Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Waiting In The Weeds

While it's true that it's a type of molding, the origin of it is that in ancient Greece, the egg and dart was symbolic of birth/life and death. I think Don was going more for that original meaning - the cycle of life.

http://www.agrellcarving.com/portfolio/lion.html

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by SodaScouts
    While it's true that it's a type of molding, the origin of it is that in ancient Greece, the egg and dart was symbolic of birth/life and death. I think Don was going more for that original meaning - the cycle of life.

Ah ha! That is an even better explanation and the one I imagine Don is using, too.

Thank you Soda.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Default egg and dart

I read a similar description of this phrase SodaScouts. The egg and dart is also an Egyption symbol of eternal life. It fits right in there with "tide's eternal tune" and "phases of the moon" and "chambers of the heart". Such an unusual phrase to have used yet how perfectly it compliments the rest of the words. Quite a wordsmith that Don Henley lol
    I possess the silver bullets to slay the demons from my past. How do I know? Because I survived them-and I am already stronger than I believe.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I just realized that I had not commented before in this thread. What an oversight for such a beautiful song. I can't add much to what has already been said. The song is a true gem and considering that it seems to be one of the most popular songs on the album with the fans, I wonder if they will release this as a single and/or perform this live. I bet it would be spine-tingling to see this performed live.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Default Re: egg and dart

Quote Originally Posted by rcknalwys
    I read a similar description of this phrase SodaScouts. The egg and dart is also an Egyption symbol of eternal life. It fits right in there with "tide's eternal tune" and "phases of the moon" and "chambers of the heart". Such an unusual phrase to have used yet how perfectly it compliments the rest of the words. Quite a wordsmith that Don Henley lol
    You said it. Sometimes the man just amazes me with his sophisticated usages of imagery and phrasing.

Quote Originally Posted by SodaScouts

Ah yes, that makes more sense. Thanks for that explanantion, and yours too, ricknalwys.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

I've enjoyed reading everyone's comments regarding this song. It seems like this song has really struck a chord with everyone - me included. Before I got my CD, I had been hearing some buzz about this song in particular. When I first started listening to it, I thought it was pretty decent, but nothing extraordinary, and then I got to the lyrics, "And he's the darling of the chic..." and I was just bowled over. Like many others in this thread, I've been listening to this one over and over. Someone mentioned that they thought it was too long. In my opinion, it's not long enough. I'm always bummed when it ends, so I end up repeating it.

I'm no music critic, so I'll probably explain this clumsily, but I just love the way the "I've been waiting in the weeds..." refrain has an irregular pattern (to my ears at least). It's hard to explain, but it'll seem like a line of lyrics is done, but then Don will sing one or two more words to finish off the phrase. Example: "I've been keepin' to myself, knowing that the seasons are slowly changing....you" and then other parts of the refrain will have lines kind of running into one another without a pause. Example: "...lying on the outskirts of this lonesome town and I imagine sunlight..." And, is Don Henley the only songwriter that could possibly use the phrase "proximity and chance" in a song and not make it seem clumsy?

I also agree with those of you who said you liked the part when Timothy starts to sing opposite Don. God, that's gorgeous! Does anyone else get a Bruce Hornsby vibe when listening to the piano playing at the end? I know he's not credited at all on this song, but it seems so Hornsby-esque to me.

If they do tour - (please, please, please!) - I hope they sing this one. I really think it would be a show-stopper.
    "You don't have to prove nothin' to nobody, just take good care of yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by katherine5832
    When I first started listening to it, I thought it was pretty decent, but nothing extraordinary, and then I got to the lyrics, "And he's the darling of the chic..." and I was just bowled over.
    That was what put this song over the top for me as well. And then, after that, he just keeps hitting you with line after incredible line, and the harmonies build, and it just keeps getting better and better. Amazing.

I'm no music critic, so I'll probably explain this clumsily, but I just love the way the "I've been waiting in the weeds..." refrain has an irregular pattern (to my ears at least). It's hard to explain, but it'll seem like a line of lyrics is done, but then Don will sing one or two more words to finish off the phrase. Example: "I've been keepin' to myself, knowing that the seasons are slowly changing....you" and then other parts of the refrain will have lines kind of running into one another without a pause. Example: "...lying on the outskirts of this lonesome town and I imagine sunlight..." And, is Don Henley the only songwriter that could possibly use the phrase "proximity and chance" in a song and not make it seem clumsy?
    I noticed this too! It stood out to me when I was trying to transcribe the song and I wasn't sure where to break the lines (before I had the CD artwork obviously lol). I also didn't realize that the "you" went with the line before it until I read that in the lyrics. I thought it was "the seasons are slowly changing / ooh, and though you're with somebody else..." He kind of throws you a curveball there.

I personally think it's to achieve the effect of the endless cycle. Just when you think the thought is ended, it continues to the next line, both echoing the line melodically and thematically but building upon it as well... and so on, and so on. Even when you have breaks, key changes, and melodic shifts, the images echo each other. It's amazing to me that this has so much repetition musically and yet, listening to it, it doesn't sound repetitive at all. That is such an achievement and attests to the power of the lyrics.

I didn't notice the Hornsby thing before, but now that you mention it, I can see it.

I have sailed on to Lahaina. Put up a neon sign 'Jesus is Coming'

From the first moment I heard WITW the song grabbed me emotionally. I cannot wait to witness it preformed live. I anticipate it grabbing me just as Desperado and Wasted Time do live.
    I've been biding time with the crows and sparrows while peacocks prance and strut upon the stage. If finding love is just a Dance, Proximity and Chance, You will excuse me if I skip the masquerade.

I made my sister listen to this song the other day telling her how fantastic it was and that it was one of the best things that Don's ever written. I also told her that once she heard it once or twice, she would not be able to stop thinking about it. She admitted that it made her teary and she would probably end up buying the CD.

I had my 11-year-old nephew in my car yesterday and I was playing the CD. I told him that WITW was my favorite song on the CD. After NMCD started playing, he said, "Yeah, I liked # 7, that Waiting in the Weeds song." A few hours later when I was driving with him again, he said, "I can't get that song Waiting in the Weeds song out of my head." Being the nice aunt that I am, I immediately played it for him again. I'm hoping that he went home and told his mom to buy the CD already!
    "You don't have to prove nothin' to nobody, just take good care of yourself."