Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Will they play again?

Default Re: Will they play again?

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    AT - I agree with you that this isn't anything that will happen anytime in the near future, nor would I want it to ... it's still way too soon for that, IMHO. But, down the road, maybe this time next year or in 2018, it may be something I'd look forward to. I agree it would be some pressure on Deacon, but he has seen his father on stage since he was born, so I think in that sense, I don't see it as a huge adjustment. As I said in my earlier post, Glenn can never be replaced in the band nor do I think this would be an attempt to do so. It would never be the same, but if anyone can stand in for him and perform his songs, for me, Deacon is the only acceptable choice. I wouldn't envision this being a world tour or anything on that scale, but rather a mini tribute tour to honor Glenn and the band.

In any event, at this point, it is pure speculation so we'll just have to take a 'wait and see' attitude.
    I agree with Dreamer & FP. I think that if it did happen it should only be a one off performance or a very limited tour.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

In regards to Dhani Harrison I've been a fan of his band thenewno2 since 2009 and in the early years it used to bug so many of us Two fans that some wanted him to sing his father's songs. He used to avoid answering questions about it and we all knew it bothered him and he was trying to promote his own work and band. It's changed over the years for him for the better and it just got me worrying that Deacon could go through the same thing. That's again why I was shocked Don said it. But I agree that is a very high compliment from Don and I too think it would be more of a limited performance.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    What I'm about to post is only my opinion.

I know Deacon would have big shoes to fill to step into his father's shoes, but I think Deacon might say yes if Don ask him and if the guys decide to go back on the road together down the road. IMO I think it would happen even if its next year or in two years. I know I would go.
    I would want to go too. At the same time, this subject makes me sad. Maybe it has to do with it being 9/11 and I've been kind of sad all day. I wonder if Don actually discussed this with anyone or if he was just thinking out loud.

Stuck on the Border

In a recent interview, Timothy said they were starting to heal and I think this is an indiciation that Don is beginning to heal. In the early days, it seemed impossible that they could play again but it sounds like Don is wondering about ways to continue in some way.

I find it hard to imagine them just going on tour but with Deacon taking Glenn's parts. Who would taken on the parts that Glenn did behind the scenes? Would everything be preserved as it was or would they try new material and arrangements?

How would Deacon feel about becoming a clone of his father? I assume he has ambitions of his own and probably becoming a tribute act for his own father isn't one of them.

A tribute show, or limited series of shows would be a different. We had a long thread where we talked about that. A show with guests like Jackson Browne and JD Souther as well as Deacon, would seem fitting, especially if the profits were directed towards causes that Glenn supported. Just as they decided that it was appropriate for the remaining band members to perform at the Grammy rather than have someone like Lady Gaga, perhaps they would feel that any bigger to tribute should be equally personal.

Maybe they'll get together and talk about it in January.

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    In a recent interview, Timothy said they were starting to heal and I think this is an indiciation that Don is beginning to heal. In the early days, it seemed impossible that they could play again but it sounds like Don is wondering about ways to continue in some way.

I find it hard to imagine them just going on tour but with Deacon taking Glenn's parts. Who would taken on the parts that Glenn did behind the scenes? Would everything be preserved as it was or would they try new material and arrangements?

How would Deacon feel about becoming a clone of his father? I assume he has ambitions of his own and probably becoming a tribute act for his own father isn't one of them.

A tribute show, or limited series of shows would be a different. We had a long thread where we talked about that. A show with guests like Jackson Browne and JD Souther as well as Deacon, would seem fitting, especially if the profits were directed towards causes that Glenn supported. Just as they decided that it was appropriate for the remaining band members to perform at the Grammy rather than have someone like Lady Gaga, perhaps they would feel that any bigger to tribute should be equally personal.

Maybe they'll get together and talk about it in January.
    I agree that a tribute show or a limited series of show as you mention would work. They're probably just beginning to discuss possibilities.

Having Deacon singing some or all of Glenn's parts on at least a short tour would really be great for his career, even if he didn't want to do it long term. And let's face it, the Eagles (or whatever they're called without Glenn) most likely won't be doing anything long term at this stage. I have to think Glenn would be smiling at Deacon singing his parts, which is I think at least part of why Don's considering it.

Border Troubadour

I wouldn't be opposed to a one-off gig with Deacon primarily replacing Glenn and perhaps some old friends like JD and Jackson making guest appearances for some songs, as perhaps one final farewell, maybe with proceeds from the evening going to causes that were close to Glenn. I would hate it if the final apperance we ever saw from arguably America's greatest band was them playing one song in the most downcast and sombre mood any of them had probably been in for years: if there could just be one proper final act, one last goodbye then I think that may be the right thing to do. A marathon where they play all of their hits and perhaps a couple of covers as a tribute (not of Glenn's discography, just poignant songs) with Glenn's apprentice at the helm is probably the way to end the Eagles story.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I wondered why no one had commented on Don's statement in the other thread! It has it's own! lol

I will just copy here what I said there-

I can't say I would like that at all, but that's just me. I just can't see the Eagles without Glenn, whether they would call themselves the Eagles or not. I don't know...

And, I can't even imagine wanting to go see them without Glenn. Nothing against Deacon, but he just isn't Glenn. I guess they could do a one time thing..............
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border Witchy Woman's Avatar

I think too much is being made of Don's comment about Deacon. I interpreted it to mean if they were going to perform again they would like to include him, as he can sing and play rather well himself. I did not get the impression he meant any kind of tour, only if they were to perform together, not necessarily under The Eagles moniker. It would be nice if they did something on the first anniversary of Glenn's death. But I wouldn't read any more into it, as Don has stated several times that The Eagles are over.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I doubt that they'll ever tour again. As far as I see it, the band doesn't exist anymore, but it's music and legacy, and Glenn's as well, do live on. I would like to see a proper tribute concert sometime down the road, which would be recorded and released on DVD/Blu-ray.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Back to the Future.