Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What Eagles songs best exhibit Don's drumming skills?

Default What Eagles songs best exhibit Don's drumming skills?

We were talking about Don as a drummer in another thread. Despite the fact that I prefer some other drummers to Don, I also think he is very good and often underrated (even by himself). I figure we could talk here about songs where his drumming stands out.

One example is "Desperado"; I like the arrangement of the drum track there and the way it's initially absent, then comes in with the "feet get cold in the wintertime" part and amps up the drama of the song, taking it from there. You don't have to be banging away to drum well. Many times "understated" is appropriate.

What other songs demonstrate Don's talents as a drummer?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default Re: What Eagles songs best exhibit Don's drumming skills?

Hmm. I'll have to think about this and do some listening but the one that comes to me right away is.....wait for it.... Hotel California! Just the way he keeps that beat and doesn't lose it while he's singing a long song. Having to remember the lyrics AND drum and keep the rhythm tight at the same time AND having to sing while keeping your arms and legs going is very tough. So with that said, I think Hotel California is his best "drumming song". And I'm not being biased to that song. I think just the combination of singing a long song with lots of lyrics while keeping the rhythm going and not missing a beat is very tough and I think he really shines at doing that, most notably on Hotel California. There ya go.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I pick Life in the Fast Lane for all the same reasons Austin picked HC! There are songs where the drums are a good accompaniment to the guitars and there are songs where the drums move the song. LITFL has amazing guitars, but the drums drive the song in my opinion.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I would say either HC or LITFL are both great examples of Don's best drumming and singing at the same time. How he does it, I can't imagine. I think Don is a great drummer as well as singer, just not as flamboyant as some others.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I would definitely say Hotel California for this one. How he can sing and play at the same time, I don't know... but he's sure good at it. Plus, I've always loved the way the drums are played on the song.
    I'd also say LITFL because the drums in the intro combined with Joe's famous riff really start the song with a bang and keep the energy going through the whole song. (Does this make me sound like a music expert? Because I'm really not. :P)
    ~ Tori
    https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/downloads/images/henley24.jpg

Desperado (reprise), Peaceful Easy Feeling, One Of These Nights, Witchy Woman

Stuck on the Border

Henley is an extremely underrated drummer and I wish he would play drums on ALL Eagles songs they do live (with the possible exception of the acoustic songs). However, I don't have the skills to explain why I think the drumming on particular tracks is good or not because I know nothing about drumming.

Hotel California & Life In The Fast Lane stand out. I have always liked his work on Pretty Maids All In A Row (watch the HFO version) and also Heartache Tonight & King Of Hollywood.

Of course we don't know on which tracks he plays drums on LROOE, which I find frustrating, because I would like to know.

He only plays drums on 5 solos songs. They are I Can't Stand Still, Long Way Home, Them & Us, Lilah & Love Rules. Of these the standouts for me are ICSS & Love Rules.

I hate to not contribute anything "new" to the convo lol, but I'd have to agree with Life in the Fast Lane, One of these Nights, and Hotel California. LITFL has such a driving beat, that the drums are a HUGE part of that song, imo. I think I noticed it even more live. Same with One of These Nights.....I noticed live how impossible I thought it would be to keep up the rhythm that he does on the cymbals. lol HC has such an unusual beat (to ME at least lol) that I can't imagine HOW in the world he plays that while singing. I think I'd probably throw James Dean in there as well.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Some of the others mentioned I think showcase the arrangement of the songs. The drums add a lot to the songs without necessarily needing a lot of talent to play. But it is a skill, a very important one and probably more important than actually playing. IMO the ability to arrange a song is the most overlooked factor. Lyrics and the playing of guitars, keyboards, and drums are always talked about, but it's how all the pieces come together that puts the Eagles heads and shoulders above other bands. So it irritates me to hear critics say that Don isn't really that good of a drummer. There's a lot more to it than sitting there with sticks and beating on things the entire way through every song.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

I've said many times before that I'm not musically inclined whatsoever so all of the technicalities of guitar work, drumming, etc. are lost on me. I just know what I hear and when it's the Eagles playing I like it a whole lot.

The first song that immediately came to mind was HC. I think Don's drumming on the album version is great but when I first saw and heard it performed live was when I really noticed the drums, especially toward the end of the song when Joe and Stu are cranking it up on those guitar solos. The drums really add to the intensity of this song. I could be wrong but it seems like Don adds a little more to it towards the end of the song now days than on the album version.

I wish I had gotten the full song here at last years concert in Wichita but I'll take what I can get.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1QrJSevRao&feature=channel_video_title[/ame]
    ~Jess~

Stranded "on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
    Such a fine sight to see."