Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Eagles harmonies

Default Re: Favorite Eagles harmonies

One song that I find underrated overall, but has amazing harmonies has to be "try and love again". I love the "ah ooooo" part in the Middle and the "gonna try gonna try gonna try" part in the Outro. I LOVE that song and I wish they had put it out as a single and played It live but oh well...

Stuck on the Border

YEF - I love TALA too. They did sing it while Randy was still in the band. Many years ago I had read an interview with Glenn, who stated they had planned to release TALA as the next single from the HC album. Glenn stated because Randy had left the band they never released it as a single. A shame because that song is beautiful and Randy just nails it.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    One song that I find underrated overall, but has amazing harmonies has to be "try and love again". I love the "ah ooooo" part in the Middle and the "gonna try gonna try gonna try" part in the Outro. I LOVE that song and I wish they had put it out as a single and played It live but oh well...
    It is my fervent hope that when the special edition of Hotel California is released, one of the live tracks will be TALA.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    I can't speak to how it was performed live, but on the album version, I'm pretty sure that's Henley harmonizing on the final verse. I think Glenn joins in on the 'oooh' parts. This video plays the vocals, drum and bass parts so anyone who is interested can listen and decide for himself. I agree the harmony here is lovely.

It starts about 50 seconds in.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tI7rwWJ1v3g
    A superb find, thank you very much. I will agree that that without question is Henley. I'm trying to remember back to HFO but I think when I saw them play it live in the HOTE tour Glenn was in there too. I seem to recall Timothy remained silent in all instances, including the outro, which must make it one of the very few live songs he does no vocal work at all on.

Border Troubadour

It is my fervent hope that when the special edition of Hotel California is released, one of the the live tracks will be TALA.
    Is there a source for this? I don't doubt you, it's just I find it hard to keep on top of the rumour mill, especially of late!

I do like TALA, indeed the first chorus ('the look was in her eyes...') is very well done; however I always thought it was let down by the seven quadrillion year long fade out. How many times does Randy need to say 'Gonna try'?!

Re: the video, you're welcome, tlr.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    Is there a source for this? I don't doubt you, it's just I find it hard to keep on top of the rumour mill, especially of late!
    The source is Don Henley, according to the Runaway Tour thread. Granted, since we're talking about Don, it may be the 45th anniversary before we see the special edition, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    I do like TALA, indeed the first chorus ('the look was in her eyes...') is very well done; however I always thought it was let down by the seven quadrillion year long fade out. How many times does Randy need to say 'Gonna try'?!
    As many times as he wants.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

I can't speak to how it was performed live, but on the album version, I'm pretty sure that's Henley harmonizing on the final verse. I think Glenn joins in on the 'oooh' parts. This video plays the vocals, drum and bass parts so anyone who is interested can listen and decide for himself. I agree the harmony here is lovely.

It starts about 50 seconds in.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tI7rwWJ1v3g
    Well, that is an illusion shattered for me. I thought it was Glenn for all these years. Yet MORE Henley vocals on a song where for once I thought Glenn played a more prominent vocal role.

Oh well.

My favourite song for harmonies is my favourite song, New Kid In Town, and I will leave it at that, except that now I've been corrected on PMAIAR I will give a huge shout out to Glenn's efforts during the verses on LROOE. And that IS Glenn. It's nobody else.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Well, that is an illusion shattered for me. I thought it was Glenn for all these years. Yet MORE Henley vocals on a song where for once I thought Glenn played a more prominent vocal role.

Oh well.

My favourite song for harmonies is my favourite song, New Kid In Town, and I will leave it at that, except that now I've been corrected on PMAIAR I will give a huge shout out to Glenn's efforts during the verses on LROOE. And that IS Glenn. It's nobody else.
    There's at least one more harmony part that is on the record (PMAIAR) that is not in that "isolated" clip. There's certainly a harmony vocal below Joe's main melody during the verse about ribbons and bows. If you hear his voice there somewhere, that lower voice could easily be Glenn.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    There's at least one more harmony part that is on the record (PMAIAR) that is not in that "isolated" clip. There's certainly a harmony vocal below Joe's main melody during the verse about ribbons and bows. If you hear his voice there somewhere, that lower voice could easily be Glenn.
    Thank you so much for saying that.

It didn't even occur to me that whoever made the clip might have only isolated one part.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Thank you so much for saying that.

It didn't even occur to me that whoever made the clip might have only isolated one part.
    Also, Glenn, Randy, or Joe himself, may have doubled one of the harmony lines even though his/their voice is not on that clip. I love all these clips with isolated tracks, but they don't necessarily contain everything. They may, but not necessarily.

(Sometimes everything is not what it seems with these clips. There's a "Welcome to the jungle" clip with Izzy Stradlin's guitar only. Here and there Izzy's guitar disappears and a guitar played by Slash's takes its place. There's another "isolated track" clip from WTTJ (don't remember which instrument or if it's a vocal track), where you can hear the "missing" Stradlin guitar bits. In other words, it looks like they cut Izzy's guitar part here and there and moved some of it to another track. So his guitar can be heard throughout, but not always on the same track. When I looked at the YouTube comments, many people seemed to believe that those Slash punch-ins were Izzy and they were amazed.)

I'm not saying that Glenn sings in the final verse in PMAIAR (I have no idea whether he does or not). I'm just saying that the isolated clip doesn't prove that he doesn't.