Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles musical: "Hotel California"

Default Re: Eagles musical: "Hotel California"

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat
    I think that Owen Wilson, Sean Penn & even Hugh Jackman are all too old & not good enough singers to do it. Plus, I highly doubt any of them would do it. My guess; it would be some younger guys that are really great singers & musicians. Probably unknown guys that they find from various bands. Hair & makeup can make them look more like the guys.
    Realistically, this is probably true. I was just trying to have a bit of fun with the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    I mean what is your opening sequence if it's autobiographical? The Glenn character meets the Don character perhaps? Then what? Does 'Glenn' suddenly start singing Take It Easy?
    Well, there are ways for the songs to be integrated a little more creatively than that, FP - like I said, Jersey Boys managed it, and managed it well.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Well, there are ways for the songs to be integrated a little more creatively than that, FP - like I said, Jersey Boys managed it, and managed it well.
    I was thinking of Jersey Boys also.That was a huge success. People come to hear the music, & the Eagles music is very popular.

I could see Glenn & Don hanging out at the Troubadour & the whole scene that started there. The "New Kids In Town" & how they met & made it big. It would be more than just the "Hotel California" music. I could totally see it!

Don's latest interview seems to imply that it probably won't be biographical. He described the musical as "a theatrical production based on our musical catalog." To me, that leans towards fictionalized story set to their music.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Don's latest interview seems to imply that it probably won't be biographical. He described the musical as "a theatrical production based on our musical catalog." To me, that leans towards fictionalized story set to their music.
    You mean like an Eagles 'Mama Mia'? Interesting.

I don't know what that statement means. I don't think that it's necessarily a fictional story. Sounds like the whole thing is in the very early stages & won't be happening for at least 2 years, so we will see what happens, but it better not be anything like "Mama Mia". That was the pits!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I'm not sure if anything much can be made of Don's comments about the musical. The only thing that seems certain is that there won't be any premiere in the 40th anniversary year. To me, a theatrical production based on their musical catalog could still be somewhat biographical.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    That's what I thought from the beginning, and I still think it is more likely to be fictional if it happens. I saw Mamma Mia and the story was really clunky. I hope they can do something better than that. I suppose I can't see how their own story could be dramatised for the stage. They were formed and became successful very quickly. They had personality clashes. They broke up & reformed. How can that be successfully dramatised and which songs would you use to do it? On the other hand.... I just don't know, to be honest.
    Last edited by Freypower; 10-01-2011 at 12:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I suppose I can't see how their own story could be dramatised for the stage. They were formed and became successful very quickly. They had personality clashes. They broke up & reformed. How can that be successfully dramatised and which songs would you use to do it?
    I can see a biographical story working. Some of the songs might have to be taken out of chronological order though - for example instead of starting with Take It Easy they might want something to reflect them traveling to California full of dreams... (any ideas?). Getting together & recording, then the radio release of Take It Easy.

Also, some songs can be included as a show-within-the-show.

The basic structure would probably be two acts, with 10 or so songs in each act.

Act 1 could be focused on having a dream, working their butts off and succeeding, touring and touching on the "party lifestyle". Oh, and falling in and out of love

Then Act 2 could be the metaphor of the Hotel California / seedy side of the dream, consequences of Life In The Fast Lane and everything falling apart - then the reunion, HFO tour and LROOE album.
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Me likes, EK!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Well, this thread is a year old, but according to Glenn this thing's almost "ready to rock."