Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: So are they breaking up?!

Out on the Border

Default Re: So are they breaking up?!

Lol. But that's just the point of the discussion. The post you showed was my first one so I don't know how that is some how worth criticizing in terms of how it was asked, why, or when. All the responses you point out...came out after I asked. How else do responses and answers happen if there is not a question to begin with. Hmmm...I appear to be the first human being to address something rather obvious that I don't think is too far out of league here for a public figure who was in a pop group. Lol. Also I addressed any sensitivities or concerns about it somehow being the "wrong time to ask" or "addressing the issue" but there are six billion other people on Earth and I don't think it is beyond the pale that someone or more specifically myself ask so what's up with the pop group that made this public figure so popular? People are allowed to ask about public figures. What confounds me is the total lack of interest and inquiring what the future holds for these folks. As it is you are posting the manager addressing what he thinks at this point in time. So it really isn't such an absurd thing I would say.

Quote Originally Posted by 1EyedWick View Post
    I do not mean to be rude or crass asking this question...and I actually do understand why for a few reasons BUT I do not understand on some levels why no one anywhere from what I can see has posted a simple question about The Eagles concerning Glenn's passing (R.I.P). Are the Eagles breaking up?! Are they continuing?! Why has not a single thought passed and been posted anywhere in the media or fans concerning this?! I'm dumbfounded.
    I stated in my post about his death that I see this as the oficial end of the band. What would be the point? More money? Does Don need more money?

Out on the Border

That's another thing that blows my mind. The Eagles unfortunately were like The Rolling Stones and maybe some other acts how they were kind of an "oldies act" where the fans had no interest, curiosity, and inquisitioning about new music mere less new studio l.p.s. Same can be said for Black Sabbath, Queen, Fleetwood Mac, Van Halen, etc. I don't understand how people can be so closed minded about a music act or music acts plural that they seem to give an impression of caring so much about. On some level I can understand if the new music sucks BUT it confounds the mind when Joe Walsh is asked in an interview about a new (at the time of course) solo studio l.p. with the Eagles while he was promoting "Analog Man" first thing in the interview and he states "It is in the can." and then he and the interviewer just move on with the interview focusing only on whatever else not related to that question. (!) Again it leaves me dumbfound not only how that was so overlooked in the interview yet barely any sources address what Joe said that you would think would be interested such as, I don't know, the fans.

So what does it take for the fans to no longer care about new music and only want to hear the same songs over and over for decades and to never grow as either a person or allow the group they admire to change in any way EVER? I mean we are talking about an act that charges far more per ticket than what people spend on buying songs or stealing them. They only had seven studio l.p.s (though I guess they would do songs from groups and projects outside of The Eagles such as solo songs).

Angry Re: So are they breaking up?!

I'm a Eaglesfans from China,last weekend I registered in this forum.Before that I listened the Eagles songs for several years,their songs deeply moved me,when I knew Glenn Frey had to fly,I was in deep sorrow,they went to China in 2011 and I didn't come to the concert,for I didn't know them at that time,if only I had known them earlier.Now in our city is raining,it's just as terrible as I am now.

Stuck on the Border

A few decades ago rock musicians didn't expect to be still doing it when they're thirty. Nowadays they are expected to keep releasing innovative albums that cover new ground when they're seventy. Maybe in the 90's the Eagles could've been expected to record more (and most of us probably did), but these days, IMHO, it's just common sense to not expect people who are way past retirement age to keep putting out new stuff. Touring's another matter. Especially with a band like the Eagles who gain new fans among every generation and new people get (got) to experience them live.

And when you have relatively young children like Glenn did (and Don, I think, has too), you don't need another situation that lasts for months (if not years) where you have to stress about songwriting, trying to find time to get together with the others to argue about songs or general direction, arranging songs, trying to arrange session schedules for people who have their own schedules when they are not touring etc. etc. etc. etc.

Me? I'd love to get new stuff from Procol Harum, Moody Blues, Eagles (well, up 'til now), KISS etc., but I realize that I can't be expecting to get it. But I can still enjoy their previous albums and go see them if I choose to. And I can also choose to not go see them. It's rather simple actually. When you go to a Moody Blues concert, for example, it's not just the songs. It's the gathering and the overall feeling too, although I do think that they should change the setlist more often. There are plenty of other artists I can get new music from. Having said that, it's great when an elderly artist still does new music (Neil Young etc.), but I accept that it can't be the norm.

Do the Eagles continue? I don't think so, but frankly at the moment I don't care, because first and foremost these people are human beings with families and lives, not rock musicians who owe me something. They'll probably talk about this when it's time.
    Last edited by chaim; 01-21-2016 at 07:10 AM.

Back when they discussed reuniting in 1990 and Glenn pulled out, Don refused to continue without him. To paraphrase, he said, "Without Glenn, it's Don Henley and his backing band." Now, I consider that an overstatement, but it's his mentality. When you consider the fact that Joe mostly does his solo / James Gang material and Timothy only has four songs to his name in the entire Eagles catalog, you can see how it would be problematic.

The Eagles are over.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by 1EyedWick View Post
    That's another thing that blows my mind. The Eagles unfortunately were like The Rolling Stones and maybe some other acts how they were kind of an "oldies act" where the fans had no interest, curiosity, and inquisitioning about new music mere less new studio l.p.s. Same can be said for Black Sabbath, Queen, Fleetwood Mac, Van Halen, etc. I don't understand how people can be so closed minded about a music act or music acts plural that they seem to give an impression of caring so much about. On some level I can understand if the new music sucks BUT it confounds the mind when Joe Walsh is asked in an interview about a new (at the time of course) solo studio l.p. with the Eagles while he was promoting "Analog Man" first thing in the interview and he states "It is in the can." and then he and the interviewer just move on with the interview focusing only on whatever else not related to that question. (!) Again it leaves me dumbfound not only how that was so overlooked in the interview yet barely any sources address what Joe said that you would think would be interested such as, I don't know, the fans.

So what does it take for the fans to no longer care about new music and only want to hear the same songs over and over for decades and to never grow as either a person or allow the group they admire to change in any way EVER? I mean we are talking about an act that charges far more per ticket than what people spend on buying songs or stealing them. They only had seven studio l.p.s (though I guess they would do songs from groups and projects outside of The Eagles such as solo songs).
    It is not up to the fans to decide what paths these men will now take. It is not a question of the fans not wanting them to continue (although I do not). It is a question of reality.

The comment by Joe Walsh about new music being ín the can has been discussed on this board previously. No matter how much it is discussed by fans, it is not up to us to tell the remaining Eagles what to do.

I'm finding this hard enough as it is without all this questioning about why don't they just continue on as if nothing has happened.

ETA: It is absolutely not true for me at least that I had no interest in new music. I was one of the most passionate advocates for it on this board. But it is too late for that now. I welcome more new music by Messers Henley, Walsh & Schmit; as individuals.
    Last edited by Freypower; 01-21-2016 at 07:48 PM.

It's just like the Broadway play that will never be finished. I can't imagine the guys would ever continue without Glenn. I mean who can ever sing Take It Easy?

I would have been 1st in line for the Pigs Are Gonna Fly Tour but I will always have July 18th 2015 in Atlantic City to remember. That was a 1 year anniversary of my mom's passing. If you would have told me Glenn would have passed 6 months later I would have thought you were insane. He looked so happy & healthy.

Out on the Border Pete Blundell's Avatar

Another band I like,Yes,has tried to continue without its founding vocalist Jon Anderson and now its founding bass player too,Chris Squire.

Its caused no end of division and disunity amongst the lifelong fans.

I would like to see all surviving ex Eagle & current Eagle members re-unite for perhaps a special musical memorial in Glenn's honour,but I agree full touring as The Eagles without Glenn just doesn't seem right.

Out on the Border

I saw the last concert the Eagles have played so far, in Bossier City last July, and I would bet that will end up being their last show ever. I've always thought that you can't have "The Eagles" without both Glenn and Don. Both are essential.

I guess we'll see ...