Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Waiting In The Weeds

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I'm sure he did Katherine! Well done in instilling musical values into the younger generation!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter
    I'm sure he did Katherine! Well done in instilling musical values into the younger generation!
    Yes, I'm trying my hardest to educate another generation about the best band in the world. I forgot to mention that also yesterday he and his sister, brother, and friend were having a discussion about what Hotel California meant. I guess knowing that I'm the crazy aunt who loves the Eagles, they came and asked me. I thought, "Oh where to start?", but I just gave them the pat answer of "it's about the decadent life during the 70's in LA." Not sure if that satisified them, but I didn't want to bore them with all of the various interpretations that have been around for the last 30 years!
    "You don't have to prove nothin' to nobody, just take good care of yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer
    I just realized that I had not commented before in this thread. What an oversight for such a beautiful song. I can't add much to what has already been said. The song is a true gem and considering that it seems to be one of the most popular songs on the album with the fans, I wonder if they will release this as a single and/or perform this live. I bet it would be spine-tingling to see this performed live.
    Wow, Dreamer, it's taken me even longer to post a comment in this thread. I'd forgotten that I hadn't since I commented on the song while we were playing the "First Impressions Survivor" game for the album. Well, here goes:

This is definitely one of my favourites on the album. I can't decide on my favourite, but I'd put this one in the top three.

It's a poignant song for me - it makes me think deeply and listen intently. The instrumentation and magnificent harmonies take me to a far away place that I have not yet seen. It instills a longing within me for a better life, as I wait, watch and persevere for my luck to change. Not necessarily in the same vein as Don is writing here, but I can identify with his feelings.

The lyrics are sheer genius. If I were to attempt to write another song, I would never be able to think of lyrics as sophisticated and poetic as these. I also had no idea what "egg and dart" referred to until I read GEF and Soda's explanations here.

Don's lead vocal is superb, laden with deep emotion, aching and longing. Following on from the comments here about lines flowing into each other, I particularly admire the lines that go thus:

And he's the darling of the chic
    The flavour of the week
    Is melting down
    Your pretty summer dress
    Baby, what a mess you're making

The double meanings in all these lines just blow me away. It makes me wonder how much time Don spent on these lyrics. The "flavour of the week" could be referring to both his lost love's new partner, as well as the ice cream that's melting down her "pretty summer dress". The "mess" that she's making could be both the ice cream melting as well as the new relationship that she's in. Well, that's the way I hear it, and the brilliance is awe-inspiring.

From a musical point of view, the fact that the song is written in the key of G# (sharp) impresses me too. How many pop/rock songs are written in G#?

I too would love to see the boys perform this live. I think I'll probably cry.

I've been educating my office mates with LROOE, and this morning I was singing WITW as I did my work. Nobody seemed to mind.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

From the first moment I heard Waiting in the Weeds, I was HOOKED. I quickly thumbed through the insert that came with the CD's and began learning the lyrics. The melody is so soothing. It's my favorite of all of the songs from Long Road out of Eden. I agree, it's a masterpiece!

Default Re: Love

Quote Originally Posted by rcknalwys
    I love this one too, especially when Timothy comes in there at the end. I do the same thing PLS, I go right in there with Timothy and forget all about Don!
    I'm the same way. By the time Timothy comes in, I'm like "Who's Don?"
    How can love survive in such a graceless age?

Out on the Border

This is the top song on the album for me... the absolute "Wow, that is unbelievable Henley lyric and Eagles sound" that totally blows me away every time I hear it. And the lyrics have about three different layers, not just two. There are all the obvious "visual" things on the surface, but then the middle layer has story after story tucked in there ("lost love" stuff, "environmental issues" stuff, and "politics and greed in America" stuff). Of course greed and self-indulgance in America has been one of Don's favorite topics for years (decades?), but this song may just be presenting a little bit of his personal hope that the situation may change a little bit as he enters and goes through this "fall season" of his life. At least that's some of what I'm hearing, anyway.

But what a totally incredible and amazing song!

Have they been doing this one live at the shows? I sure hope so.

3 days 'til Atlanta (for me)! I am getting soooooo psyched!!!
    Chris

They've been doing it live. I'm DYING to hear it!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

It was absolutely Gorgeous live in london. You are in for a treat. Hope you have a great night cNC!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Cmoore, I was listening to this song on my flight back to Cape Town from London after I saw the Eagles perform on 20 March (LROOE was part of the in-flight entertainment), and I began crying - such was my emotion after having been so excited to see the boys, then seeing them and being happier than I've possibly ever been in my life, and then being reminded that it was all over already. I always feel emotional listening to this song, but at that moment it certainly brought on the waterworks.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Default Re: Waiting In The Weeds

I made a video for this a few years ago and put it in the context of Don "waiting in the weeds" for his opportunity to have himself heard, whether it be as a solo artist or back with the Eagles.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten