Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Eagles musical: "Hotel California"

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles musical: "Hotel California"

Topkat brought this up in another thread. Who knows if this will go any further now that it doesn't have Glenn to push it through.

A little more information came out recently.
    Seger: The last time I saw him was July 24th... Months earlier, he came to see my show at Madison Square Garden. He was with Robert Wuhl and they were working on a Broadway play together. I don't know if it was going to be a musical — he didn't say. But he wanted to call it Hotel California. He was going to do it here in Ann Arbor, work it up with the theater company here. He said, "I'll see you in the fall."
    Seger's MSG shown was in Dec 2014.

Hard to call this one. It sound like it could have been fairly advanced. I understand Robert Wuhl was a friend of Glenn's but he also has Broadway credits.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Yeah I agree, UTW. I imagine everything is probably on hold in Eagle world for now as they still mourn Glenn's loss. I feel sure that Don, Joe, Tim, and Irving will regroup at some point later this year and try to sort through all of this and figure out where they go from here. Oh golly, it makes me so sad to even think about it right now, so my brain can't even begin to grasp what it must be like for them.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Yes, hard to call. Like everything else, it probably comes down to money - how much investors have ponied up so far, and the terms of those investments.

If this show was Glenn's baby and he was the driving force, I don't see it happening now. The other guys won't pick up the reins. If, however, one or more of the guys were very involved, and the current money and future monies will still flow without Glenn's involvement, maybe?

Like I said in the other thread, I think the demand for this to go ahead will be bigger than ever in light of the loss of Glenn.
    If it was Glenn's project, I think that Don will pick it up in honor of Glenn.

I do think there is a demand for rock musicals these days. The biggest shows feature the life of Carol King, School of Rock, Rock of Ages, Jersey Boys & now Gloria Estefan. I do think there is a huge audience for an Eagles story, or a Hotel California, whatever that may be about.

I for one, hope it develops. If Don had any input & I'm sure he did, I think he will carry on Glenn's project.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I saw this mentioned in one of the threads in Glenn's section and I had no idea this was going on. I really hope they do still go through with it. I loved "Jersey Boys" so much. I saw the movie when it came out almost two years ago and I already loved Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, but the cast was just amazing. I had no idea too how large the "Jersey Boys" fandom is till then and I've met some great people through it and became a fan of the actors in it. Even the Broadway and Vegas touring group have their own fans and it's taken on a life of it's own, including one of the casts forming their own band. I saw in a Google search that Don confirmed he was involved with it back in November but interesting to see those articles back from 2012. Musicals do take years to get developed and usually longer than a film or tv series. I've long wanted an Eagles biopic but a Broadway musical would be amazing and would be a great thing to honor Glenn as this sounds like it was his idea originally.

The fact that Hotel California's meaning has been debated by people (Demonic etc) yet shrugged off , laughed off (the idea that its demonic) by Eagle members makes for a complicated project.

The song may be best left alone as is with everyone having their own take on it. A Musical if not well done could tarnish it. If done well, than thats another story.

From the articles linked in here it sounded more like it was going to be a "Jersey Boys" style format and tell a portion of the Eagles history like a biopic but set during the recording of that album but also include songs from before and after that album as well to help tell whatever story was in the script about the guys. "Jersey Boys" however tells the entire story of The Four Seasons from their creation to their Hall of Fame inductions, which I feel with the Eagles full story would work better as a miniseries but that's my opinion.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by buffyfan145 View Post
    From the articles linked in here it sounded more like it was going to be a "Jersey Boys" style format and tell a portion of the Eagles history like a biopic but set during the recording of that album but also include songs from before and after that album as well to help tell whatever story was in the script about the guys. "Jersey Boys" however tells the entire story of The Four Seasons from their creation to their Hall of Fame inductions, which I feel with the Eagles full story would work better as a miniseries but that's my opinion.
    We don't know what format it was going to take. We have no information either way. I think it is far more likely to have been a fictitious story set inside the Hotel California using Eagles songs.

Gotcha. I saw other articles including one from my classic rock radio station saying differently but maybe they were just guessing at it with the other Broadway shows out now about bands.