we've had here today (it's been windy all day, with awful rain showers to boot) the sunshine looks glorious!