Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: KISS

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: KISS

One more thing about KISS and "satan". Gene's solo album from 1978 starts with a guy's voice repeating a word that has the letters "S" and "T". The word is "S--T--" something. A few years ago someone asked Gene via his website if that word is "Satan". Gene was clearly very annoyed and said, "It's 'SANCTUM' (and I believe he explained what it means). Stop being so childish".

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I've never been a fan of KISS, but like some of their songs. Rock N Roll All Nite, Hard Luck Woman, Beth, Detroit Rock City, I Was Made For Lovin' You, Calling Dr. Love, and Lick It Up are all great rock songs.

As far as their get up, I can say I tried to watch one of their concerts on tv a while back and I just couldn't watch! To me, they just looked bizarre and it made me not want to watch them. I could listen, but not watch. It was just too weird for me and seemed fake.

I heard all of the satanic hype about them too and just didn't care whether it was true or not. I just wasn't interested enough in it all.

I have heard through a friend that went to a concert that they put on one heck of a show, but I don't think I could watch one!

I do agree Gene Simmons must be a genius and I like his show.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

At first I must make clear that I LOVE this forum. Just to "stir the pot" in a warmhearted way
    A song with chord progressions straight from the renaissaince era (sung by Paul):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Bcyk2C9Sto

A song that could be a troubadour song from the Middle Ages in terms of the scale and rhythm (sung by Gene):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOTUPhS7cPA

And one of the most beautiful pop songs ever, with my favourite guitar solo of all time - by the RHYTHM guitarist of KISS, Paul Stanley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7ofrdBdJRM

They are a truly lovely band, who can laugh at their own image, and it does break my heart that people think that those guys are "satanic".
    Last edited by chaim; 12-15-2012 at 04:01 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Default So KISS is now in the Hall Of Fame too

...although Paul said in his speech that it doesn't mean a thing what a couple of people who make these decisions think.

(I tried, but couldn't find the old KISS topic to put this in!)
    Last edited by chaim; 04-11-2014 at 03:20 PM.

Default Re: So KISS is now in Hall Of Fame too

for KISS

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: So KISS is now in the Hall Of Fame too

Soda can probably move these posts to the existing HOF topic.

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/foru...ead.php?t=4816

I'm glad they are in the HOF, no matter how much of a joke I think the institution is. I do however think the whole lineup should have been honored, especially Eric Carr and Bruce Kulick...

KISS was definitely influential on late 70s/80s hard rockers and many years after that. I mean KISS influenced glam bands like Motley Crue (along with the NY Dolls) and plenty of others.

I'm not a diehard fan and I get sick of the whole brand and I'll be the first to admit they aren't world class musicians by any stretch but their songs are FUN and they are a great example of rock n' roll and having fun, no matter how trivial their lyrics or simple their music may be.

I feel the same way about Poison.... I mean - they may not be the most talented bunch but I can't resist cranking "Nothin' But A Good Time" when it comes on. Or in KISS's case "Strutter" or plenty of others. And the fact KISS always wanted to put on a show and give fans their money's worth was always cool IMO. No matter how gimmicky it may be.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

I don't know if I should be in a different thread or what, but Paul Stanley is doing a book signing at my local military base on Friday - I have access to the base. I might go check it out. I'm not a big one for standing in line for ANYTHING, but if it is easy, I might buy the book and get a pic with him...in honor of the fact that theirs was the first album I ever owned, when I was in first grade in 1975!!

http://www.mccsmiramar.com/pdfs/Paul...ooksigning.pdf

Very cool MC!!

I definitely want to get his new book. I've read Gene's, Ace's, Peter's, and have been waiting to have the last piece of the puzzle!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

If the old KISS thread still exists, maybe this thread can be moved there? I went through the old topics twice when I was thinking about this topic, but couldn't find it! Now that Paul's book is discussed too, maybe they all could be under the same KISS topic.

Anyway, I bought Paul's book yesterday. All signs I had seen said that the book won't be available here in Finland for a little while. So imagine my surprise when I made a routine visit to the biggest bookstore in this town and saw it there!
    I've only read about forty pages so far, but Paul's childhood was clearly horrible. There was never any kind of affection or support from his parents. Paul was born with one good ear. The other one was deformed and he couldn't (still can't) hear with it. All the kids kept shouting ("Stanley the one-eared monster!" - Stanley was his first name originally). Paul writes that it was even worse that grown ups kept staring at him too. In classrooms he couldn't hear what the teacher was saying a lot of the time, so he missed a lot of stuff. Teachers kept telling his parents that this kid is bright, but he won't do anything with it. His parents bought this and were angry at Paul, although they knew that it was hard for him to hear. Paul eventually let his hair grow, and it hid his deformed ear. And his parents threatened to cut his hair!
    Paul's big sister had bad mental problems. Once when she was "on holiday" from a mental institution, their parents left the children home alone when they went somewhere (A badly disturbed girl and his little brother). Paul's sister freaked out at some point and started running after Paul with a hammer. Paul eventually ran into a closet and kept wishing that their parents would come home. His sister started beating the closet door with the hammer. Then at some point it stopped. The parents were home and they were furious at Paul!
    I'm so glad that Paul got through all that s*** mentally, although it took several decades. And above all, I respect very much the fact that he doesn't pass it on to his kids ("My parents didn't care for me, so why should I care for you?"). And I hope that his relationship with his parents is great today - especially his mother, who was the mean one. They appeared in a KISS documentary and look like nice people.

Paul also compares the kind of treatment he and Gene got from their parents. Well, Gene never saw his father again after moving to USA, but he was, and still is, very close to his mother. Paul was always wrong, while Gene's mother treated Gene like he was a king. Paul writes: "Even when he was on the toilet, she believed he created masterpieces".

And one interesting thing. At some point I wondered who Paul's son, Evan, looks like. I don't see any Paul in him. There's a picture in the book where Paul's father is young - maybe in his twenties or early thirties. Know I know who Evan looks like!!
    Last edited by chaim; 04-14-2014 at 04:24 AM.