Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: What Eagles songs best exhibit Don's drumming skills?

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Default Re: What Eagles songs best exhibit Don's drumming skills?

From the Eagles studio albums, a few favourites that immediately spring to my mind are:

Witchy Woman (original, but I also loved his drumming on the HOTE version)
    Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise (absolutely love his parts on the outro)
    One Of These Nights
    Hollywood Waltz
    Hotel California
    Life In The Fast Lane
    Pretty Maids All In A Row
    Those Shoes

These aren't the only ones, but they were the first I thought of. Although not so much for his drums, I really like the tablas-style percussion he does in the middle part of Too Many Hands - I was listening to this a couple of days ago. Hotel California is special to me as it's the only song I've seen him play percussion on live, although I nominated on account of the great drumming on the original.

I'm not really enough of an expert to judge drummers on a technical basis. I can tell that guys like John Bonham, Ginger Baker or Neil Peart from Rush are/were clearly great drummers, but beyond that I simply judge it on. While Don himself will admit he isn't the most technically gifted drummer out there, I don't think he was a weak link for the band. I think he has always had a good feel for what each song requires and he has played quite a few different styles successfully. IIRC I read that the drum sound on the Eagles albums (not necessarily the playing, but the actual sound) was seen as being a gold standard back in the day.

Border Troubadour

Default Re: What Eagles songs best exhibit Don's drumming skills?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    While Don himself will admit he isn't the most technically gifted drummer out there, I don't think he was a weak link for the band.
    Controversial opinion time - on very rare occasions he was. Listen to Walk Away from Houston '76 and compare that to how Jim Fox played it in the James Gang. Different arrangements granted but Don's trusted hi-hat and snare combination sounds so out of place. Presumably it got better when Joe Vitale joined for The Long Run tour and it did when Scott Craigo primarily took over from '94 onwards, as both were more open and fluid drummers who fitted the style a lot better, and that allowed Don to move onto percussion and fill the song out a bit more.

You can't take away Don's drumming on Eagles originals mind. In addition to those mentioned already, his drumming during 'It's like going to confession...' in Get Over It is very impressive. I think it is Don who played that in the studio and not Scott.