Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles musical: "Hotel California"

Default Re: Future Eagles Projects

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I've no interest at all in a stage musical. As far as I know, it's a painfully slow development process, even without adding an Eagles metabolism to it.

Starting with a writer approaching the band with a storyboard idea. if that's excepted they'll spend a few years kneading it into an entertaining script then they go through a process of recruitment and staging then a period of pre-production. The end product will be stage school types singing the Eagles back catalogue with show time accompaniment.

The Eagles would have little involvement beyond providing the inspiration, unless, for any one who has seen the 2013, Tom Hanks, Emma Thompson film, Saving Mr. Banks, about the Making of Mary Poppins, Glenn is doing a P.L. Travers and steering the process in the right direction.

If the Eagles musical is as good as Mary Poppins, it'll be worth a look although the Eagles song book doesn't contain a bunch of cheery, up-tempo, life affirming, show tunes.

I hope that, after spending some time in the stage musical environment, Glenn will be desperate to get back to making music with the career musicians he's worked with all his life.
    Quite some time ago they stated that Rita Wilson would be producing. I don't know if that has gone by the boards. Rita & Tom Hanks are personal friends of Glenn's. Also, Glenn has been living in New York for a few years now. I have a suspicion that he has been working on this project longer than they are admitting.

Banned

If Glenn has moved to New York to work on the Eagles stage show, I would think the production process is pretty advanced, maybe even working with a venue and cast. I guess everyone involved would have to sign a secrecy clause.

Glenn's adventure in New York city sounds like a potential musical in itself.

I think a Barry Manilow musical had a world wide premier around here. Manilow flew in to view it towards the end of it's run, presumably to judge it's potential but I'm sure he would have been involved earlier than that.

Stuck on the Border

I think they had a director attached at one time - Michael Mayer - but I can't find my source. I remember being impressed by his credits.

From the stuff I've read, a project like this seems like it would appeal to Glenn. More than any of them, he seems to be the one who likes the organising, picking people to work with and fitting it all together. Doing this in a new environment must be exciting and despite the "dictator" accusations, he does seem to be collaborative and able to step back and listen to other people.

Of course, I'd still rather he went back to writing and singing.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I have no interest in a musical either. I would much rather Glenn stick to writing and performing.

And I wonder about his living in NY. Do you think he and Cindy are still together?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

I have started posts on this topic multiple times and have always deleted them. I was waiting for the conversation on the board to come around, and now it has!

Agree with Freypower that it probably past the "exploration" stage, since Glenn moved to NYC and Timothy bought a place and is spending time there with his family.

I think it is a perfect medium for the Eagles to be involved with - creativity, control, music, something different and challenging...what's not to like? And if it's a success - big $$$$$$$$$$$$.

I also think they could do a Laurel Canyon-themed show, with appearances of beloved songs from the period - Linda, Fleetwood Mac, etc...the story of the 70s, but Eagles songs-heavy.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I have no interest in a musical either. I would much rather Glenn stick to writing and performing.

And I wonder about his living in NY. Do you think he and Cindy are still together?
    In one of the NY show reports, there was something about Otis living in NY, so I'd bet Cindy is there, too. link
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 11-02-2015 at 04:43 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    I have started posts on this topic multiple times and have always deleted them. I was waiting for the conversation on the board to come around, and now it has!

Agree with Freypower that it probably past the "exploration" stage, since Glenn moved to NYC and Timothy bought a place and is spending time there with his family.

I think it is a perfect medium for the Eagles to be involved with - creativity, control, music, something different and challenging...what's not to like? And if it's a success - big $$$$$$$$$$$$.

I also think they could do a Laurel Canyon-themed show, with appearances of beloved songs from the period - Linda, Fleetwood Mac, etc...the story of the 70s, but Eagles songs-heavy.
    Funk 50 said that, not me.

Like the Eagles need to make more money. If they have to they should be doing new material, not recycling the same old stuff over & over again. I cringe at the thought of it. I am completely opposed to it & I despair that Glenn is apparently so far into it.

I really like the idea of a HC musical. It gives our guys a new medium to work with and exposes their catalogue to a different audience, so to speak. Plus, I'm a big Broadway fan. Love musicals and plays, especially in NYC, and had the pleasure of attending the Tony awards in 2004 and 2005.

However, a search of the typical show sites (Broadway.com, Broadwayworld.com, and Playbill.com) have not mentioned a thing about it since 2011, so the recent hints from Don could be a step in the right direction.

Perhaps a musical along the lines of "Jersey Boys"? One can only wish!

ETA: Just checked TalkinBroadway.com and its subsidiary, All That Chat, and nothing there, either. It must be seriously under wraps!
    "You thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still."

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    In a picture of Glenn & Bob Seger at Bob's last concert in NY you can see Cindy in the background. I know that isn't real recent, but it's at least a couple of years after Glenn moved there.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post

Like the Eagles need to make more money.
    Do you really believe this? It's all relative. With huge money comes huge expenses. They will ALWAYS want more money. We certainly have no knowledge of their finances, investment performance or financial goals. Their desire to remain relevant and in the spotlight might be as strong a driving force as the money. You will know when they feel like they don't need to actively generate revenue - they will retire permanently. Until then, rest assured they're in it for the money.