Page 181 of 195 FirstFirst ... 81131171177178179180181182183184185191 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,810 of 1947

Thread: Don in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Default Re: Don in the Press/Blogs/etc.

I didn't know Lorelei was 16 when she was dating Don. That's new to me.

Probably a lot of musicians from back then are very guilty of dating underage girls. Their parents probably didn't care since they were rock stars.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

It was pretty normal for older guys to date underage girls back then. And the girls were willing and chasing after them! Don't come back and say you weren't after 30+ years!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    It was pretty normal for older guys to date underage girls back then. And the girls were willing and chasing after them! Don't come back and say you weren't after 30+ years!
    And then later that person writes a tell-all book about their time together or your time with other famous people. I guess its different from back in the day to today. You kinda can't get away with that today even if the parents signed a consent to say its ok for their child to date an older guy.

I'm guessing Don knew how old Lorelei was. I don't know if they know about his relationship with Lorelei, but I'm leaning toward the 1980 incident as for the reason Don's name was included on the list.

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well - Here is what we know ...

Don was known for dating underage teenagers back in the day. However, there is no evidence that this was anything but consensual. And, he was, in fact, charged with contributing to the delinquency of minors in the 1980's incident. He pleaded 'no contest' and was convicted, fined, and put on probation. There was never any public record of any additional incidences after this. Now, I am not defending this behavior, other than to say it was a very different time with very different standards at the time as others have mentioned here. By today's standards, I guess you can make an argument that these 'girls' were abused, but it was certainly not perceived that way back then unless someone was forced to do something against their will.

However, I have to agree with what most others have said here. To me, this has nothing to do with whether or not Spotify (or any other music service or activist group) should ban his music. The public should be the ones to decide what and who they want to listen to, AFAIC. I strongly oppose this type of censorship.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

There is no such thing as "consensual" when one party is under the statutory age - the concept doesn't exist, its a legal impossibility.

I think the music streaming companies should have the right to include whoever they want on their roster. They're not telling us who we can or can't listen to. If they don't want to support or be associated with R. Kelly, fine with me. But they risk losing business. Some companies are fine with that. On the spectrum of bad-behaving musicians, I don't think Don Henley even makes it onto the low end of the spectrum! However, as Dreamer states, he does have a conviction against him, which isn't the case with many of the rumored alleged serial abusers. Bill Wyman dated a 13-year-old girl when he was 47 and married her five years later.

In the 1980 case, did the young woman who OD'd even make a complaint against Don? Have any women made public complaints to law enforcement that he abused them?

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I guess I didn't make it clear that I totally understand under the letter of the law that a minor cannot legally give consent to sexual acts. However, I did make the distinction that in the '70's, as a practical matter, as long as nothing occurred against someone's will, the perception was that it was considered to be consensual.

And, of course, Spotify has the right to do whatever they wish, but, as I said, I am, personally, very much opposed to this type of censorship.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    There is no such thing as "consensual" when one party is under the statutory age - the concept doesn't exist, its a legal impossibility.

I think the music streaming companies should have the right to include whoever they want on their roster. They're not telling us who we can or can't listen to. If they don't want to support or be associated with R. Kelly, fine with me. But they risk losing business. Some companies are fine with that. On the spectrum of bad-behaving musicians, I don't think Don Henley even makes it onto the low end of the spectrum! However, as Dreamer states, he does have a conviction against him, which isn't the case with many of the rumored alleged serial abusers. Bill Wyman dated a 13-year-old girl when he was 47 and married her five years later.

In the 1980 case, did the young woman who OD'd even make a complaint against Don? Have any women made public complaints to law enforcement that he abused them?
    Not that we know of. So I'm going to say no. Their was a rumor last year that one of the girls was going to come out(which was supposed to happened around this time), but it looks like it was just a rumor and just gossip.

I knew about Don dated young women, but I didn't know about the underage dating. I was shocked to know that Lorelei was 16 when she was dating Don.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    No. He was reported by the paramedics to police because the young girl was on drugs in his home, and he was found to have "contributed to her delinquency" by a judge as a result, but she pressed no charges or even informally claimed he abused her as far as I know. No other women have made any complaints that he abused them either.

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    I knew about Don dated young women, but I didn't know about the underage dating. I was shocked to know that Lorelei was 16 when she was dating Don.
    If you want to know more about the relationship with Lorelei Shellist, I summarized what she said in Runway Runaway here.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Thanks for that, Soda. Interesting summary you wrote about Don from the book.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Thank you, Soda. "Sometimes to keep it together, you've got to leave it alone" is pretty much my favorite line from any Eagles song - I can't believe they didn't write it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ETA: I just Googled images of Lorelei Shellist - some of those photos look remarkably like Sharon Henley - he has a type