Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What Eagles songs best exhibit Don's drumming skills?

Default Re: What Eagles songs best exhibit Don's drumming skills?

I have to agree with everyone on HC. I was air drumming to the last part. I always do. Even when I'm watching it on YouTube. It's cool that he goes over to the bongos in the solo show, but I have to admit, I was listening to Scott at that point Saturday night.

I have to say that I enjoyed when they showed him drumming on every song on HFO. He showed a lot of expression and drum attitude and they showed it.
    <a href=http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x350/wkc814/Signature%20Banners/fwhugsig-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/...fwhugsig-1.jpg</a>

Quote Originally Posted by Henleyfan View Post
    I have to agree with everyone who has posted so far. I think the two songs that best demonstrate Don's drumming are Hotel California and Life in the Fast Lane. Of course I also agree with Heartache Tonight and One of These Nights.
    After I posted the above I went back and listened to more songs and I think Victim of Love and Witchy Woman also demostrate Don's drumming skills.

Border Desperado

HC, OOTN, LITFL, TL Run
    Be part of something good,
    Leave something good behind.

I'd have to say...One of These Nights, Too Many Hands, New Kid In Town (especially the drum fills at the end), def. Victim of Love, any song off On the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Henley is an extremely underrated drummer and I wish he would play drums on ALL Eagles songs they do live (with the possible exception of the acoustic songs). However, I don't have the skills to explain why I think the drumming on particular tracks is good or not because I know nothing about drumming.

Hotel California & Life In The Fast Lane stand out. I have always liked his work on Pretty Maids All In A Row (watch the HFO version) and also Heartache Tonight & King Of Hollywood.

Of course we don't know on which tracks he plays drums on LROOE, which I find frustrating, because I would like to know.

He only plays drums on 5 solos songs. They are I Can't Stand Still, Long Way Home, Them & Us, Lilah & Love Rules. Of these the standouts for me are ICSS & Love Rules.
    Have to agree with the above. Two comments I would add about Don are that firstly he is one of the least flashy drummers I've ever seen, but metronome perfect... Secondly, the fact that he is happy to move over to percussion and let others carry the song shows an integrity and humility many other artists could learn from. I feel he knows what works for the song, and if he believes another muso would do a better job than he, be it on drums, vocals, guitar, whatever, he puts the song and the music first...

I woke up this morning with an attitude
    looked at the headline, put me in a real bad mood

I think Don is more than happy to hand off drumming duties - I don't think he enjoys drumming very much anymore. It's hard on his back. Still, when he does choose to do it, he does it well.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

[QUOTE=sodascouts;181837]I think Don is more than happy to hand off drumming duties - I don't think he enjoys drumming very much anymore. It's hard on his back. Still, when he does choose to do it, he does it well.[/QUO

Came across this thread because I'm home and bored by what's on TV, and I just finished transferring the Madison Square Garden videos I took to DVD, and I got Don drumming on the brain syndrome.

I also wonder why he downplays his drumming skills when the subject comes up in interviews. He has said in a drumming magazine interview that he doesn't enjoy drumming as much because of his back problems. I was amazed that he played drums as much as he did at the MSG concerts, my only reference to a full length show being Farewell I and he seemed to switch off to percussion more during that show, but he really got into it during OOTN!
    As for songs that show off his skills, to go with HC and LITFL someone mentioned Too Many Hands and King of Hollywood, and I would add Those Shoes.

Border Troubadour

I have to be totally honest here, he isn't the best drummer in the world; but to sing like he does and play drums is something quite special. Whether it's the high notes on OOTN or the verses of HC he's got an amazing ability there. Like someone else mentioned I really wish he still did drums 95% of the time like he did in the 1970s, but if it gives him back trouble then fair play if he doesn't want to, there's a vid of him performing HC on guitar (with what looks like a very simplified rhythm!) a few years ago which I assume is because his back was bad. Other songs which really demonstrate decent drumming (with or without lead vocals) are Witchy Woman, Out of Control, Hollywood Waltz (ending), and LITFL. The only thing that I guess annoys me slightly was on a vid of them back in HC era performing Walk Away. The original has a very complex and open drumbeat, and Don just did snare-hi hat for all of it, just sounded a bit wrong IMO.

Out of interest, does anybody know if Glenn's lacking of piano / keyboard playing is for similar reasons or does he just prefer to stick to guitar?

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    Out of interest, does anybody know if Glenn's lacking of piano / keyboard playing is for similar reasons or does he just prefer to stick to guitar?
    Maybe his arthritis makes it harder to play these days. He always has one of his hands wrapped, which I assume, is because of that. Just speculating.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I reread this thread, and one song that doesn't get a lot of mention to my surprise is Heartache Tonight. I just love the drums in this song.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016