Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Future Eagles Projects

Banned

Default Future Eagles Projects

I've taken a liberty in diverting an off-topic thread that drifted into on-topic territory here. I hope you don't mind Freypower and UndertheWire.
    Here's a link to the original thread titled New Songs Or Old?
    https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...ead.php?t=5935

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    This is the point; how can artists ever develop if their fan base refuse to let them? This seems to be what has happened with the Eagles. What they should have done after firing Felder was release an album within the next year & it would have proclaimed who they were. Instead they started touring again with old material & all that did was provide ammunition for the 'they're nothing without Felder' crowd. By the time they did release LROOE it was too late - especially as they didn't take the chance to make Joe the sole lead guitarist (Steuart Smith has too much influence on Henley; discuss). So now they've retreated, just become a 'jukebox' again, and I for one think it's wrong. And now it seems to me so does Henley; and I suspect he may want out.
    I'm not sure about Steuart Smith. There were some unfortunate compromises on Long Road Out Of Eden. I think bringing in Steuart Smith was one of them but the band still produced a great Eagles album.

Don's Target version of Cass County album is only two tracks shorter than the Long Road Out Of Eden double album which shows that the medium has changed since 2007. If LROOE was released now it'd surely be a single disc with extras, rather than a double disc with compromises.

Although it has no stand out hit to focus on, I think the Cass County success story is good news for the Eagles future. Don's eager to release more new music, there is new Eagles music already in the can. A lengthy break from touring gives them all a chance to work on new material, part of which can be diverted to an Eagles project.

I'll despair if they reconvene with the intention of continuing the HOTE show.

Both Joe and Don have said that they hold a belief that their best work is in front of them. I hope future Eagles projects will be a part of that, not a diversion.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Future Eagles Projects

I think the success of Cass County shows what can be done with good marketing. From giving a sneak preview to a friendly blogger, through the specially invited audience to the preview in Nashville to create buzz, the free show, high profile Q&As and then the media blitz with the record label paying the expenses of music journalists while they followed Don around. It's been an extrememly costly campaign and I wonder where the break-even point was or will be.

Meanwhile, JD Souther's Tenderness release has been far more low-key and I doubt it has sold that well (if I'm wrong, I would be thrilled). All I can say is that I like it a whole lot more than Cass County.

ETA: I'm not suggesting that Cass County doesn't deserve its success just that the success is the combination of a good product with good marketing. And that's something that they can all learn from.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 10-21-2015 at 06:49 AM.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

From social media it looks like the Schmit family has been in NYC for quite some time - hoping for that Eagles musical!

Does anyone know if Glenn is still living there?

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Glenn has been living in NYC?! Color me surprised.

Is the Eagles musical about the band? Someone in another thread said it's called Hotel California, which makes me mildly concerned that it could be a contrived storyline based on the song. No, that could never happen though, right? They're only calling it HC for the name recognition. It's catchier than Eagles the Band, Not the Football Team.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I've taken a liberty in diverting an off-topic thread that drifted into on-topic territory here. I hope you don't mind Freypower and UndertheWire.
    Here's a link to the original thread titled New Songs Or Old?
    https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...ead.php?t=5935

I'm not sure about Steuart Smith. There were some unfortunate compromises on Long Road Out Of Eden. I think bringing in Steuart Smith was one of them but the band still produced a great Eagles album.

Don's Target version of Cass County album is only two tracks shorter than the Long Road Out Of Eden double album which shows that the medium has changed since 2007. If LROOE was released now it'd surely be a single disc with extras, rather than a double disc with compromises.

Although it has no stand out hit to focus on, I think the Cass County success story is good news for the Eagles future. Don's eager to release more new music, there is new Eagles music already in the can. A lengthy break from touring gives them all a chance to work on new material, part of which can be diverted to an Eagles project.

I'll despair if they reconvene with the intention of continuing the HOTE show.

Both Joe and Don have said that they hold a belief that their best work is in front of them. I hope future Eagles projects will be a part of that, not a diversion.
    All we have to back that up is a throwaway statement from Joe which neither Don nor Glenn have ever confirmed.

I think Don & probably Joe are indeed eager to release new music; solo music.

I don't want them to continue HOTE either. They have to do something different but at this stage, I can't see it. It seems to me they are fading away as Don suggested they would probably do.

It's Glenn I'm worried about. He must be looking at the success of CC & he must be realising that the way he promoted AH was wrong. This of course leads to the next question; was he wrong to release AH?

Regarding this musical, which I desperately hope never happens, I would think it would be a story based on Hotel California. To make it about the band would be ridiculous.

Border Rebel

I don't think Glenn was wrong to release AH, but I did think it would have limited financial success and it did, very limited. However, it was great having something out by him after all these years. STRANGE WEATHER was a great album and had it come out a few years before it did, it would've been way more successful. I still lament the fact that it didn't even chart on the Billboard Top 200 album chart. At least, AH did that for one week.

Nothing would please me more than a new Eagles album, but I'm not expecting that. It seems that Don is content doing his thing and he's got a label behind him (Capitol) that put effort into promoting CC. Glenn did not have that with AH plus there was no way he was going to get any significant radio play with that kind of music. However, I am still so awed by his ability to do justice to all of those great old tunes. His voice, the phrasing and arrangements were all fabulous. I wish I could get that excited about CC.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by scottside View Post
    I don't think Glenn was wrong to release AH, but I did think it would have limited financial success and it did, very limited. However, it was great having something out by him after all these years. STRANGE WEATHER was a great album and had it come out a few years before it did, it would've been way more successful. I still lament the fact that it didn't even chart on the Billboard Top 200 album chart. At least, AH did that for one week.

Nothing would please me more than a new Eagles album, but I'm not expecting that. It seems that Don is content doing his thing and he's got a label behind him (Capitol) that put effort into promoting CC. Glenn did not have that with AH plus there was no way he was going to get any significant radio play with that kind of music. However, I am still so awed by his ability to do justice to all of those great old tunes. His voice, the phrasing and arrangements were all fabulous. I wish I could get that excited about CC.
    Agree on all counts, including the last statement. I also agree that CC has been extremely well marketed.

Stuck on the Border

I'm hoping Glenn will be inspired by the activities of old friends like Jack Tempchin, JD Souther and Jackson Browne and will get back in the studio and on the road because he likes to make music. I'm glad he did After Hours.

I hope so too! I love AH, but I'm torn between wanting AH2 or an album of new music. I guess I won't complain as long as he releases something!

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I'm hoping Glenn will be inspired by the activities of old friends like Jack Tempchin, JD Souther and Jackson Browne and will get back in the studio and on the road because he likes to make music. I'm glad he did After Hours.
    Speaking of Jack, he just put out a new album and the title track "Learning To Dance" is a beautiful ballad that would be perfect for Glenn to sing.